List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Inner Sanctum Thread. Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be expecting huge things from Skunk next year personally. It's a big ask to immediately back up a big break-out year, as we found with Bruce and Armo this year. If he's able to maintain the same sort of level of output as this year I'll be thrilled.

Mind you 40g 3rd fwd is nothing to sneeze at, hopefully get 40 out of Paddy and similar from Bruce and that's a decent fwd line. The bigger question is can paddy stay on the park?

I'm actually keen to see them win this year and absolutely dominate for a short while; so that the backlash will be strong enough to make the AFL rescind some of their advantages and bring them back to a more level playing field. Can't see us beating them for sheer talent for at least a decade - which is why coaching and development are such an issue for us (and also why we are ahead of expectations at this point in time).

The first thing the AFL has to do is to ban GWS from trading into the first round of the draft for a period of time. It's making a mockery of the draft and denigrating the academy system as a mechanism for queue jumping.

Their ability to dominate the first round of the draft is obscene. They have 3 first round picks at the moment. After the trading period they could have 5-6 this year and potentially 3 in the bank for next year.

How does a club in the cellar or rebuilding like us compete with that? Forget our partisan support for our club. It's just wrong.

The first thing the AFL has to do is to ban GWS from trading into the first round of the draft for a period of time. It's making a mockery of the draft and denigrating the academy system as a mechanism for queue jumping.

Their ability to dominate the first round of the draft is obscene. They have 3 first round picks at the moment. After the trading period they could have 5-6 this year and potentially 3 in the bank for next year.

How does a club in the cellar or rebuilding like us compete with that? Forget our partisan support for our club. It's just wrong.
The AFL are going to have to be really careful, because if they start winning flags yet at the same time have multiple first round DP's every year it will quickly become a farce of a comp.

I fear Mitchell will cost too much after his recent performance; that one game could add 20-30% on his wages and cost at the trade table. He is an ultimate talent, no doubt, but he was always an ultimate talent during this period, and now we have to pay the full price.

Might work in our favour. Every time his value goes up, it makes it harder for the Hawks to fit him and O'Meara in their list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is all this Mitchell talk coming from?
Nothing new. It's 95% over excitement

I vaguely remember reading a post on the Hawthorn board insinuating Tom's father Barry was lining up a job at Hawthorn, hence the connection to Tom. Not sure how accurate that is, but if that's the case it'll be mighty hard to even get him to look our way.

Does it sound like a reasonable trade?

I haven't heard any talk about Tonlinson, so don't think it will happen but I think he would suit our need perfectly.
I think it favours us a bit

The AFL are going to have to be really careful, because if they start winning flags yet at the same time have multiple first round DP's every year it will quickly become a farce of a comp.

Sadly it's become a farce now. GWS are inadvertently becoming a victim of their early success. They are being derided as having been handed success on a platter and anything they achieve will be seen within the prism of the AFL handouts and not their own efforts.

On the other hand, clubs are 'queue jumped' at the draft or feel the need to trade away early picks so they can compete and remain relevant in a very competitive industry. Everyone needs hope. The way the dice has been loaded I sense the supporters of many clubs are losing hope. When that reality sinks in to more people then the AFL has a real problem, because that problem will manifest itself in its heartland.

People can go on about the money flowing into the game from media rights and the like, but at the end of the day it is interest of people in attending and watching the games that allows AFL to thrive. I'm sensing that interest is starting to wane amongst some people as reality sinks in. Their club can't compete and succeed in the current structure of drafting and recruiting.

I have hope because our club has been rebuilding now for 3-4 years. We have drafted well. We have good people. It has been a long haul and we still have some way to go. But if we were at the beginning of the cycle I would have no hope, and I think that is the feeling of people whose clubs are on the wane. The problem for the AFL is that some of those clubs are big and powerful.

Something has to happen to address this. A Bulldogs victory may delay the AFL from acting for 12 months. But they can't ignore the problem for too much longer. Not if they're competent anyway.

Where is all this Mitchell talk coming from?

It's hypotheticals. He is who we need though, he's looking to move, why wouldn't the club look at him

It a hell of a lot better than drug taking and nag racing

It's hypotheticals. He is who we need though, he's looking to move, why wouldn't the club look at him

It a hell of a lot better than drug taking and nag racing
Not having a crack, just wondering whether their was any substance to it. Would love the bloke at our club to be honest, would be a much better pick up than Rockliff for where we are at. I find it strange that we weren't linked to either him or Prestia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back