Who had best historic All Time 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

I do wish desperate Carlton fans would stop claiming Greg Williams as one of theirs....bloke will always be a Swannie.
I have always happily acknowledged Lockett should be picked as a Saints player first.
Judd is WCE. Dangerfield is still well and truly Adelaide etc etc
Btw...North fans, John Rantall is a swannie as well.
Dont like it ? Oh dear thats too bad.
No need to double up with so many greats of the game available.

I do wish desperate Carlton fans would stop claiming Greg Williams as one of theirs....bloke will always be a Swannie.
I have always happily acknowledged Lockett should be picked as a Saints player first.
He played more games for Carlton than for Sydney...

Been reminiscing with a few Carlton and Saints mates about creating a best 22 from our club's history and how they'd fare against each other.

Obviously we are a but limited by our age (all mid 20s) but:

-Who's in your all time 22 &
-How do they stack up?

Rules: Must have played at least 50 games for your club or at least had a significant contribution (Sam Mitchell doesn't count for WCE but Judd does)

Carlton's

Doull Silvagni Docherty
Kouta Southby Mckay

Nicholls Judd Williams
Bradley Ratten Barassi

Kernahan Jesaulenko
Bradley Fevola Betts

Johnston Sexton Hands Murphy

You have Bradley in there twice, remove one, Fevola as well. (Fev was not a team player imo). Replace with Madden and any one of McClure, Whitnall, Percy Jones, Carrazzo, Lappin, Hanna, Klomp, Rhys-Jones, Jackson, Sheldon, etc.

Won the BnF in a premiership year off HB; also very adept up forward and could play onball. Was one of the most courageous players I’ve ever seen. That mark in 83’ running with the flight as Maclure and Jim Jess I think it was, were charging out to meet it, was as gutsy an effort as you’ll ever see. Seemed to just have no regard for his own safety. Walks into any Carlton best 22 IMO. Loved Ang, but not a chance he’d get a jumper before Hunter.
Have to agree with that, without detracting from Ang, he was athletic and had pace but I think Hunter was more skillful and versatile.

You have Bradley in there twice, remove one, Fevola as well. (Fev was not a team player imo). Replace with Madden and any one of McClure, Whitnall, Percy Jones, Carrazzo, Lappin, Hanna, Klomp, Rhys-Jones, Jackson, Sheldon, etc.

Fev was twice the footballer that Whitnall and Lappin were

Gregg williams - premiership at carlton not sydney, ( carlton has every right, to claim him
John rantall premiership at north not south ( so they can claim him)
Judd premiership at wce, not carlton,,,( eagles claim him agree with you on that one)
Dangerfield who gives a *

This thread is more for the old timers, I’m happy to take a backseat and read through. Even some of Collingwood’s, I’ve never heard of/seen play.

Judd is WCE.

Newsflash:
Greg Williams played more games and more important times at Carlton than any other club.
FFS, he started out here and we cleared him to Geelong when we had so many faster midfielders he had little chance of getting a go. He won a Brownlow Medal, Norm Smith and Premiership at Carlton after we brought him back home.

You are kidding yourself. Take this advice.

Once again Judd, more time at Carlton than Eagles.
Don't like it? Go cry me a Swan river....

Of course you should acknowledge Lockett as a Saints player first. He spent 12 bloody seasons in seniors there.

Wish what you want.
Don't like how some others pick their clubs their best historic all time 22 ?
"Oh dear thats too bad."

I'll have a crack... apologies for any deserving players missed/forgotten (I'm sure many of you chaps around here will be quick to remind me)
note: liberally stolen from Hawthorn's team of the century with adjustments.

FB: Peter Knights - Kelvin Moore - Gary Ayres
HB: Shaun Burgoyne - Chris Mew - Luke Hodge (VC)
C: Robert DiPierdomenico - Sam Mitchell - Shane Crawford
HF: Dermott Brereton - Lance Franklin - John Platten
FF: Jason Dunstall - Peter Hudson - Cyril Rioli
R: Don Scott - Michael Tuck (C) - Leigh Matthews
INT: Grant Birchall - Chris Langford - Graham Arthur - Jarryd Roughead

Thats probably the scariest forward line ever assembled.....
few surprise inclusions... few stiff....

