Banter 2017 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite possible if they both carry JTL #1 form through #2 and #3. And IMO that would be a positive for the team because I think Lang's ceiling and potential benefit to the team is much higher than Cowan's.

I do too. That's why Lang should be the preferred option.

Wouldn't say the positions of Mackie, Blicavs, Bews, and Stanley should be considered stable either.

Wouldn't say the positions of Mackie, Blicavs, Bews, and Stanley should be considered stable either.
Bews would be on a different rung of uncertainty to the other three. Quite a gap between them.

I now think Taylor for FF and Hawkins at CHF. Also thinking Black should be in the team.

B: Bews, Lonergan, Ruggles
HB: Thurlow, Henderson, Tuohy
C: Duncan, J. Selwood, Menegola
HF: Cockatoo, Hawkins, Black
F: McCarthy, Taylor, Menzel
R: Smith, Guthrie, Dangerfield
INT: Stanley, S. Selwood, Mackie, Motlop

EMG: Kolodjashnij, Gregson, Blicavs

Swap Ruggles for Kolo depending on the size of the opposition forward line.

And I think Mackie is still valuable to us.

Lang needs to be playing seniors this year, right from round 1. Give him some time on the ball and everyone will see what he's capable of. No more playing him in a forward pocket for 4 quarters and then dropping him for not finding enough of the footy.

Enjoy this, also think if we dont get Cocky some time in the guts he will plataeu. Most games last year we only cycled the midfield with 8-9 players. I'd love to see 10-12 most weeks.

Bews would be on a different rung of uncertainty to the other three. Quite a gap between them.

Don't you think given Bews is probably the best small forward stopper his position is more certain?

I see Mak getting edged out for Touhy/Stewart and dropping either Stanley and Blicavs if they can't become more potent forward.

Don't you think given Bews is probably the best small forward stopper his position is more certain?

I see Mak getting edged out for Touhy/Stewart and dropping either Stanley and Blicavs if they can't become more potent forward.
Given they are trying Bews forward, I'd say there's quite a bit of doubt that he's the best small forward stopper.

Mackie continues to be underrated here. Stewart is miles behind him and Tuohy has replaced Boris.

Stanley needed to support Smith. Blicavs plays an important defensive role (also underrated here).

Geelong lost Guthrie at the start of the game and they also played Lang and Cockatoo on the wing and midfield.
There was no Menzel and there was no McCarthy.
This is likely why we saw Bews moved to the forward line to give us another small bodied presence as Parfitt was new and did not have the tank to run out a full game just yet.

Mackie is becoming underrated because he is slipping away and that is evident by his B&F voting over the last three seasons as he's averaged 14th place.

Blicavs is hardly underrated at all with his defensive roles as it's all we know he can do well.
Name another area of his game he is good at (apart from running all day and night)?
Bews has been training forward in preseason:

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...y/news-story/2158d55b08936cf30f39fbd9717f3353

Can't see any point debating Mackie and Blicavs. They will play every game they're fit in 2017.

Given they are trying Bews forward, I'd say there's quite a bit of doubt that he's the best small forward stopper.

Mackie continues to be underrated here. Stewart is miles behind him and Tuohy has replaced Boris.

Stanley needed to support Smith. Blicavs plays an important defensive role (also underrated here).

If Bews isnt our best then we sacrafice Guthrie to that position.

I don't underate Mak, he's gun best 22 includes him and Lonergan. But if the coach wants development then this isn't the road to go down.

Tuohy is more of a Mackie, Thurlow replaces Boris for mine.

Post your best 22 because from what your saying i feel it just seems to tall. I'm not having a dig at you, but we need improvements on last years errors.

Cowan should be the guy moved forward not Bews.

Bews should just stick to defense and use his bigger body to push small forwards around and provide run and carry.

Not agile enough to play forward anyway.

If Bews isnt our best then we sacrafice Guthrie to that position.

I don't underate Mak, he's gun best 22 includes him and Lonergan. But if the coach wants development then this isn't the road to go down.

Tuohy is more of a Mackie, Thurlow replaces Boris for mine.

Post your best 22 because from what your saying i feel it just seems to tall. I'm not having a dig at you, but we need improvements on last years errors.
Nah, #guthintheguts. I have Bews in my 22, by the way. We are getting off track.

