Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

Dogs finished 7th then were given pick 18 in the draft because at the end of the season they finished 1st, them's the facts mate,
They aint facts, they are just your incorrect assumptions carrying through.

Draft order takes into account performance in finals, the ladder doesnt.

Carlton fans aren't pretending anything, at the end of the finals last season we were the third best team.
Even if using finals, GWS had better results and came closer to beating the minor premier and eventual premier in a PF.

So if looking for who was the 3rd best team in 2023 finals, GWS clearly the answer.

So Buckley wrong, didnt strengthen the position of Pie posters, sack him as analyst of the game.

Hoyne now more reputable due to favourable analysis

A click bait media dream
Bucks was always wanting
They aint facts, they are just your incorrect assumptions carrying through.

Draft order takes into account performance in finals, the ladder doesnt.

Even if using finals, GWS had better results and came closer to beating the minor premier and eventual premier in a PF.

So if looking for who was the 3rd best team in 2023 finals, GWS clearly the answer.
I think GWS and Carlton were both better than Brisbane in the end last year. The Gabba was a fortress and GWS were on that much of a role that they wouldv'e won anywhere. I can't really split them but as much as I hate to say it, Carlton might have had the edge.

Bucks was always wanting

I think GWS and Carlton were both better than Brisbane in the end last year. The Gabba was a fortress and GWS were on that much of a role that they wouldv'e won anywhere. I can't really split them but as much as I hate to say it, Carlton might have had the edge.

Toss of the coin, GWS are probably the most talented list in the comp, but still haven't clicked consistently

Toss of the coin, GWS are probably the most talented list in the comp, but still haven't clicked consistently
I just think they had a little less experience than Carlton last year and the way they started this year, I thought they'd arrived but they've lost a few games this year, regardless of missing a couple of players. It's becoming less of an excuse this year to use injury as an excuse. It's all about belief, systems and processes

I think GWS and Carlton were both better than Brisbane in the end last year.
Please, Brisbane didnt start playing until 20min into the game and were still able to turn off and cruise to the win.

Carlton barely got over the 8th placed Swans and 4th placed Dees...both times the opposition had more shots on goal.

Meamwhile, the Giants easily accounted for the 6th placed Saints and 3rd placed Power away and pushed the minor premier Pies more than any other team.

GWS and the Lions were both much better performed teams in September compared to Carlton.

Please, Brisbane didnt start playing until 20min into the game and were still able to turn off and cruise to the win.
This is such poor and obviously biased footy analysis. To say because Carlton jumped a team it meant that opposition team simply didn't show up is ridiculous. Brisbane won the next two quarters - do we give them credit or was that just Carlton switching off?

And BTW in 2023 Brisbane at the Gabba was a far harder matchup than Collingwood at the MCG. So yes GWS got closer (by like 2 goals mind you) but the matchup was definetly not as difficult compared to the Blues.

This is such poor and obviously biased footy analysis. To say because Carlton jumped a team it meant that opposition team simply didn't show up is ridiculous. Brisbane won the next two quarters - do we give them credit or was that just Carlton switching off?
Why the feck would a team switch off in a Prelim Final?

Due to the pre finals bye, and finishing top2, it meant Brisbane had played only 1 game in a month.

Once the Lions clicked into gear they kicked 10 goals to 1, it wasnt even a contest.

After Collingwood and Brisbane, pretty obvious to anybody watching the finals that GWS was the next best performed team.

Due to the pre finals bye, and finishing top2, it meant Brisbane had played only 1 game in a month.

Once the Lions clicked into gear they kicked 10 goals to 1, it wasnt even a contest.

After Collingwood and Brisbane, pretty obvious to anybody watching the finals that GWS was the next best performed team.
Maybe because they had just played 10 Elimination Finals in a row and were pretty much either buggered or just playing injured like Acres/Docherty etc. But in the end Lions were just better in the 2nd and 3rd like we were in the 1st.

And on your last point you were the one that used margin in PF to justify that view. If that is the evidence you have then you have to consider difficulty of the matchup. Brisbane at the Gabba > Collingwood at the G' in 2023.

'why the **** would a team switch off in a Prelim?'
'Lions just needed to click into gear'

Why the **** would Lions need to click into gear for a Prelim?! :confusedv1:.

Your bias is causing you to have double standards.

Maybe because they had just played 10 Elimination Finals in a row
Didnt Carlton have a dead rubber in R24?

But in the end Lions were just better in the 2nd and 3rd like we were in the 1st.
Exactly, when the Lions played they kicked 10 goals to 1. They just toyed with Carlton.

If trying to determine the 3rd best team of the finals was, the answer aint Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton were very banged up by the last game. Cripps had broken ribs, Acres & Docherty needed shoulder surgery - there were more.

Flip a coin who the best team was. Our QF final matchup was way harder then theirs (don't care what the ladder says). Their SF matchup was on par - Port were a step below Meblourne and coming off a 10 goal QF loss, but it was at AO so that's a bloody good win regardless by GWS. They put up a better performance in the Prelim though.

Didnt Carlton have a dead rubber in R24?

Exactly, when the Lions played they kicked 10 goals to 1. They just toyed with Carlton.

If trying to determine the 3rd best team of the finals was, the answer aint Carlton.
Carlton couldn't move anywhere in RD24 so yes dead rubber but that is irrelevant to my point. Make it 10 of 11 games or whatever it is the point still stands.

And when Carlton played they kicked 5 goals to 1 in a quarter. Bizarre to put that down to Brisbane not playing well but then Brisbane's run was all because of them. You can't have it both ways.

Who you think was the 3rd best team is your opinion which is fine and I'm not disputng that. What I am disputing is you using margin in the PF to justify that when the games were not of equal difficulty.

It has been consistently raised as a concern of the pre finals bye.

The winner of the qualifying final (Brisbane) ends up having played just 1 game in a month before the PF.

Pull up some examples in previous years of teams having a week off and don't come to play for the PF.

Carlton couldn't move anywhere in RD24 so yes dead rubber but that is irrelevant to my point.
They didnt play 10 EFs in a row.

Had a dead rubber and then a week off before finals.

Who you think was the 3rd best team is your opinion which is fine and I'm not disputing that. What I am disrupting is you use margin in the PF to justify that when the games were not go equal difficulty.
Port won 17 games in 2023, they won the 3rd most games.

Outside of the two GF teams, GWS were clearly the 3rd best performed team in September.

But a few deluded Baggers believe they finished 3rd...because of a draft order. 🤣

Outside of the two GF teams, GWS were clearly the 3rd best performed team in September.

But a few deluded Baggers believe they finished 3rd...because of a draft order. 🤣
Deluded for disagreeing with you on a completely subjective matter? The arrogance is extraordinary...

So because Port won 17 games, that made them vastly superior to Melbourne who won 16 and were 1 spot lower on the ladder?

But Carlton technically finished higher than GWS at the end of the year, as well as the H&A season - yet you don't apply the same strict logic?

You're all over the shop.

Pull up some examples in previous years of teams having a week off and don't come to play for the PF.
I get Carlton fans haven't had to worry about being a QF winner innthe 21st century, but it has been a big talking point since the AFL introduced the pre-finals bye.

Whateley suggested the fact qualifying final winners end up playing one game in around 27 days is part of the problem.

FAST STARTS

A common trend across Preliminary Finals since the pre-finals bye was introduced has been slow starts for the team coming off the second week off.

Back