Autopsy 32 pt loss to Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a distressing pattern. We get completly outplayed early in the game, then steady a bit and hold our own later in the game when the intense pressure has dropped off a bit, but can never take our chances to close the gap.

We used to blitz sides in the first quarter and then ease off and cruise to the final siren.

I'm actually going to go against the trend and say I thought our usual scapegoats weren't the problem tonight. Ibbo better (11 disposals inc 9 kicks @ 91% DE, 7 marks), Sutcliffe (22 disposals inc 14 kicks @ 73% DE, 7 marks, 6 rebound 50s, 9 1%ers - although 4 clangers wasn't great), Mayne (10 disposals @ 80% DE, 7 tackles, 2 goals @ 100% goal accuracy), Suban only got 9 possessions (8 kicks) but only made one mistake all game.

Weller definitely needs a rest. Tucker probably also. Blakely also had very little impact from what I saw. Langdon was serviceable. And Collins was pretty good given the circumstances (14 1%ers!) The youngsters weren't the problem either though as you have to expect some inconsistency from them.

Ballas had a shocker (17 disposals @ 42% DE, 3 clangers, 25% goal accuracy) - saw that someone gave him votes - wtf??? Mundy still doesn't look himself. Walters did some good things and led our inside 50s with 7 but also had 6 clangers.

There was clearly a correlation between us winning clearances and competing on the scoreboard. We got spanked in the centre in the first and it had us on the back foot for the rest of the game. I think we only won one centre clearance in the first quarter and it was Mayne of all people. We wrestled back winning stoppages but still not as dominant as we need to be.

But I still think the main problem is that we are playing too much as a bunch of individuals and not as a team. And each individual often hesitates every time they have the ball. When we didn't over think it the ball moved quite well at times. Like in the 3rd when Spurr intercepted in the goal square, quick kick to Langdon (I think), long penetrating kick to Hill, handball to Pav, and a kick inside 50 that Mayne marked and then kicked the goal from the set shot. One of our best transitions all season - it was fast, our players worked as a team, and nobody over thought the situation wth the ball in hand. I think RTB's presser last week hinted at it but we need to play more intuitively and have our players playing their natural game. They weren't for most of tonight and we turned the ball over way too much.

Ballas had a shocker (17 disposals @ 42% DE, 3 clangers, 25% goal accuracy) - saw that someone gave him votes - wtf??? Mundy still doesn't look himself. Walters did some good things and led our inside 50s with 7 but also had 6 clangers.

There was clearly a correlation between us winning clearances and competing on the scoreboard. We got spanked in the centre in the first and it had us on the back foot for the rest of the game. I think we only won one centre clearance in the first quarter and it was Mayne of all people. We wrestled back winning stoppages but still not as dominant as we need to be.

But I still think the main problem is that we are playing too much as a bunch of individuals and not as a team. And each individual often hesitates every time they have the ball. When we didn't over think it the ball moved quite well at times. Like in the 3rd when Spurr intercepted in the goal square, quick kick to Langdon (I think), long penetrating kick to Hill, handball to Pav, and a kick inside 50 that Mayne marked and then kicked the goal from the set shot. One of our best transitions all season - it was fast, our players worked as a team, and nobody over thought the situation wth the ball in hand. I think RTB's presser last week hinted at it but we need to play more intuitively and have our players playing their natural game. They weren't for most of tonight and we turned the ball over way too much.

So true. Sadly so true

Not to mention the team. And while we're at it let's keep our most dangerous forward in Walters close to goal.

He was one of our best midfielders though...

With the midfield giving no supply, Walters wouldn't have seen much of the pill as a forward.

But we need Walters in the forward line too. Hence the whole Bennell/Yarran recruitment. Sure Yarran is unknown at AFL level, but we probably need 2 out of 3 of them on the park at any stage so we have thise fast reactions, footy smarts and goal sense in midfield and forward line.

Uninspiring contest. Hard to find many positives.

Switched over to the dogs v tigers game, which was much more enjoyable.

Haven't watched the game other than the highlights, but we again didn't win enough ball...
136 possessions less than Melbourne.
The equivalent of 4 elite midfielders
Melbourne had 11 players above 20 possessions, one of who was Jesse Hogan...Their FF got 20 possies :eek:

Suban, Tucker and Weller got 27 disposals between them.
Sonny, Danyle and Hill had 14 clangers between them.

Not enough ball, and too many turnovers from the guys who are supposed to be the cream in the team.

Nic Suban must have the record for the most games played for most sub 10 possession games in the AFL

I reckon if you put Tabs in the Hawks side he becomes a 40 goal+ season player.
I reckon if you put Pavlich in the Hawks side he becomes a 80 goal+ season player.

Our forward structure and delivery inside 50 is deplorable.

It has been that way for years.

