Scott: Waite's best footy is ahead of him

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne proved you don't just delist all your old blokes at once. We got rid of Drew last year (who played OK at West Coast) and this will be Waite's last year.

Brown established himself properly last year, another year with Waite alongside while the likes of McKay/Durdin/Larkey - who were all blooded last year - come on - and then in 2019 we go with Brown and one of those blokes.

As the talking meerkat would say, simples.
Looks like you have plenty of tall players.
Question is whether they can play. How did they perform up forward last year?

Another year of Waite means less opportunities for development for these guys.

A little bewildering considering you won’t be contending this year.

I think its dumb but who cares? It's a vague opinion given by a coach at a press conference about his own player. Its not fact. Its just such a boring topic.

It would be more interesting to talk about how people think Waite will go rather than what everyone thinks of what how his coach thinks he'll go.

You might also wanna change your dp.... looks as though you're taking the piss out of Jobe.
in the off season, on a football discussion forum, and a senior coach says what is ostensibly one of the dumbest things anyone has ever heard - that you even agree is dumb - and you think we shouldn't discuss it?

yeah right, sure

Brad loves to pump up his players. Personally I think he takes it to far but I guess we don't have the back of the Herald Sun doing it for us like Collingwood.
Waite has played beautifully for most of his time at North though. Think he has mastered his craft as much as possible. He could have a run of games that are among his career best but his body won't let him have a career best season.
It's not great PR. Scott should be using his time in the media to raise the profile of one of our future guns rather than a player in almost certainly his last season.

Why? I think he has some serious good footy to offer if he is injury free. The guy can play.
said Carlton and North supporters, every single year he ever played.

And every single year he ever played he had a handful of blinders, a hell of a lot of mediocrity, and invariably got injured.

But yeah nah, if he's injured the guy can play. He's going to start playing the best footy as a 35 year old in a probable bottom 4 team. Yow!!

Looks like you have plenty of tall players.
Question is whether they can play. How did they perform up forward last year?

Another year of Waite means less opportunities for development for these guys.

A little bewildering considering you won’t be contending this year.

No, throwing them to the wolves would be stupid. This way we can develop them nicely. Of McKay/Durdin/Larkey, I actually expect the first two will play KDP while Larkey - who is one year onb a list - is the KPF.

It is called rebuilding, you must remember the 29 years of it you did to lead up to last year.

in the off season, on a football discussion forum, and a senior coach says what is ostensibly one of the dumbest things anyone has ever heard - that you even agree is dumb - and you think we shouldn't discuss it?

yeah right, sure

It is miles and miles away from the dumbest thing a coach has ever said in the off season.

"I'm shocked to be sitting here" by James Hird will never ever be topped.

It is called rebuilding, you must remember the 29 years of it you did to lead up to last year.
I remember alright.
Our best forward in Matthew Richardson was sent to the wing for the twilight of his career while we invested games in Jack Riewoldt to develop up forward.

If Larkey is your great white hope up forward, giving him games over Waite this year to develop him as the second forward would be an investment in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

said Carlton and North supporters, every single year he ever played.

And every single year he ever played he had a handful of blinders, a hell of a lot of mediocrity, and invariably got injured.

But yeah nah, if he's injured the guy can play. He's going to start playing the best footy as a 35 year old in a probable bottom 4 team. Yow!!
I am not going into the whole ‘North are a bottom 4 lock’ crap, because they aren’t a lock for it but anyway.

As far as Waite goes, all he needs is a good year whilst a few younger KPF develop. If he is fit you pick him. He is the kind of guy as a defender you need to respect, you can’t just ignore him or he will kick 6.

Silly statement, but I think Waite has played some career best footy at North, in his 30s. When he's fit, I believe he is one of the most dangerous forwards on the game. When he's fit...

It is miles and miles away from the dumbest thing a coach has ever said in the off season.

"I'm shocked to be sitting here" by James Hird will never ever be topped.
"ostensibly" ;)

But yes, that was a good 'un, hard to top. As was Schwabbies 2004 prediction of the Hawks winning the flag, then going 2-18. Malthouse gets a pass card for being tongue in cheek.

But come on. Brad has a wonderful record with this kind of hyperbole but this one has to take the cake. "I agree that 35 year old injury-prone inconsistent footballer Jarrod Waite's best footy is in front of him". Far king lollerskates!!!

Brad loves to pump up his players. Personally I think he takes it to far but I guess we don't have the back of the Herald Sun doing it for us like Collingwood.
Waite has played beautifully for most of his time at North though. Think he has mastered his craft as much as possible. He could have a run of games that are among his career best but his body won't let him have a career best season.
It's not great PR. Scott should be using his time in the media to raise the profile of one of our future guns rather than a player in almost certainly his last season.
Why put unnecessary heat on a kid?

I am not going into the whole ‘North are a bottom 4 lock’ crap, because they aren’t a lock for it but anyway.

As far as Waite goes, all he needs is a good year whilst a few younger KPF develop. If he is fit you pick him. He is the kind of guy as a defender you need to respect, you can’t just ignore him or he will kick 6.
in no universe does "probably bottom 4 team" equate to "lock" :drunk:

And your second sentence is just remarkable. Yes, no s**t. But "one good year whilst the kids develop" is an extraordinarily long way from him having his best footy in front of him. Do you not see that?

in no universe does "probably bottom 4 team" equate to "lock" :drunk:

And your second sentence is just remarkable. Yes, no s**t. But "one good year whilst the kids develop" is an extraordinarily long way from him having his best footy in front of him. Do you not see that?
His best return is 42 goals. Injury free he can easily top that. So no, I don’t see that.

So you didn't read the OP just came in to have a sook?

The OP, which btw notice you didn't bother addressing how your vague assumption is wrong, is about Brad Scott giving his opinion. Its not about whether or not Waite will live up to Scott's opinion its about whether he would've been better talking up a North player other then Waite. Its about the fact that he spruiked Waite instead of another North player.

So..

Reporter: How is Waite going Brad?

Brad: Brown will have his best year yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back