Play Nice Will Geelong win the 2016 premiership?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Its called the draft. Mills didnt play. Get your own Academy using the Mills/Heeney rules.

Mills rules: 3 years of Auskick and then 5 years of Rugby Union. Start AFL at 12.

Heeney Rules: dont even think about AFL until 12. Play cricket, soccer and rugby league until then.

Get a Academy with little to no background of AFL until 12. Everyone should get one.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I'll go and set one up

Geel's most glaring problem is their midfield. 2 stars in danger and Selwood, a gritty dependable type in Guthrie and a collection of spuds who never deliver when the heat is on - Duncan caddy Motlop. Menegola is inexperienced and can be excused for being a deer in the headlights last night.

As for their supposed recruiting spree last summer, as I predicted pre-season, none of s Selwood Henderson smith or Stanley was a factor when it counted. Why? Because they are just not that good.

Overall the list is in terrible shape - lonergan is clearly finished as a key defender against the best forwards, it was like buddy was playing on a school boy last night. Taylor is still solid but aging. Hawkins is showing all the signs that he is on the edge of the cliff and about to topple over. I don't care how many he kicks against ordinary opposition when the cats are rolling over the top at kardinia park, I am happy to judge him on his performances against the best, and recent evidence suggests he could be next year's travis Cloke.

Only another year out of the box from danger stands between them toppling out of the 8 in 2017.
Agree with a lot of that but I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the list is in terrible shape, they will have to try and bring some pace in from somewhere as that was clearly an issue last night, we had a lot of forward entries vs perhaps the best midfield and that midfield will be very similar next year.

Danger and Selwood both git 39 disposals last night, swans didnt have a player over 30, says alot cats reallybon those 2 while Sydney have an even contribution.

Danger and Selwood both git 39 disposals last night, swans didnt have a player over 30, says alot cats reallybon those 2 while Sydney have an even contribution.
The remaining three teams are "even" contribution teams. Happy they are the last three (even though we are out and Pepsi and Coke are still in it). Makes sense these three are the teams at the end.

Their midfielders went at a pretty bad efficiency. JPK went at like 56% and the best was around 72%.

They won the game through an elite defense and offense.

We had 5 years of it but that didn't explain our loss to fremantle in 2012.
Would have been a factor.

Its not the only reason we were off this year though. NB: You always get accused of making excuses when you mention reasons for not making it. We weren't good enough - that's the main reason

Not having a decent tall forward was a big one. And I reckon Clarko tried something that didn't pay off game style wise too (but i'm hoping its the makings of genius for the future).

Lots of people like saying our older players were off this year but I actually don't think they were. Hodge, Sammy and Burgers were still very good at the end of the year.

Anyway - who cares now. Tonight should be a cracker

Where is Caddy at? Was a top prospect and has a habit if playing 1 good game in 4. Should Geelong put him on the trade table? Lots of issues now down at th cattery

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's supposed to hold nearly 40,000 when it's completed. By that logic Sydney, the Adelaide teams and the Perth teams - and Brisbane for that matter - shouldn't be hosting finals.

Not sure if you've noticed but historically we haven't had THAT much trouble winning at the MCG. Which happens when you play two finals at your home ground in a century or more.

It is home state advantage not home ground advantage. Big difference.

Will guarante Adelaide will never have to worry about playing finals at Geelong, all our Vic finals will be played at the G why? The AFL is guaranteed crowds of 50k+ involving the Crows - our supporters travel.

By the way, we get 50k at our Adelaide Oval finals, another 25% higher than the capacity of Geelong stadium.

Explain this soft draw concept. I'll bite.

Chow down on this. 2015 Geelong don't make finals, therefore they get a soft draw in 2016. Happens when you finish lower on the ladder. As you finished top 4 in 2016, you'll have a harder draw in 2017. Chomp... chomp... chomp...

Just some food for thought... 6 losing finals out of 8? Wrong coach, wrong list or bit of both?

It is home state advantage not home ground advantage. Big difference.

Will guarante Adelaide will never have to worry about playing finals at Geelong, all our Vic finals will be played at the G why? The AFL is guaranteed crowds of 50k+ involving the Crows - our supporters travel.