Good job Aramis.

My team would be:

FB: Andy Collins - Chris Langford - Gary Ayres
HB: Sam Mitchell - Chris Mew - Luke Hodge (VC)
C: Robert DiPierdomenico - John Platten - Shane Crawford
HF: Lance Franklin - Dermott Brereton - Peter Knights
INT: Graham Arthur - D. Jarman - Garry Buckenarra - Darren Pritchard

Coached by J Kennedy

This thread is more for the old timers, I’m happy to take a backseat and read through. Even some of Collingwood’s, I’ve never heard of/seen play.

It is a bit hard to really do unless you are an Eagles, Crows or Bears supporter given they are only clubs a fan may have seen all the players to pick from.

As a Carlton fan I would find it incredibly hard to convince myself I got the best 22 in history given my club been around over a century even before any of us born.

If I am trying to pick forward pocket how do I know Mickey Crisp, Ansell Clarke, Jack Wrout, Vin Gardiner, Ken Baxter or Paul Schmidt were not better than Syd Jackson. Matthew Lappin, Kenny Sheldon or Eddie Betts for all time team? Near impossible and even if I do name our best, without really knowing myself, most readers would not even have heard of them so dismiss in their mind straight away. Just the reality of it.

Similarly for back pocket how could I pick one from Bruce Comden, Jim Park, John James, Bob Chitty, Laurie Kerr or Wayne Harmes? Near impossible task?

How would Stawell Gift winner Norman Clark or Bert Deacon go at half back compared to Ken Hunter, Bruce Doull, Robert Klomp, Peter Dean, Andrew McKay, Kade Simpson or Sam Docherty ? None of us could really know for sure.

Was George Coulthard an amazing player like a Jezza? None of us can really know.

Too hard to be honest but fun to see what others come of with and comedy of seeing guys like Ang Christou named.

Good job Aramis.

My team would be:

FB: Andy Collins - Chris Langford - Gary Ayres
HB: Sam Mitchell - Chris Mew - Luke Hodge (VC)
C: Robert DiPierdomenico - John Platten - Shane Crawford
HF: Lance Franklin - Dermott Brereton - Peter Knights
INT: Graham Arthur - D. Jarman - Garry Buckenarra - Darren Pritchard

Coached by J Kennedy
That forward line is possibly a little tall, but would probably end up averaging 30 goals a game and no best 22 defence in history could contain it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That forward line is possibly a little tall, but would probably end up averaging 30 goals a game and no best 22 defence in history could contain it.

In light of this... which best 22 defence in history would match up best/have the best shot at stopping that forward line?

In the modern era it would be a battle between the Hawks & Cats.

Adelaide
B: Hart, Rutten, Johncock
HB: McLeod, Bock, Smart
C: Johnson, Ricciuto, Sloane
HF: Burton, Walker, Edwards
F: Betts, Modra, D Jarman
R: Rehn, Dangerfield, Goodwin
I: Robran, Bassett, Thompson, McGuiness

far out that's a good side

no room for bickley, A Jarman or McDermott though?

Yeah true... it is not really a forward line to play a game is it.

I also feel really strange having Pritchard in the team. But could he run and kick, and all day, and very brave, and in finals, so i don't know.

Newsflash:
Greg Williams played more games and more important times at Carlton than any other club.
FFS, he started out here and we cleared him to Geelong when we had so many faster midfielders he had little chance of getting a go. He won a Brownlow Medal, Norm Smith and Premiership at Carlton after we brought him back home.

You are kidding yourself. Take this advice.

Once again Judd, more time at Carlton than Eagles.
Don't like it? Go cry me a Swan river....

