Hawthorn FC worst nightmare the 2017 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

If Brian lake had read bigfooty and taken the anti hawk ramblings in 2013 he'd not moved to hawthorn either

Seriously players aren't known for intelligence but they leave most in here behind

If Brian lake had read bigfooty and taken the anti hawk ramblings in 2013 he'd not moved to hawthorn either

Seriously players aren't known for intelligence but they leave most in here behind
Neither player was a free agent.

But hey you might be able to snare another Vickery or two.

Paddy Ryder. Even port can attract stars

Didn't seem to worry juddy or gazza

The AFL closed the "Ämbassador" rort that allowed the Blues to over pay Judd to the extent that occurred.

Ablett was gained with the benefit of the extra cash the AFL allowed him to be paid outside the cap, which was also a larger cap.

Neither rort will be available to the Hawks and so both examples are completely irrelevant.

The AFL closed the "Ämbassador" rort that allowed the Blues to over pay Judd to the extent that occurred.

Ablett was gained with the benefit of the extra cash the AFL allowed him to be paid outside the cap, which was also a larger cap.

Neither rort will be available to the Hawks and so both examples are completely irrelevant.

Had a look at Hawks draw and think they will finish 8-11. Honestly I know they have had a rough start but being a champion team and a great culture I still think they will push for the 8. Some teams are only 2 wins ahead of them. They will bounce back

Reality is they still can finish last but so can 6 other teams

Had a look at Hawks draw and think they will finish 8-11. Honestly I know they have had a rough start but being a champion team and a great culture I still think they will push for the 8. Some teams are only 2 wins ahead of them. They will bounce back

They're an extra game back with that %

Everyone could see the deal they did with the Saints was a shocker even when they looked like they would be a finals team this year.

It's now looking like one of the worse trades of all time. Saints would be laughing.
For me the deciding factor will be how O'Mera turns out. If he's a jet (as he likely will be) then its all good. If he bombs then that's the kicker.

Be surprised if they finish last but I think from here they are likely to finish bottom 5, it is always hard to ignore their history but at the moment it seems to me they look very old and slow and just do not have the cattle to rebound hard. Will win a few though I am sure.

I think when made was done Saints would have been thinking a pick in the 8 - 15 range. A pick in the top 5 would be a real bonus for Saints (if they can get it right!!!)

For Hawks sakes FA are going to be band aid fixes.

Majority of clubs have elite young talent on their list (picks 1-30) Hawks have picks (60-101 hoping they will come good) They are not good nor talented enough. Geelong developed players underneath and have a second tier Cockatoo, Menzel, Murdoch, Duncan, Guthrie, Thurlow and Biclavs. Along with their trades... Henderson, Tuohy, Stanley, Smith.. they also have another layer underneath...Kolodjasnij, Cowan, Lang, Parfitt..... then it runs really thin. But have lots to work with.

Hawks have absolutely no second tier nor anything coming from underneath - this list needs overhaul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only round 4. Plenty of games to be played yet. I think we will probably finish 12-14 with a strong finish. Teams that get off to a flier often fall away. Injuries, suspensions, drop in form etc. A high pick doesn't guarantee a superstar.

If JOM can stay on the park, Mitchell can improve and Vickery learns the game plan and can own a spot, there's an upside.

Youngsters like Sicily & Burton are just that. Still young, still learning.

I wouldn't totally write the Hawks off as cellar dwellers just yet. I'm expecting some pain but will be riding the bumps with a grin knowing that it's only up from here.

One of the interesting things about this trade is that Bains and the Saints actually approached the Hawks with the deal, and then they did it.

Just very clever trading by Bains.

I think Hawks may have to trade a player such as Rioli to get back into the draft.

502 points against only 4 rounds in is insane

To put it in perspective in 2012 Melbourne's total points against by round 4 was 506.

The margin tally was -229 Whereas Hawthorn this year is -221

Last edited:
What a disastrous trade period for the Hawks. Imagine dumping the two players that were the heart and soul of your football club, after many years of service. Then trading in the 5th best mid of another team for a late first rounder that was crucial to your clubs rebuild..... and Then giving away your following years early first rounder and second rounder for a guy with one knee.

Seems like the saints and the sun made out like bandits...

It's just tragic.

One of the interesting things about this trade is that Bains and the Saints actually approached the Hawks with the deal, and then they did it.

Just very clever trading by Bains.

I think Hawks may have to trade a player such as Rioli to get back into the draft.
Fascinating question what Rioli would command in trade market

Hawks are at the stage now where they will look to trade back into the first round like they did with players like Hay and Thompson in mid 2000s.Big question is who has currency.So what would Gunston,Breust,Smith, Puopolo,Birchall and even Shiel be worth?.Hawks ability to attract quality free agents is over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back