Traded Zach Tuohy [traded to Geelong with 2017 2nd rd pk for Smedts, 2017 1st rd pk and pick 63]

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we should have squeezed you guys for more. 15 odd and Smedts for Touhy and 20 is unders. Because of our lowballing of Touhy and the fact he was uncontracted we were limited in how hard we could push back.

Smedts looks like a bloke with talent that refuses to pull his finger out. Delisted in short order if he doesnt.

Of course, we didnt know where those Draft picks were going to land last year. But I would have thought 10-18 for the cats was a fair estimate, and 19-23 was a fair estimate for us.

In the long run we got the currency we needed to do the deal with GWS for Mbank and Pickett (and retain pick 5 used on SPS) so it works out.
Geelong are historically very good to deal with. They just get deals done. Swings and roundabouts..

The whole point of my post was to point out that Carlton could have used the pick for Gibbs to acquire Marchbank and Pickett

We got Marchbank and Pickett and were always going to. Was just a matter of what we had to give up for them and we done the best deal possible for us. Was a bargain basement deal at our end. Very happy with two players I expect to be 10 year players for us and play in a few premiership teams in the next decade.

In conclusion every club got what they wanted out of the trade sequence and every clubs supporters are happy................except other supporters whose club had no bearing on the trade who wish to start a s**t fight..........................

If Lids kicks the winning goal from boundary line after the siren in extra time on weekend everyone is happy.

Shocking deal for GWS...shocking to give up pick 17 and a third for an aging, injury-prone Deledio who has done nothing this year.

At this stage i would agree but if he plays a crucial role in helping them win the PF this week it could change that.

Smedts looks like a bloke with talent that refuses to pull his finger out. Delisted in short order if he doesnt.
Not a charge I'd have leveled at him whilst with us.

Of course, we didnt know where those Draft picks were going to land last year. But I would have thought 10-18 for the cats was a fair estimate, and 19-23 was a fair estimate for us.

I don't think it's an effort thing with Smedts. He's just a s**t kick and poor and decision maker

Yeah but is he more valuable than Tuohy, Pick 20 and Jarryd Lyons?
Easily. I liked Tuohy but he is 27 and plays hbf. Docherty (AA), Simpson, Byrne (22), macreadie (19) all played hbf and did well. Pick 20 is speculative, could pick a Langford/laverde/or similar who still haven't cemented spots after 3 years - very hit & miss at that pick. Lyons is a nice player, but a B grader which we have plenty of..does not fit our needs.

Gibbs is an A grader which we don't have many of..so yes, more valuable to us.

I seriously doubt you're going to get more than the equivalent of Tuohy, Pick 20 and Lyon's for Gibbs this year.

Docherty would have relished the opportunity to play midfield and Simpson looks cooked to me.
Docherty was All Australian as our hbf'r. Pretty sure he relished playing that role. It's a bit like saying Hurley would relish playing forward. He might, but that isn't his best value to the team.

I like Tuohy but his finals campaign reinforced what most at Carlton knew. He is a very solid foot soldier, but when the heat is turned up in big games and finals he can't go to another level. Gets beaten in way too many one on ones and his decision making and kicking efficiency go out the window.

Still a good trade for both clubs, but I'm happy with marchbank and Pickett (not so much with Smedts).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is a rubbish finals player. Seems to lack the agility to lock down on the best smalls. Was shown up big time against adelaide. Needs solid lockdown defenders around him to do the heavy lifting

So it ends up pick 15 and Smedts for pick 20 and Tuohy.

Cats with the trade of the off season last year, buy a mile.

It wasnt the only good trade by a club last year thats a bit much. But we are happy with it will be top 6 in our b & f.

Is a rubbish finals player. Seems to lack the agility to lock down on the best smalls. Was shown up big time against adelaide. Needs solid lockdown defenders around him to do the heavy lifting

Thought our team selection did him no favours last night. Lonergan, Henderson, Taylor, Mackie, Kolo all in the back 6 at points, making Touhy directly responsible for Cameron more often than not. Would have been better off having Zuthrie in, Stanley out and Taylor forward.

Zach has been excellent this year. Even last night he was solid although did make some turnovers but gee wizz he wasn't on his Pat Malone there.

More than worth what we paid for him. Filled a need and has excelled.

Having watching every single game this season any suggestion to the contrary is just usual Bigfooty grandstanding

I like Tuohy but a lock down defender he is not. I agree.
Perfect loose player across half back. We know that but needs to be used in that way only.

I like Tuohy but his finals campaign reinforced what most at Carlton knew. He is a very solid foot soldier, but when the heat is turned up in big games and finals he can't go to another level. Gets beaten in way too many one on ones and his decision making and kicking efficiency go out the window.

Still a good trade for both clubs, but I'm happy with marchbank and Pickett (not so much with Smedts).

How could you possibly know that? How many big games and finals did he play at Carlton?

Sure he had a shocker, wasn't the only one, it was easily the biggest game he's ever played. He'll learn from it like the rest of the team, and hopefully be better for it.

Pretty pathetic bump if I'm honest.

How could you possibly know that? How many big games and finals did he play at Carlton?

Sure he had a shocker, wasn't the only one, it was easily the biggest game he's ever played. He'll learn from it like the rest of the team, and hopefully be better for it.

Pretty pathetic bump if I'm honest.
I could know that because I watched Zac play a lot of footy for the CFC. In many of our clutch games he got found out. You must remember we don't play in front of 35k bias fans at kardinia park..we play in front of 70k-80k at the MCG v Collingwood Richmond Essendon. They are big games.

In his three finals for Carlton Zac was underwhelming. In two of your three finals this year he was horrible. The only one he played ok in was a game you dominated, with very little finals pressure.

To me he is a good home and away player but cannot adjust to the increased tempo of finals footy. That's an observation after watching him for 7 years and seeing all of his finals. I made this observation whilst he played for Carlton and didn't perform in finals.

So in answer to your question; he played in countless 'big games' and three finals for Carlton. His decision making and kicking become shaky and his opponent generally beats him in one on ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back