Traded Will Hoskin-Elliott [traded to Collingwood for their 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

The correct term for it is 'flakey'
I think that's unfair
He isn't a contested ball beast and never will be. He has silky skills though, and can kick on the run like few players.
He's playing a more convential role with the Magpies, we seemed to use his run more. Could just be maturity.

So after the 1st Season looks like Collingwood did very well with this Trade.

WHE Has Played all the games this season and Adds class that we Lack

He's been okay, still very in and out of games though. Consistency is an issue but the talent is there that's for sure.

Agree that this has been a solid trade win and positive gain for Collingwood.

WHE was always well-loved by the fans at GWS with belief in him bringing class & x-factor to the team, but he just couldn't cement a spot in the best 22, mainly due to the series of little injuries that he suffered from. This year has been his best return, surpassing his 2014 season when he managed 20 games (in all stats except goals, I think), and demonstrates what he can do when fully fit and playing consistently. It's ironic that his body stayed strong in the one year that GWS has suffered a horrendous injury count and could have used him!

But he's certainly been good for Collingwood, who got a bargain with only giving up pick 24 (now 23 with GWS' penalty) one year later. Still a bit if improvement to play a consistent high level throughout a whole game, but solid foundations shown this year and hopefully he can continue to develop.

24 reducing to 23 with the GWS penalty.

I'd say slightly in Collingwood's favour, but only a touch.

In the end, despite the Eddie McGuire-GWS animosity, all of our trades have actually ended up pretty mutually beneficial - Adams/Shaw, Treloar & now WHE.

Pretty silly to be calling winners/losers at such an early stage 12 months in.

He gets injured again and struggles to get fit, than GWS have won by getting a 2nd rounder. GWS pick up the next Wayne Carey with pick 23, again, they've won.

He goes on to play another 100+ games for the Pies, then you can classify it as a win for the Pies.

I don't think it's 'silly' - certainly premature in a 'whole of career' consideration, but everyone wants that instantaneous gratification nowadays. And it's no different to assessing your draft picks after their first/second/etc year. In short, it's just a 'after one year' assessment, was it a reasonable trade?
I'm still undecided, especially considering his injury history, plus we don't even know what GWS will make of their return in this trade.

So far WHE has played his role pretty well but I haven't seen how he was a pick 4. Hopefully we get to see some more of him and his talents over the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, the injury aspect is always a consideration if considered injury-prone. WHE never had any really major injuries, just a series of small ones. However, it's a reasonable question of whether that's symptomatic of his light frame and a risk going forward. Notwithstanding, there's always a risk with any draftee, and if I considered it in comparison to 'was that a reasonable year for a second year draftee', I'd be pretty stoked. What GWS make of the trade is, IMHO, not directly relevant to whether it was a reasonable trade. All draft picks are speculative. We could have taken pick 77 and drafted the next Sam Mitchell - but the trade itself would still have been unders IMHO. Anyway, good luck to the lad, there was never any ill-will towards him in leaving GWS and I hope he does well for you guys over the next few years (although perhaps not against GWS :p).

Last edited:
I'm still undecided, especially considering his injury history, plus we don't even know what GWS will make of their return in this trade.

So far WHE has played his role pretty well but I haven't seen how he was a pick 4. Hopefully we get to see some more of him and his talents over the next few years.
I think he's definitely playing differently with the Pies. He does seem more disciplined restrained from taking risks. Ultimately that's a matter for your club. We saw a guy that coukd could do amazing things at his best. The one thing I didn't think he'd ever be was a role player, but what do I know.

I think he's definitely playing differently with the Pies. He does seem more disciplined restrained from taking risks. Ultimately that's a matter for your club. We saw a guy that coukd could do amazing things at his best. The one thing I didn't think he'd ever be was a role player, but what do I know.
You can see glimpses of that X factor, but you're right in that he has been generally playing within a certain limitation.

The one blight on his game, and it's only minor considering the role he plays, is that he isn't a fan of contact/hardball gets, but that isn't the role outside players/runners and he makes up for it with his marking/contested marking ability.

I don't want to be too optimistic, but from what I saw this season, I believe he has an even higher ceiling and if he can stay on the park, he can be an exceptionally talented wingman/HF of the comp.

You can see glimpses of that X factor, but you're right in that he has been generally playing within a certain limitation.

The one blight on his game, and it's only minor considering the role he plays, is that he isn't a fan of contact/hardball gets, but that isn't the role outside players/runners and he makes up for it with his marking/contested marking ability.

I don't want to be too optimistic, but from what I saw this season, I believe he has an even higher ceiling and if he can stay on the park, he can be an exceptionally talented wingman/HF of the comp.
Mirrors my thoughts about his future. Positive thing is he's fit and getting on the field regularly.

Wish we had about 3 of him, his overhead marking is a highlight the only flaws in his game is he can go missing for period of time, has all the tools don't remember Collingwood player who has so many attributes.

Pretty silly to be calling winners/losers at such an early stage 12 months in.

He gets injured again and struggles to get fit, than GWS have won by getting a 2nd rounder. GWS pick up the next Wayne Carey with pick 23, again, they've won.

He goes on to play another 100+ games for the Pies, then you can classify it as a win for the Pies.

WHE Could also have a Massive 2nd Season like Paul Medhurst Did when we Traded him in the Tarrant Trade

He had quiet a good year. I thought Collingwood may have overpaid slightly at the time. However looks a very even trade. Of course we don't know what GWS will do with the pick.
He's about what you'd expect with that pick but your a 50% chance or more of completely missing with that pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back