Banter 2017 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Great effort. I think it's becoming more and more likely Harry Taylor plays forward next year.

I don't think it's a bad idea playing Taylor forward more. Henderson has been a bit of a switch man in the past between forward and back, at Brisbane and Carlton too so he can perform the role but I think it suits Harry more.

His a meticulous planner of his own game and has played on and beaten some of the premier half forwards of the competition so he understands the role well for a guy who has spent most of his AFL career as a defender.

I don't think it's a bad idea playing Taylor forward more. Henderson has been a bit of a switch man in the past between forward and back, at Brisbane and Carlton too so he can perform the role but I think it suits Harry more.

His a meticulous planner of his own game and has played on and beaten some of the premier half forwards of the competition so he understands the role well for a guy who has spent most of his AFL career as a defender.
Many of us like that.
Hendo could cover him there.
My big push is to develop Blicavs into an elite KB. Lonergan will not last much beyond this year.
A couple of our new recruits may have some say in defence.
Value your unbiased opinion- how do you see Blicavs and Kolo as players in our team from an opposition perspective?
And what would you do with Mackie?

Pardon the intrusion

Fwiw, I'd set up like this

Bews/Ruggles Lonergan/Henderson Kolo

Guthrie Blicavs Tuohy

Duncan Selwood Motlop

Gregson Taylor McCarthy

Menzel Hawkins resting mid

Smith Dangerfield Selwood

Thurlow Meneg Lang Stanley

Think your side can carry only 2 of Lonergan Kolo and Henderson

Hawkins needs a second tall for support, Stanley too unreliable, so Taylor your best option and a very good one at that

Blicavs needs a position imo, think he could become a top line CHB

Guthries run is needed off half back

Mackie ought to be pushed out

Apologies if overlooking anyone

Pardon the intrusion

Guthrie Blicavs Tuohy

Duncan Selwood Motlop

Gregson Taylor McCarthy

Hawkins needs a second tall for support, Stanley too unreliable, so Taylor your best option and a very good one at that

Very welcome, I assure you. Footy followers from other clubs who take a real interest in how opposition teams set up are always interesting to hear from. Probably more likely to see matters objectively as well.

And I don't dislike where you're coming from with this team at all.

I think Cocky will probably play many games next year, injury aside. Perhaps in your team he's the other forward pocket you have listed as 'resting mid'?

I suspect Black will be given every chance to play as a KPF so that Taylor and Hendo are left as predominantly defenders once again. Although if Lonergan is to play regularly, I don't really see how the three of them will all play too much together in the back six (particularly if Kolo is given significant games, as he should be).

Would like to see Blitz given the chance down back as you propose but the MC doesn't seem to be heading in that direction. Despite Corza's retirement, there aren't really many roles obviously opening up in D50 (with Tuohy and Thurlow to both come in, I figure) so I expect Blitz to be used through the midfield again in '17. Which will no doubt mean plenty more vitriol being dumped on him by his detractors on here.

I'd probably like to see Bews given a shot ahead of Ruggles (whom I do like a lot), only because if he truly builds confidence he could also provide a speedy outlet from defence. And the way we set up, we could do with as many of those as possible.

The Smith/Stanley ruck combo served us quite well until it fell away when we desperately needed more from them both so I wonder whether they might not push each of them to have a shot at being the only designated ruck, with Blitz to relieve as required. Could really help team balance if either of them can build the stamina to get through most of the game 'Goldy-style'.

Mackie's permanence in the team is certainly under question for me but I could see a role off the bench that might see him used in patches off the flanks or on the wing.

So my 22 right now would probably be:

Bews Lonergan Kolo
Thurlow Henderson Tuohy
Duncan Guthrie Motlop
Cocakatoo Taylor Menzel
McCarthy Hawkins Lang
Int: Menegola Scooter Blitz Cowan/Mackie

After the serious clean-out at the end of '16, we clearly have less ready-made senior players on the list but I wonder whether the 'depth' provided by some of the players we've cut/traded was really meaningful for us in any case.

I think a best 22 close to this one doesn't suffer too much in comparison to this year's model and there are certainly many players on this team list who hardly had stellar years throughout 2016.

Still plenty of reasons for optimism in my view.

Last edited:
Many of us like that.
Hendo could cover him there.
My big push is to develop Blicavs into an elite KB. Lonergan will not last much beyond this year.
A couple of our new recruits may have some say in defence.
Value your unbiased opinion- how do you see Blicavs and Kolo as players in our team from an opposition perspective?
And what would you do with Mackie?

I see Blicavs best role as a midfielder. Yes his height leans to think of him more as a KPP, but the way he moves around the ground and goes as that third man up at the ruck contest he is like another tall midfielder with a huge tank which is in vogue in today's game. Sticks to his task well which means he could become a KPD post Lonergan but for me I wouldn't be filled with confidence having Blix as a key defender.

