Will we see a fire sale at Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem for the Hawks is that they won't get full value for anyone they trade out unless a team is desperate.

*Gunston and Bruest hold the most value and would likely net a first rounder from a team on the cusp of winning a premiership.
*Rioli would only be worth trading to a team who think he is the missing piece as no one else will give a first rounder for him due to his age.

Problem for the Hawks is that they won't get full value for anyone they trade out unless a team is desperate.

*Gunston and Bruest hold the most value and would likely net a first rounder from a team on the cusp of winning a premiership.
*Rioli would only be worth trading to a team who think he is the missing piece as no one else will give a first rounder for him due to his age.
Its probably too early for this thread, we dont know who the top teams are and we dont know what holes are in their lists.

I expect IF any deal that gets done will be the for the missing piece category.
(Excluding Gunston who almost all clubs in the league would put up an offer maybe not one to get him over the line but i doubt anyone goes "PASS")

Does a club need a mid sized defender? Stratton
Does a club need a Wing? Isacc
Does a club need a goal kicking HF? Bruest

etc..

Argueing full value etc this early is pointless because we dont know what clubs are there to pay what.....

Its probably too early for this thread, we dont know who the top teams are and we dont know what holes are in their lists.

(Excluding Gunston who almost all clubs in the league would put up an offer maybe not one to get him over the line but i doubt anyone goes "PASS")

etc..

Argueing full value etc this early is pointless because we dont know what clubs are there to pay what.....

Agreed.

I was mostly just trying to point out that the Hawthorn mid-age guys will likely only be traded to top teams (whoever they may be).

I agree that the value of them will be dependent on who those top teams are.

For example I could see the Bulldogs giving value to get Stratton and Gunston across but probably would nto be bothered with Smith or Bruest unless the deal was in their favour.

On the flipside I could see West Coast giving up a good pick for Cyril to put him at the feet of Kennedy for his final few years in a bid to snag a flag.

Agreed.

I was mostly just trying to point out that the Hawthorn mid-age guys will likely only be traded to top teams (whoever they may be).

I agree that the value of them will be dependent on who those top teams are.

For example I could see the Bulldogs giving value to get Stratton and Gunston across but probably would nto be bothered with Smith or Bruest unless the deal was in their favour.

On the flipside I could see West Coast giving up a good pick for Cyril to put him at the feet of Kennedy for his final few years in a bid to snag a flag.
using Essendon for an example:

Lets say Eddies dominates Rd 21 and a final against the Dons. Also he isnt the only Small Fwd who dominates against essendon throughout the year and finals.

Essendon finnish 5th have pick 14, they know hawthorn might move Stratton on and he has a proven record in a good side against those types that have recently dominated against you.
pick 14 seems like overs but you might be able to work something else out because you know hawks want draft pick. something like hawks paying half of strattons contract and offering a pick upgrade later in the draft like a 3rd round pick into a 2nd.

if there are no obvious other holes in your list and stratton still has 4 years left in your window. Essendon need to decide if they can use pick 14 to draft a player who is ready to fill that hole keep developing someone and hope those players improve or......

But West coast who finnish 4th and have pick 15 would never in a million years consider Stratton at that price regardless of the other bells and whistles but as you said Cyril might excite them.

Last edited:
Considering all the Hawks fans are talking about getting Whitfield then you'd think he'd be their 'top draft pick' for 2017, much like O'Meara/Mitchell were last year. No need to go into the draft if you pick up a similarly rated player with a couple of years under their belt.

This would be where Rioli/Breust/Smith etc come in. Hawthorn just need to sell it right to GWS. Probably more chance if GWS don't win the flag this year and the Hawks 'present' the missing piece of the puzzle.

Considering all the Hawks fans are talking about getting Whitfield then you'd think he'd be their 'top draft pick' for 2017, much like O'Meara/Mitchell were last year. No need to go into the draft if you pick up a similarly rated player with a couple of years under their belt.

