Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough. EFC are working on the basis they don't "get busted by WADA" and even if they do, they could do better than most of those players through state leagues. Walker had currency, now has minimal and isn't a guy you'd build a side around anyway. Watson's worth nothing. Jones still has another 2 years on his CFC contract. Ellard is not AFL standard, barely VFL standard. Rowe's a good story but not much of a footballer. Jamo's cooked. Armfield's claim to fame is running fast without knowing what he's doing and being the MMM lovechild because his name's Dennis and he has a moustache. Warnock's an example of what's been wrong with Carlton's trading/list management for the last 20 years, overpayed for him and he's never delivered.
LOL:thumbsu:

So you like Jones:$

Agree those trades are unlikely, but we need good young ones coming through and have holes all over the list, so not sure a win-win trade will happen. I actually like Watson, but I think we will lose him for nothing (another first round draft pick down). Carlisle will add to our list if Hendo goes, but he is not a silver bullet so doubt it will be an 'overs' trade.

LOL:thumbsu:

So you like Jones:$

Agree those trades are unlikely, but we need good young ones coming through and have holes all over the list, so not sure a win-win trade will happen. I actually like Watson, but I think we will lose him for nothing (another first round draft pick down). Carlisle will add to our list if Hendo goes, but he is not a silver bullet so doubt it will be an 'overs' trade.
I don't really like Liam Jones but haven't met him so don't know him personally. What I do like is that the Carlton management thought he was a great pickup and worth a 3 year contract.

Agree that a win-win trade isn't gonna happen but we'd be better off picking up some kid at pick 110 than having Ellard/Armfield/Watson etc on the list. Carlisle wouldn't be a silver bullet for you but he would be easily your best KPP no matter which end of the ground you played him at.

Sam McClure on 3aw tonight (his record on mail is only good for carlton stuff) - carlton are front runners for carlisle. dogs not in it.
Says carlton could threaten PSD because he believes Brisbane will take Dixon with pick 1 in the PSD.
Gc will jump us on the ladder of they win the Qclash. Leaving us to take Carlisle with pick 2 in the PSD.

Even if it doesn't eventuate, the ability to use the psd as a threat should mean we pay unders for him in a trade.

*essendon supporters - don't shoot the messenger*

I beleive he said 'IF' he decides to leave. Pretty important I would have thought. Carlton are front runner IF he decides to leave as opposed to he is going to Carlton.

We've all seen how the AFL manipulates the rules to force their view on what they want for a club - e.g. Sydney's trade restrictions, Swan's COLA yet Brisbane doesn't. GWS COLA, yet Gold Coast doesn't get one, etc.

If Dixon in particular were to leave the Suns via the PSD, you can get your house that the AFL will step in to protect their precious Suns from being stuffed over, then implement some random arbitrary rule only applicable to one club rather than a blanket rule for all.

I've always thought that players have far too much control while under contract, and a player who isn't a free agent refusing to sign a new deal, only to go to the PSD to get picked up by a club of their choice is total BS. The AFL needs to do something about it. That, and players demanding a trade to a particular club (e.g. Beams, Griffen) while under contract.
Seems like you weren't worried when GC was recruiting players but now the shoe is on the other foot it has to be stopped.

GC and GWS already have protection from free agents being poached for another few years. This is the one mechanism that you are exposed to so I wouldn't worry to much since there is a lot of water to go under the bridge first. You could still get the spoon.

While a sad reflection of the governing body, this post is entirely accurate. The current AFL administration have a great deal more vested interest and ego in GC than Brisbane and will move to make some arbitrary provision around the Dixon PSD move, if it eventuates.
I disagree, no way the AFL steps in publicly when the rules are set. If Brisbane gets a priority pick and then a favourable trade takes place with GC I would have my suspicions.

Name a single decent player who the Suns have recruited via the PSD.
I didn't say you recruited players via the PSD, just that you were happy to poach the GOAT and others without losing any sleep. It was all within the rules, as is the PSD so I can't see why the AFL needs to step in to stop it. I think it is a good mechanism for the lower placed teams to get some more currency for being crap.

To make it really interesting, teams should be able to trade the PSD picks as well. This would add to the drama of trade week and help build more rivalries.

I didn't say you recruited players via the PSD, just that you were happy to poach the GOAT and others without losing any sleep. It was all within the rules, as is the PSD so I can't see why the AFL needs to step in to stop it. I think it is a good mechanism for the lower placed teams to get some more currency for being crap.

To make it really interesting, teams should be able to trade the PSD picks as well. This would add to the drama of trade week and help build more rivalries.
Difference in that case was clubs were compensated. PSD works for clubs getting players from better teams, not sure it's there so 18th can take a player from 17th

You can bet that if Carlisle/Dixon walks to the PSD, the PSD won't be there for the following season.
Agree. The PSD wasn't designed for players to walk out on clubs.

Probably need a new level of FA to catch these.
Out of contract players, can sign elsewhere, but given age the compensation is higher.
I'd be happy to get a first rounder after our first pick if Carlisle was to want to sign a contract with Carlton and Carlton were reluctant to give up their first pick.

Because you get him for free rather than throwing away a possible 10 year player.

Less risk due to the high risk around Carlisle

Jesus its not that hard...

That's Carltons' problem.if you want him you need to cough up via a trade because there is no chance he's going to the psd and if the risk is too much then don't go after him.

Out of contract players, can sign elsewhere, but given age the compensation is higher.
I'd be happy to get a first rounder after our first pick if Carlisle was to want to sign a contract with Carlton and Carlton were reluctant to give up their first pick.
Bet you had no problem with Carlton getting no compensation for losing Waite last year to Norfs. We also got nothing for Robbo (Bris), Laidler (Swans), and arguably Betts (Adelaide), etc.

Either AFL follows their own rules or changes them next season. Still not clear that Carlisle will go, but sometimes you are top dog and other times the bitch.

AFL likely to ditch FA picks next year anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least you aced Langford and Laverde. They both look good, and make the Ryder trade a bit better.

Did even better with Merret also considering he was our first selection of that year.

If we didn't nail our picks we would of been royaly screwed, if we aren't screwed enough already.

Do agree that if we lose Carlisle for nothing / same with Dixon with GC, then something will change.

Fair enough ,
Crameri , Ryder , Carlisle ... just a run of bad luck for efc I guess
Crameri was gone beforehand. Wanted to play with McCartney. We just would have had a better deal (i.e. Bont, though could have missed Zach Merrett - or got both)
Ryder - Were told it was the fresh start thing, so ill pay that one
Carlisle - who knows. Hasn't left yet. If he does, hopefully we'll know the reasons. I think a lot of it is $$ and playing defence. Both of which we should be giving him.

Bet you had no problem with Carlton getting no compensation for losing Waite last year to Norfs. We also got nothing for Robbo (Bris), Laidler (Swans), and arguably Betts (Adelaide), etc.

Either AFL follows their own rules or changes them next season. Still not clear that Carlisle will go, but sometimes you are top dog and other times the bitch.
Robbo was delisted. As was Laidler
Betts was a Free Agent. As was Waite. I don't mind at that age who walks. If Stants chooses to take a contract elsewhere this year, he has done his time with the club. Carlisle is 23. Different story.

Did even better with Merret also considering he was our first selection of that year.

If we didn't nail our picks we would of been royaly screwed, if we aren't screwed enough already.

Do agree that if we lose Carlisle for nothing / same with Dixon with GC, then something will change.

Bombers supporters are strange
If you know Jake will leave why not persue few mature age players. I would!

Picks will take time while and talls is an area which Bombers desperately lack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back