If the coach wants development? I don't think that's the focus, no. Best 22 in search of a flag.

Thurlow is a Mackie clone. Just got some way to go defensively and finding the pill. He will be a super replacement in time.

Tuohy is about as good a replacement for Boris as we could hope for.

Can't be bothered typing the 22 on my phone but as per my earlier post today it's the Prelim side minus Boris, Bartel and Caddy plus Tuohy, Menzel and Cockatoo. So a quicker side but no change to centimetres (which are irrelevant IMO).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you see a team with both Mackie and Stewart in it?
Agree on Blicavs.
Geelong lost Guthrie at the start of the game and they also played Lang and Cockatoo on the wing and midfield.
There was no Menzel and there was no McCarthy.
This is likely why we saw Bews moved to the forward line to give us another small bodied presence as Parfitt was new and did not have the tank to run out a full game just yet.

Mackie is becoming underrated because he is slipping away and that is evident by his B&F voting over the last three seasons as he's averaged 14th place.

Blicavs is hardly underrated at all with his defensive roles as it's all we know he can do well.
Name another area of his game he is good at (apart from running all day and night)?

Bews has been training forward in preseason:

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...y/news-story/2158d55b08936cf30f39fbd9717f3353

Can't see any point debating Mackie and Blicavs. They will play every game they're fit in 2017.
As for Bews, like I said about other aspects of Friday's game. Powder dry for now, let's see what happens when we're much closer to full strength.

The last bit will likely be true, Mackie is a little dicier now imo, if some younger guys can lay down a marker early in the year then we'll see.

Lang needs to be playing seniors this year, right from round 1. Give him some time on the ball and everyone will see what he's capable of. No more playing him in a forward pocket for 4 quarters and then dropping him for not finding enough of the footy.

Lang looks like he may have worked his way into natural selection but just like with Cockatoo , I think we have to sometimes think longer term. We will have a better side in 2 or 3 years time with them having played 60 games. The good thing is both look like they will make their selection an easier choice.

Hi, shouldn't Motlop playing more in the midfield with Caddy gone and Geelong having a relatively thin midfield?

Hi, shouldn't Motlop playing more in the midfield with Caddy gone and Geelong having a relatively thin midfield?

Doubtful on that one mate, our midfield is stacked, Danger, Selwood, Selwood, Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola, Blicavs, Cowan. If reports are true, Lang and Cockatoo are ahead of Mots in the mids pecking order. Even Caddy played forward a lot more in 2016 to the point that was one of the reasons he left the club.

I expect Mots to line up on the wing at times but mostly present on the forward flanks, as for at the bounce forget it. To light bodied, not bad around the sticks.

I lot of squads/teams suggested above have left out Stewart. He took 8 marks on debut, he must be alright.
Yes, he's clearly great overhead but he coughed it up terribly though. Let's hope that's an aberration.

I actually like the idea of playing Bews as 6th forward to pressure and negate so Menzel, McCarthy and co can have a little more pressure there. But whether he can do it well enough is another thing...

Not really. And I'd have Thurlow ahead of Stewart.

Yep based on the weekend's game so would I. It's great that Stewart has been spoken about so positively, but there are a lot of choices for those mid to small defender positions. Can't see Stewart edging his way in there just yet, as Tuohy and I would think Thurlow are certainties, and there's also Bews and Ruggles. That's just for starters.

Last edited:
I actually like the idea of playing Bews as 6th forward to pressure and negate so Menzel, McCarthy and co can have a little more pressure there. But whether he can do it well enough is another thing...

If that's what they're after put Murdoch there. He's quicker than Bews, can apply decent forward pressure (he's done it before), and he's a natural forward. I think a small to medium combination of Menzel, Murdoch, and McCarthy could be fairly useful.

If that's what they're after put Murdoch there. He's quicker than Bews, can apply decent forward pressure (he's done it before), and he's a natural forward. I think a small to medium combination of Menzel, Murdoch, and McCarthy could be fairly useful.

The thing is Murdoch just looks like he has no idea. I wanted to like him, but he just doesn't have anything in him for any contest and doesn't use his actual strengths.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back