This would be where Rioli/Breust/Smith etc come in. Hawthorn just need to sell it right to GWS. Probably more chance if GWS don't win the flag this year and the Hawks 'present' the missing piece of the puzzle.
Lol. We have cap that is bursting.

Unless the Hawks want to include their salaries in their cap i cant see it happening. Even then i couldnt see it happening.

Hawks are in trouble.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

For '18? Cant see it.
But, to be fair, at the beginning of '16 i wasnt expecting an extension then either.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
you guys would have a little kitty if Whitfield hypothetically got traded and SJ retired. Back on topic one of the above mention Players could fit in.

Not sure if they are needed though!

etc..

Both Adelaide teams will pass and probably all interstate team will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

General Giant, just quickly do you think S.Johnson going to get a new contract?
I think he might struggle to complete this year, my tip is a retirement through the year. He just looks older and slower, but never write off a guy that good. I suspect he wont play NEAFL if he's dropped, and it wouldn't be right. He will transition into a coaching role as intended with us if he wants it.
If you're thinking that leaves a hole for Bruest then I agree, I think it would be less in your interests than in previous years. I also think Toby is becoming the defensive small forward we have needed. Our talls like Jezza getting better at this side of the game as well.
Maybe a player trade rather than picks would work, salary in, salary out.

I think he might struggle to complete this year, my tip is a retirement through the year. He just looks older and slower, but never write off a guy that good. I suspect he wont play NEAFL if he's dropped, and it wouldn't be right. He will transition into a coaching role as intended with us if he wants it.
If you're thinking that leaves a hole for Bruest then I agree, I think it would be less in your interests than in previous years. I also think Toby is becoming the defensive small forward we have needed. Our talls like Jezza getting better at this side of the game as well.
Maybe a player trade rather than picks would work, salary in, salary out.
It would have to be a player swap of some kind for salary reasons wouldnt it?

And yeah I wouldnt expect another god father offer.

Also toby is more then good enough as a small fwd i agree.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What the hell is with the over valuing of draft picks here? As if a team in premiership contention wouldn't pay a first round pick Rioli?

It would have to be a player swap of some kind for salary reasons wouldnt it?

And yeah I wouldnt expect another god father offer.

Also toby is more then good enough as a small fwd i agree.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Still a hole for us he could fill. Partly his skill but also the poise and the fact he comes from your system a positive. Sides need balance.

Collingwood should throw the kitchen sink at Gunston. Exactly what they need. Yes he is contracted I know - but a pick 4 would get it done. Has 5 years left in him.

Then I would say Breust, Shiels, Smith, Puopolo, Rioli, Birchall, Whitecross are all on the table.
The only untouchables are Roughy, Burton, JOM and Mitchell.

If the Hawks really did decide to bottom out and trade some of these guys for picks then they would get nowhere near the minimum salary cap. Presumably (unless AFL rules don't allow?) they could "package" up short term continued payments (i.e. reduced salary cap burden on acquiring club) along with the player for a better pick.

I'm not sure if I would trade the Dogs first pick for Breust/Gunston but I might if we didn't have to incur [all] the wages under our salary cap for a couple of years.

Again, assuming the rules don't prevent it, I think this could become a trend in years to come for bottoming out teams with excess cap room to effectively "house" underperforming former stars on big coin in exchange for picks. In a scenario where the Dogs had someone on their list on big coin (pls avoid Boyd jokes) but was not in the clubs plans, then the benefit clearing that salary from our cap (and use that money on retaining other stars) may actually outweigh the benefits of our 1st/2nd round pick ... and as such would almost pay a bottom team with picks to take them.

Collingwood should throw the kitchen sink at Gunston. Exactly what they need. Yes he is contracted I know - but a pick 4 would get it done. Has 5 years left in him.

Then I would say Breust, Shiels, Smith, Puopolo, Rioli, Birchall, Whitecross are all on the table.
The only untouchables are Roughy, Burton, JOM and Mitchell.
Pick 4? Nah, he's not a genuine KPF. He won't solve the problems we expect he would. I'd trade players for him but for once, we need to keep our picks in line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back