As a tall forward to assist Hawkins and that can use his endurance to work his opponent over yes, but in a body contest against a big forward that would exceed his limitations. Just my opinion but

From an opposition perspective with his tank Blicavs is a dangerous player because of his ability to move around the ground and be that thid man up at ruck contests. His still learning aspects of his game but his raw athleticism and makes size makes him a hard match up.

Kolodjashnij is the next KPD in line and has already got some good exposure at AFL level due to injuries/ management of the current key defenders or structurally there will be some games where he is of better use than Lonergan is. The good thing is post Lonergan there is absolutely no concerns with him filling the role straight away. Just needs the patience to wait for Lonergan's retirement.

For me Mackie is still important to the team with his experience around the younger defenders in the team and squad in general invaluable but with the acquistion of Tuohy and anticipated return of Thurlow he makes way. His selection in the AFL side depends a lot on the fitness and form of Thurlow. It's one or the other of them, can't have both unless Tuohy is unavailable.

Revised best 22 I'd take Black out, move Taylor to CHF, move Henderson to CHB, and insert Kolodjashnij into the vacant BP.

I reckon Menzel can play the third tall role

B: Bews Lonergan Kolodjashnij
HB: Thuoy Henderson Thurlow
C: S.Selwood J.Selwood Duncan
HF: Menegola Taylor Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins Motlop
R: Smith Dangerfield Guthrie
I: Blicavs McCarthy Lang Cunico

I reckon Menzel can play the third tall role

B: Bews Lonergan Kolodjashnij
HB: Thuoy Henderson Thurlow
C: S.Selwood J.Selwood Duncan
HF: Menegola Taylor Cockatoo
R: Smith Dangerfield Guthrie
I: Blicavs McCarthy Lang Cunico
Would like to see this setup given a run. Sans Stanley is a bold move however I actually think Taylor strengthens the contest forward. The back setup in theory is a vast improvment on the 16' side. I'd like to see the MC committee at least try to go with something like this

B: Mackie Lonergan Guthrie
HB:Taylor Henderson Touhy
C: Duncan Dangerfield Cockatoo
HF:Lang Stanley Menegola
Foll: Smith J. Selwood S. Selwood
I: Thurlow Gregson Blicavs Cowan

Hey guys and girls, sorry to intrude but looking to visit all the club best 22's over the next few weeks before Xmas. Here's my crack at Geelong. Appreciate any feedback

FB: Jackson Thurlow ~ Tom Lonergan ~ Lachie Henderson
HB: Zach Tuohy ~ Harry Taylor ~ Cameron Guthrie

CENTRE: Mitch Duncan ~ Joel Selwood ~ Mark Blicavs
FOLL: Zac Smith ~ Scott Selwood ~ Patrick Dangerfield

HF: Steven Motlop ~ Aaron Black ~ Nakia Cockatoo
FF: Rhys Stanley ~ Tom Hawkins ~ Daniel Menzel

INT: Lincoln McCarthy ~ Darcy Lang ~ Sam Menegola ~ Jed Bews/ Tom Ruggles

Starting with the back 6 and no doubt they'll miss Enright but the additions of Tuohy and Thurlow (new recruit virtually) add some of the class by foot and defensive nous that Enright had. Having Mackie as depth is handy because Thurlow won;t be back to his 2015 form straight away.

Guthrie can change between defence and midfield. Could play an important part of the second string midfield with Stanley, Menegola, possibly Cockatoo, Lang etc.

Taylor and Henderson are locks in the team but Lonergan is less of a sure thing as he used to be. Kolodjashnij can count himself unlucky to miss out on a spot in the 22 but if Lonergan is managed you have a sound defender replacing him in JK.

Bews probably slightly ahead of Ruggles in contention for the 7th defender. Just needs to find that real balance between defence and attack, if anything put focus a more on the defensive element to his game than attacking.

Midfield is a mix of outside and inside players with a good ruck in Smith. The running man Blicavs although 6'6 in the old scale can play as a extra midfielder because of his mobility and can be an effective 3rd man up at ruck contests around the ground, if it is still an option in 2017. Duncan is a quality outhside player who benefits strongly from the inside work of Dangerfield and the Selwood bothers. Lang interchanges into the second string midfielder with some outisde pace and carry.

The bigger bodies of Geelong are a mix of speed away from the stoppage, hard at it contested work in Joel Selwood and the defensive nous of Scott Selwood and Guthrie to run with opposition midfielders. They compliment Duncan and Blicavs well and form a solid stating centre square combination.

Motlop, Menzel and Cockatoo are the clever smaller forwards that get at the feet of the big men and create room for the bigger forwards with support on the bench from McCarthy and possibly Lang off HF. Players stating there case at VFL level would be Murdoch and Gregson, making them work hard for the in the AFL team.