Of course you should acknowledge Lockett as a Saints player first. He spent 12 bloody seasons in seniors there.c

Wish what you want.
Don't like how some others pick their clubs their best historic all time 22 ?
"Oh dear thats too bad."
None of that would have happened if not for Billy bloody Goggin refusing to give Diesel the extra cash he wanted.
Had he done so we may have won one of those GF's.

B: Corey Enright - Matthew Scarlett - Bernie Smith
HB: Andrew Mackie - Reg Hickey - Dick Grigg
C: Alistair Lord - Gary Ablett Jr - Garry Hocking
HF: Peter Riccardi - Bill Brownless - Gary Ablett Sr
F: Paul Chapman - Doug Wade - Steve Johnson
R: Graham Farmer - Bill Goggin - Joel Selwood
I/C: John Newman - Ian Nankervis - Bob Davis - Fred Flanagan

you know you have a strong side when a brownlow medallist, in bartel, can't even get a spot on the bench

what a great line up

In light of this... which best 22 defence in history would match up best/have the best shot at stopping that forward line?

Bob Chitty would just beat Piggy Dunstall into submission. SOS would give Hudson a bath, Kenny Hunter and Peter Knights would be a wonderful duel but in the end Knights humbled by the masterful Kenny Hunter, Rhys-Jones tear Dermy another new one, Buddy would be worried we might pull out Alex Silvagni like we did this year but in the end Doull would fix him which leaves us with Rioli to hope to get off leash and get you in the game. Brownlow Medallist John James or Bert Deacon would put him in his place or Stawell Gift winner Norman Clark be too quick for him or Wayne Harmes fix him up and also then move forward and kick 4 goals on your forward line once moved forward after Rioli benched.

Meanwhile our forward line of Jezza, Sticks, Dominator etc etc got us 10 goals up and your lot given up already.
:p

Bob Chitty would just beat Piggy Dunstall into submission. SOS would give Hudson a bath, Kenny Hunter and Peter Knights would be a wonderful duel but in the end Knights humbled by the masterful Kenny Hunter, Rhys-Jones tear Dermy another new one, Buddy would be worried we might pull out Alex Silvagni like we did this year but in the end Doull would fix him which leaves us with Rioli to hope to get off leash and get you in the game. Brownlow Medallist John James or Bert Deacon would put him in his place or Stawell Gift winner Norman Clark be too quick for him or Wayne Harmes fix him up and also then move forward and kick 4 goals on your forward line once moved forward after Rioli benched.

Meanwhile our forward line of Jezza, Sticks, Dominator etc etc got us 10 goals up and your lot given up already.
:p
John Kennedy at Half Time pulled some moves.....and:

Dermot knocked Rhys-Jones out in a fair fight.

Dunstall confused Bruce Doull asking for advice about hair loss (it didn't make sense at the time).

Hudson's ass was way too big and skillfull for a slight Silvagni

Hunter and Knights was just fun to watch.

Bob Chitty was just too old fashioned for Buddy.....

No-name Norman Clark forced Rioli to pull a hamstring, so we rotated Buckenarra and Jarman till he cried.

:)

John Kennedy at Half Time pulled some moves.....and:

Dermot knocked Rhys-Jones out in a fair fight.

Dunstall confused Bruce Doull asking for advice about hair loss (it didn't make sense at the time).

Hudson's ass was way too big and skillfull for a slight Silvagni

Hunter and Knights was just fun to watch.

Bob Chitty was just too old fashioned for Buddy.....

No-name Norman Clark forced Rioli to pull a hamstring, so we rotated Buckenarra and Jarman till he cried.

:)

ha ha. Good stuff. Peter Dean would then come on with his arm guard and use it send Dermy brain matter into next week.

far out that's a good side

no room for bickley, A Jarman or McDermott though?
Bickley probably the unluckiest as dual premiership captain. I was tossing up between him & Bassett for the 7th defender bench spot.

McDermott got pipped by his fellow Mac mate on the bench.

A Jarman played his best footy before the Crows & I would probably have him in my state side as had a great record against the Victorians.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back