Why didn't Richmond play Geelong at GMHBA?

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw earlier that someone posted highlights of a Geelong v Richmond prelim final held at Waverley.

I don't recall people complaining back then. Anywhere... anytime
We would have won that if it was at the MCG.

I saw earlier that someone posted highlights of a Geelong v Richmond prelim final held at Waverley.

I don't recall people complaining back then. Anywhere... anytime

Because it wasn't Richmond's home ground..... That would have been the equivalent of holding the prelim final last year at Etihad

Why aren't there threads about when Geelong play Hawthorn, Collingwood or Essendon at the MCG as their home game?

Well it was a Port fan that made the thread, maybe they placed the bait and left to watch the fireworks.

But a couple of reasons, your fans cried up a storm when you had to travel to Geelong last year. Hawks, Pies, Dons haven't played in Geelong for a very long time so Richmond seems the more achievable whinge. Lastly you blokes are bloody good on the G, you play the G that much better than you play other grounds and the same can't be said about the Hawks or Pies at their peak a few years ago who played all grounds well but were still beatable on the G.

Port had 26k turn out for the Thursday night match, now that’s pathetic!!
Having a stadium at 49% capacity on a cold wet Thursday night against an interstate club with a membership of what 45k?

Compared to having a stadium at 46% capacity on a cold wet Sunday afternoon against a club boasting 90k+ members on their home deck.

Which one is pathetic?

This is hilarious

Essendon dont play cats in geelong for 25 years and no one says a word

Richmond goes a year without going to Geelong and its pure outrage

This board is amazing :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

47,000 crowd is a poor turn out for a club that has over 90,000 members and above that many other supporters.

Considering that this is no different to most other games during the home and away season in Melbourne recently between these two sides there really is no reason to play it here. Furthermore the whining from Richmond fans about having to go down to Skilled and that they shouldn't have to because they are a big club and have a huge member base is simply now not justified.

I am not sure if Richmond supporters are scared of the weather or just don't really turn up to show support at matches but based off today there is a strong case to say Geelong should be hosting a game between these two sides at Skilled Stadium.
You don't live in Melbourne do you? Yesterday was freezing and pouring with rain.

It looks like the equivalent to them selling games.

They earn good money from a 30K crowd at Kard Pk, and it is only their membership that needs to be kept happy...NOT the AFL or anyone else.
Who gives a s**t if you may have been able to fit in an extra 20-30K. The benefits of an extra cpl of wins each season are far greater...unless of course you prioritise a business model over honoring the history and future of the club.
They can blame anything and everything, but they need to stop dancing between 3 different venues as a home game due to outside influence and chasing a few bucks. That is not the way of the future.

We happily support Kard Pk and honour the request each year. Its a popular game each season. A win at Kard Pk feels like a proper away win. You feel like you've actually played Geelong, rather than an away game against a business venture.

Are you just another Melbourne club ? or are you truly Geelong ?

If Geelong finish above us on the ladder and we play them in a final...they can even charge us double or triple and we will still get on a plane.

If fans of Melb clubs wont...farrrkkk em.
If the AFL doesnt like it...farrrk em. Go on strike or make a bloody big deal out of it. They will be forced to concede.

ALWAYS take the true home ground advantage. That is the game. That is the nature of a HnA competition.

TBH I don't think the crowd is really the issue here, it's that Geelong and its fans chuck a fit when they don't get home finals in Geelong against other Melbourne clubs, yet they're happy to play home games during the season at the MCG. Either Kardinia is your permanent home or it's just a spiritual home you play at against poor drawing/smaller clubs. It's been the latter for many a decade now and even with the increase in capacity, Geelong and its fans have no right to whinge when their hpme finals are scheduled for the MCG.
But we're not. Our CEO and President have publically asked for 11 home games at KP. Stop spitting drivel as fact, stop selling home games to the NT, fulfil the AFLs contractual obligation so we don't have to, and allow us to actually play 11 games at home.

Richmond goes a year without going to Geelong and its pure outrage

Agreed its not a Richmond matter, but the outrage from Tigers supporters + the Caro media brigade last year was ridiculous. Doesn't help.

BTW a port supporter started this thread.

Agreed its not a Richmond matter, but the outrage from Tigers supporters + the Caro media brigade last year was ridiculous. Doesn't help.

What outrage? The only outrage came from cats fans sooking that the QF was at the G lol when have you ever played another big vic club in a final at Geelong? Ill answer for you, never.

As soon as Richmond is involved theres outrage. Just typical of this board.

25 years without going to geelong for the dons and not a thing said. We cop a whole thread for one year of no Geelong.

Amazing.

Yeah, Richmond fans got pissed that some clubs didn't have to go there and we did, even though the arguments for them being treated that way (crowds mostly) applied as much or more to us too.

Doubt you'll find many Richmond fans who would object to playing in Geelong if ALL teams got treated equally for those games.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably because they're 8-2 against Hawthorn and 4-1 against Essendon.
we've beaten them the last two times we played them thanks :p

Seriously though, All Vic clubs should play down there when they draw Geelong at home
Sending Non-Vic teams to Geelong, Tasmania and Etihad is poor planning. Those clubs should be at the G as often as possible if the AFL is keeping the GF there for the next 40 odd years.

Btw there was barely any outrage from Tigers supporters at all. I would say the significant and vocal majority were comfortable playing down there. There was talk about the bad things about playing there (eg. ticket prices, lack of tickets unless you want to sit by yourself, MCG just being better), but none of it was outrage. Your incorrect memory of what we were saying doesn't help.

What outrage? The only outrage came from cats fans sooking that the QF was at the G lol when have you ever played another big vic club in a final at Geelong? Ill answer for you, never.

As soon as Richmond is involved theres outrage. Just typical of this board.

25 years without going to geelong for the dons and not a thing said. We cop a whole thread for one year of no Geelong.

Amazing.
I actually thought it all started when tiger fans sooked it up about playing the H&A game at K.Park. Quite reasonable to complain that you were the only big club playing down there, but not so to complain about Geelong ‘s home game being at their home ground. So it sort of rolled from there.

Forget the crowd issue completely. That's all bollocks when the AFL have a $2.5 billion TV deal in place. Geelong must play all their home games in Geelong no matter who the opposition team is....The real slap in the face is they face Richmond again in 6 weeks time on a Friday night (prime time) and it's the Tigers home game. They don't even give Geelong a prime time spot for an MCG home game, instead they schedule this match on a Sunday twilight (the graveyard shift) which is just pissing all over us...
I find it odd that in the UK teams like Manchester City and United still have to travel to Bournemouth with a stadium capacity of 11,500!! You don't hear a peep!
11 home games at Geelong and all teams must travel there every couple of years!
I don't know what all the fuss is about, the Cats are not good enough anyway, we wouldn't beat Richmond in the return match if we started tomorrow!

Having a stadium at 49% capacity on a cold wet Thursday night against an interstate club with a membership of what 45k?

Compared to having a stadium at 46% capacity on a cold wet Sunday afternoon against a club boasting 90k+ members on their home deck.

Which one is pathetic?
Geelong. Where were all their members? It was their home game which means they get in for free. I paid up and went and can tell you that there were quite a few Richmond supporters there that payed extra to be there on a cold and wet late Sunday afternoon.

I think we held up our side of the bargain but the Geelong members didn't.

Or do you have a smarty pants crap answer to that too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back