I'll start with my only positive: we didn't, from the kick out, immediately kick to the back pocket as much. Walters improved after a slow start, and his field kicking was pretty good after the first quarter. Hill was better in the middle. Langdon was tidy after half time.
Midfield and defence were obliterated early and there was stuff all run and spread. How many games does the team need to complete before it realises that sucking everyone into stoppages/contested ball is really bad when the other side is able to hit one of a couple of players loose on the outside? This has been a problem since half way through last year - why, for the love of God, has it not been sorted?
I get less and less confidence from Ross' press conferences because he seems bemused by the same mistakes being made consistently. Injuries and the blooding of new players has to be disruptive - I am holding onto that thought. Because after this game I am running out of excuses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hill to the middle was a good move.

Backline is totally rubbish with Sheridan, Sutty and even Dawson spudding it up or barely contributing. I suppose because of that we need Hill back there but he got us going again after being moved to the midfield.

Ressies runner continued his imbecile narrative about the club's champion who kicked 3 amongst a generally shambolic team effort.
No man, us idiots cant handle anyone not agreeing with us. Boo hoo, ohh he said something we dont like waaa waaa he must support the other team.
If he didn't speak his mind we would all be naked group hugging right now. (Phew!! thankfully he has spoken his mind, it's a bit cold for a naked group hug no matter how many of us idiots there are!)

And he's not the only one who thinks that way the truth is we are the campaigners same rubbish all the time we need to stop being a sheep get our own opinions. jedi mind tricks agreed so at least he has some sense!

Weller will probably get a holiday next week anyway for his bump.

I thought watching that game, if anyone believes we don't need a bit of a rebuild, you're on drugs. The speed, kicking skills, and general football nous of Melbourne compared to us; and that's a team which won't make the 8.

But I still think the main problem is that we are playing too much as a bunch of individuals and not as a team. And each individual often hesitates every time they have the ball. When we didn't over think it the ball moved quite well at times.

Yeah, a lot of hand-offs to players under greater or equal pressure today. Perhaps the players and coaches are still not quite in total accord as to instructions, perhaps a result of having a few players not being entirely confident in their kicking (quite rightly in some cases).

Not to mention the team. And while we're at it let's keep our most dangerous forward in Walters close to goal.
Right about Hill wrong about Walters. Walters is basically our only midfielder that can create coherently after the contest is won. hill is the only other when hes in there. Walters is going to be a pieceof the puzzle in the middle when fyfe and sandi are back. basically he is practicing for next year when him and bennell are interchanging between mid and fwd together. finger crossed on bennell.

No man, us idiots cant handle anyone not agreeing with us. Boo hoo, ohh he said something we dont like waaa waaa he must support the other team.
If he didn't speak his mind we would all be naked group hugging right now. (Phew!! thankfully he has spoken his mind, it's a bit cold for a naked group hug no matter how many of us idiots there are!)

And he's not the only one who thinks that way the truth is we are the campaigners same rubbish all the time we need to stop being a sheep get our own opinions. jedi mind tricks agreed so at least he has some sense!

I never called everyone campainers lol

I was implying that when posters mostly new come here and make some criticism towards specific players they get shot down by certain posters and called out for being eagles supporters.

**** the aesthetics and what other teams supporters say about the way we played, it made us into perennial contenders and by going away from those things we are so far from any semblance of gameplan or direction it completely beggars belief. :'(

it would have been madness if we had continued with that style of footy, it didn't work for us in finals.

we have only won 1 out of 4 finals games in the last 2 years, falling over the line in home and away games is meaningless if we collapse in September.

6 goals each after quarter time. Our good players like Neale were better but after the game was effectively over. No one really stood up when we needed it in the first quarter.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

We are in deep sh@t. RTB dropped both Clarke and Hannah after there average displays V pies. Griff got pantsed by Gawn so where does this leave us. Sat thru the cold and rain at MCG v Pies to witness a non effort. Thought after the bye and a rev up they would put in a better effort but alas they picked up where they left off 2.wks ago.

Pearce, Suban, Ibbo, Dawson ,Weller, balla tucker were poor. Agree with previous comments Stevie H needs to be played in the midfield. The next 7 games are going to be brutal because I think a large number of players are out to protect their individual arses -.self preservation. RBT is pedalling the chance of a return to finals action in 2017 with Fyfe Sandi johnno Alex & Bennell back in the 22. Very questionable at the moment.

Pointless being upset. We'd compete better if we had better cattle on the park, but we instead have limited choices due to injuries.

We instead put games into youth that we wouldn't have done if we were tilting for the flag. mistakes get made, they spend more time on the bench making it harder for everyone else.

A good team makes the average players look better, a bad team drags down the better players. With a lot of our elite out of the team, we - like any other team in the same circumstances look second best on the ground.

What I can't stand is when we rebound and have forwards who are running away from the player with the ball instead of leading toward them. Of course this is due to Lyons tactics of flooding defence. It's low percentage to hit a target running away from you and difficult to mark over your shoulder. The result is usually spilling to the deck and the threat is then quelled by the opposition defence.

We are playing exactly the same way as we did at the start of the season. There has been no improvement in our game-plan whatsoever. It stinks.

Thought Nick Suban did well when he had the ball. Yes he only had 9 possessions but hopefully in a few years he will mature into a regular 20+ a game player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back