By the way, we get 50k at our Adelaide Oval finals, another 25% higher than the capacity of Geelong stadium.

It's actually 20 per cent once the redevelopment is done.

What did footy park hold?

Hate quoting myself ... but these seem relevant.

They fell into our trap. See Dangerfield is like a virus, he is so good at what he does that teams can't help but become infected by him - and reliant on him.

It starts with a few shanks bursting out of the centre, but a full blown infection includes stealing the ball off of his own team mates and smashing through multiple tackles to then kick it out of bounds (usually to the right forward pocket) while the commentators cream themselves and he burns 5 or 6 of his team-mates.

It takes a while for all of the symptoms to become apparent to a new supporter, but like poor Adelaide over the previous 7 years - Geelong are now experiencing the joy of Danger winning the highlight reel comp while the team loses. Heaven help them if he wins the brownlow a few times before his retirement ... Geelong might need a priority pick. :D

I'm actually look forward to the discussion surrounding how crap would Geelong be without Danger. Then we Crows Supporters will have even more empathy and understanding for you and your fellow pussies.

Sound familiar? You see, although PD is now in the lime-light 24/7 in Melbourne - he has been doing this stuff for years. He is not the answer (by himself). So now you are one year on from all the pre-trade hype, and PD is about to win the Brownlow - do you see why Adelaide fans were saying that PD is awesome but comes with some big deficiencies? Do you see why Adelaide fans hated the "no Danger, no Adelaide" rubbish that was being sprouted when he left?

A team that builds it's midfield around PD will always struggle imo. Having him as one of your soldiers - absolutely - the guy is bulletproof ... but he is not the blueprint for the modern AFL midfielder. When he was at Adelaide I was always pushing for him to go up forward, permanently ... that would probably work at the Cats too? He can use his power and speed and his excellent contested marking - and more of his kicking will be set shots where he can compose himself and at least perform at or above the average in terms of accuracy.

Explain this soft draw concept. I'll bite.

Geelong had the 10th ranked fixture in 2016, toughest fixture at home / 2 easiest fixture away ... with only 5 interstate games.

final_reg_season.png

The thread title should now be changed to will Geelong win a premiership again with this list, the answer is no.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hate quoting myself ... but these seem relevant.

Sound familiar? You see, although PD is now in the lime-light 24/7 in Melbourne - he has been doing this stuff for years. He is not the answer (by himself). So now you are one year on from all the pre-trade hype, and PD is about to win the Brownlow - do you see why Adelaide fans were saying that PD is awesome but comes with some big deficiencies? Do you see why Adelaide fans hated the "no Danger, no Adelaide" rubbish that was being sprouted when he left?

A team that builds it's midfield around PD will always struggle imo. Having him as one of your soldiers - absolutely - the guy is bulletproof ... but he is not the blueprint for the modern AFL midfielder. When he was at Adelaide I was always pushing for him to go up forward, permanently ... that would probably work at the Cats too? He can use his power and speed and his excellent contested marking - and more of his kicking will be set shots where he can compose himself and at least perform at or above the average in terms of accuracy.

Geelong had the 10th ranked fixture in 2016, toughest fixture at home / 2 easiest fixture away ... with only 5 interstate games.

View attachment 292311

Yet we continually beat teams who theoretically had a tougher draw. I don't understand the logic. Mathematically we would have had to have played 5 more games - so literally ALL of our double ups - against top 8 sides to lose an extra game (based on the fact that we averaged a loss every 5.5 games against top 8 sides). Yes, playing Essendon and Brisbane twice helped. But whenever we played a strong opponent, aside from the first Sydney game we played well. Even losing to the Giants in round two or whenever it was, we still went close.

Where is Caddy at? Was a top prospect and has a habit if playing 1 good game in 4. Should Geelong put him on the trade table? Lots of issues now down at th cattery
was thinking that last night... for the amount of pump up he gets from the supporters you would think he would start delivering..

It's actually 20 per cent once the redevelopment is done.

What did footy park hold?

Not sure if maths is your strong topic? Based on capacity of 40,000 x 25% increase = 50,000.

Adelaide Oval - capacity 53k, Footy Park - capacity 51.5k.

PS : is there another stand to be redeveloped after this one?

Last edited:
Back