Hawkins and Stanley are key parts of the forward line structure and obviously need to kick goals themselves or impact a contest to get the ball to ground. Black's the addition and in a way is a Kersten replacement. Since Podsiadly left to much of the tall forward workload has been left to Hawkins who is fantastic at what he does but needs help.

Thats where I've added Black into the 22. That CHF role could become Timm House if he has a good pre season and is ready to adapt straight into AFL but initially Black has the runs on the board from his time at North. They traded him in for a reason and it wouldn't be beneficial if fit to have him playing mostly VFL when the AFL side is searching for added height.

The CHF role could even go to incumbent players like Taylor, Blicavs or Henderson with a switch of player roles maybe even meaning Kolodjashnij or Mackie find themselves in contetion for a role the back 6. Ratugolea and Buzza are still raw and developing. As mentioned with a good pre season House has the attributes to be a mature age inclusion. Abbott I don;t know enough about to evaluate with him.

The recent draft was a bit of a mixed bag for the Cats. Stewart and House like Ruggles from 2015 are very mature bodies and can perform key position roles perform immediately if required which will be handy to have as the baton is passed from Lonergan down back especially.

Parfitt and Narkle are both big accumulators of the ball in the midfield but tend to handball more than they kick. Both strong bodies already and Narkle is a very strong inside and contested player. Think with Geelong's contested midfield strength they will get a good period of development in the VFL and time to work on there areas for improvement.

Ratugolea I've briefly touched on. A bit like Buzza from the 2015 draft in a way is a raw, tall player. Pelnty of upside there in him but like all young talls can go missing at times. Needs to work on his game sense in the VFL.

Henry is another player with large upside in him once he builds his body strength because his got the footy smarts and competes hard. In the long term Guthrie could play a similar role to older brother Cam although may find his place more a lock down smaller defender. Has good defensive traits to his game already and shown he can play on smaller or taller opponents but really needs to work on his body size and strength firstly.

High quality analysis considering Geelong is not the side you support.
Id only say id expect Stewart to push for a game , perhaps even in front of Bews and Ruggles. I have no confidence that Black is an answer for us but I guy we will find out.
Id also say your knowledge of this years draftees is very good but maybe last years names is more likely to participate in our best22. Gardner is someone who looked very promising in the VFL and I would think he will press for Lonergans spot , if not his role. Parsons is another who showed some form to indicate he is better than a Rookie pick.

Bews, Lonergan, Taylor
Thurlow, Henderson, Touhy
Duncan, Menegola, Guthrie
Menzel, Stanley, Motlop
McCarthy, Hawkins, Gregson
Smith, Dangerfield, Selwood
S. Selwood, Cockatoo, Lang, Blicavs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he plays in the same backline as Lonergan, Taylor and Henderson ofcourse he's going to have to play on smaller guys.

BTW
Kolodjashnij - 193cm
Rance - 194cm

For me he's a long-term KPD.
You're right. Did see him play well as an 'undersized' FB in the VFL.

Interesting option VD.

Who do you think would miss out from Lonergan, Taylor, Henderson, and Kolodjashnij?

To me it's not worth worrying about, they'll all play.
Agree.
Ultimately, Lonergan, but there will be a need to develop a new KB, not a Kolo type, but a tall, fairly mobile bigger unit.

The irony is Lonergan out of all of them probably had the best finals series too.
True, and I love him as a player, but unless he has the longevity of Dustin Fletcher, we will need to prepare for life after him.

You're right. Did see him play well as an 'undersized' FB in the VFL.
He could still play as the 3rd tall but only if we have a FB and CHB ready to go after Lonergan and Taylor.

Henderson's the obvious one and should hold down one of the positions and hopefully Gardiner at 197cm can develop into another Lonergan type.

Blicavs, as people have pointed out, could also potentially be developed into a KPD that would give him a genuine position in the team, but I don't think the club will go down that path.

How are we going to be better in 2017 than 2016 without Enright and Bartel?

With all due respect to Bartel, I think we've got the players to cover his output this season.

With regards to Enright, he's a unique player who was still playing well and IMO the way we get better without him is to introduce more pace and a quicker ball-movement structure to the backline(nothing that hasn't already been mentioned).

Also having a genuine lock-down small defender is crucial IMO and for me it's Jed Bews.

I think the team will be more settled this year. As much as Danger was a huge addition, Dangerwood shook up the team dynamic a bit and moved many midfield players into unfamiliar roles.

I think many supporters have written off or lessened their rating of these players as a result, but I expect that many like Duncan and Blicavs will bounce back this year.

Last edited:
Pardon the intrusion

Guthrie Blicavs Tuohy

Duncan Selwood Motlop

Gregson Taylor McCarthy

You missed Cockatoo. With an injury free year this year he is set to become a big feature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back