Prediction Changes: Round 2 Vs North Melbourne + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what to expect, Of course I want a win and a good peformance as I really don't rate our next 2 opponents very highly at all. But it is Freo so hardly confident any more. The Weather today makes me thankful the game is not on today. Cmon freo faithful tell me something good in your life so I don't have to think about our very poor effort in RD 1 .

I doubt I would be alone here in declaring from my long and underwhelming career of playing all over the ground at many tiers below elite level that excelling as a forward is the hardest. Midfield is 50:50. Playing in the backline is a complete doddle and if I'd known that 40+ years ago I would have insisted on starting in the backline and would have never left :)
Yep, back flank is the easiest position for me.

Easier to position yourself as the play unfolds in front of you. Use your body against your opponent if needed.

Used to love watching Roger Hayden weave his way out of the backline...poetry in motion !

Forward line is a mugs game.

Anyone nervous about tomorrow nights game? I tipped us but I feel like there’s a toxicity in our club again. Something feels off.
Lol, man, I'm annoyed at the stubborness but toxicity? C'mon, the players love JL and love playing with eachother and everyone is committed to doing everything possible to win a flag. The people just currently have different ideas to the club - it's been one game

Look we all know what will happen tomorrow. We will kick 15 goals and have an OK win.

Tabs will bully Logue for 4 goals.

Fyfe will get the same number of touches as last week, but this time go for 2.3 (with 1 out on full). After his second goal Der-wayne will declare "the champ is back!"

Norf's midfield and half-forwards won't run as long and as hard as St Kilda's; as the game opens up in the 2nd half Schultzy, Frederick, and Switta will find space to run onto the ball and combine for 6 goals between them.

Our midfield will get into the act and Jackson and JOM will kick their first goals for the club. After JOM gets his goal in the 4th, Der-wayne will scream "North need a safe word!" (does any else find his 'safe word' cliche just a bit creepy?)

And all the cracks exposed last week will be papered over. Only to reveal themselves when in May when we play teams like Sydney, Geelong and the Dees.

IMO, I think we missed Mundy more than first thought. Maybe JOM needs to watch tapes of Mundy to fill his old role? Also, could be an illusion, but we seem too small in the centre.

IMO, I think we missed Mundy more than first thought. Maybe JOM needs to watch tapes of Mundy to fill his old role? Also, could be an illusion, but we seem too small in the centre.
Give the bloke a go..He's had one bad game!

He will be ok..Lots of players take a while to settle into a new team

On SM-G975U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone nervous about tomorrow nights game? I tipped us but I feel like there’s a toxicity in our club again. Something feels off.
The toxicity is the “perception” from the media. Especially over here where they live to protect the Budgies

I don’t think toxicity is right, but there’s certainly some mis-direction and you’re right to be nervous. If we play the same brand of footy as last week we’ll lose.

The assumption on here is that we’ll play a much better brand and reflect the comfortable favourites we are on paper.

tell me loki GIF

Whyyyy?

Yesterday I was disappointed, now I’m *en frustrated and desperate for answers. 😩😩

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super nervous. Would not be at all surprised if Clarko pulls a Ross Lyon and out coaches us to give his team a win.
scary game ahead.

Fair summary on how they likely got to that but leaders can make safe decisions that are wrong in the long term.

There is no one on this board that doesn't believe that we haven't seen everything that BB brings to the game. He's a good bloke by all accounts and gives his best and that's great and I won't bag him for it. It's all you can ask of someone.

However, BB is unlikely to influence the outcome of whether we beat North or not. So does it matter that he gets put in? Well yes. Spots are getting tight and we have first round talent sitting in the sheds and we just lost 4 players to other clubs.

I get that Amiss might make us too tall so gets left out this week after a failed go tall experiment. But at least JLo gave it a go in R1.

But then we have Sturt and Ras. Both ready to go apparently. One a top 10 mid, the other a talented goal scoring mid forward who JLo has indicated has now ticked all the boxes and was emergency last week. Geelong used to put a young Bartel and Ablett Jr in the forward line until they were ready for the middle. Sydney always did it too with their young mids. So there is no excuse not to do it with Ras. He's a crazy wrecking ball with speed and knows where the goals are.

I think this was a complete fail by JLo and selection panel. BB will likely have little effect on the outcome and we should (hopefully) still get the win regardless. But after the feelings were subsiding after a horror unexpected loss, his club's supporters considering memberships and merchandise are all now up in arms about a conservative nothing selection as well as the horror loss when they could be a lot more excited to see at least a Sturt finally come back in, or letting loose the Raz demon. Very bad move all round (IMO).
Perfect summary.

The melts were bad after we lost to the Saints in Round 2 last year but last weeks game has produced the biggest overreactions I've seen in years

Yep.

Everyone was pumped about the pre-season. Surely if you were set for a big year prior to round 1 you should hold fast?

I blew a gasget after the game V St Kilda last year and we ended up playing and WINNING a final.

Let's see more data before we all call the coach idiotic.

The melts are honestly crazy disproportionate to what the actual decision is. We are talking about whether Sam Sturt or Bailey Banfield plays against North Melbourne in round 2 ffs.

Some people need to take a step back and look at whether this is an issue actually worth getting legitimately worked up over

The melts are honestly crazy disproportionate to what the actual decision is. We are talking about whether Sam Sturt or Bailey Banfield plays against North Melbourne in round 2 ffs.

Some people need to take a step back and look at whether this is an issue actually worth getting legitimately worked up over
Disagreeing with a decision isn't melting. At least I don't think it is

I think Banners isn't paid the respect he should around here but saying that, I believe the decision to not choose Sturt is shortsighted. We legit have a bottom 5 forwardline and the coach's refusal to develop the talent we have will not alleviate our issues, only exacerbate them come finals time.

Give the bloke a go..He's had one bad game!

He will be ok..Lots of players take a while to settle into a new team

On SM-G975U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wohh... I wasn't criticizing JOM, just his role. I think he'll be fantastic for us, but we need someone to fill the role Mundy played.
And yeh, I agree, most recruits don't hit their straps until their second year at the club. Brodie being an exception, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back