Hurn high hit on Honeychurch

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Bulldogs player had protected himself instead of dangerously leading with his head he'd be fine. Sux for the player he got hurt but really players need to take some responsibility for their own safety.

This is like 2 or 3 years after Boomer Harvey testified that Ryan Crowley pinched him ~300 times yeah? Not that the "players code" was ever a real thing though, strange post.

The players' code died a natural death when Campbell Brown lied to get Chris Judd off a charge. Judd got off and Brown was suspended for lying. :)

Very similar to the incident that put Neil Sachse in a wheelchair. Honeychurch fumbled the ball and put his head down to regather but fumbled again - Hurn ran in from the other direction and bumped Honeychurch on the crown of the skull, which has the potential to compress the vertebrae at the top of the spine and cause a paraplegia or quadraplegia.

The fact the collision wasn't violent will save Hurn from a lengthy suspension, but any time a player chooses to bump, hits a player flush on the head and that player ends up in hospital, means a penalty is required.

Very similar to the incident that put Neil Sachse in a wheelchair. Honeychurch fumbled the ball and put his head down to regather but fumbled again - Hurn ran in from the other direction and bumped Honeychurch on the crown of the skull, which has the potential to compress the vertebrae at the top of the spine and cause a paraplegia or quadraplegia.

The fact the collision wasn't violent will save Hurn from a lengthy suspension, but any time a player chooses to bump, hits a player flush on the head and that player ends up in hospital, means a penalty is required.
Hurn was stationary . The only bumping motion was from honeychurch . Not hurns fault honeychurch stumbled head first into him . Hurn had every right to protect himself

Further more honeychurch didnt fumble the ball he didnt even touch it

Players leading with their head or intentionally creating high contact is a result of legislative changes to protect the head. In the past, the threat of injury playing a contact sport was self regulated. Players were taught to protect themselves. It was the sensible thing to do. Turn side on like Hurn did. I have a duty of care not to get my head knocked off. You don't need to legislate this because it is common sense.

So now we have a duty of care to protect everyone's head but our own and players are running around trying to get hit in the head. This is madness.

Honeychurch may not be a Michael Walters or Luke Shuey but he's playing in a league where it is becoming customary to let someone else worry about their own head. It would be appalling if Shannon Hurn is sacrificed to the nanny state for turning side on to protect himself.

It's time to stop pandering to people who think every kid getting a medal is a good idea. They are ruining society with their idiotic good intentions.

On a lighter note it reminded me of a story about Cobras in India. Found this on wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_effect

The cobra effect occurs when an attempted solution to a problem makes the problem worse,[1][2] as a type of unintended consequence. The term is used to illustrate the causes of incorrect stimulation in economy and politics.[2]

The term cobra effect originated in an anecdote set at the time of British rule of colonial India. The British government was concerned about the number of venomous cobra snakes in Delhi.[3] The government therefore offered bounty for every dead cobra. Initially this was a successful strategy as large numbers of snakes were killed for the reward. Eventually, however, enterprising people began to breed cobras for the income. When the government became aware of this, the reward program was scrapped, causing the cobra breeders to set the now-worthless snakes free. As a result, the wild cobra population further increased. The apparent solution for the problem made the situation even worse.[2][4]

Genuinely surprised by the amount of posters that don't rate Hurn better than a witches hat.

Hurn braced for contact with Honeychurch coming at him. He didn't choose contact to me. It's an Unfortunated incident and I hope Honeychurch is ok.
No citing over that surely.

It's ridiculous that a stationary player may get cited. No bumping action at all.

Should get looked at and thrown out on Monday and if not I will buy a one way ticket to Melbourne and burn down AFL House.
I think what people miss is the outcome affects the penalty when a player infringes. The player has to infringe the rules first and Hurn surely didn't.

hurn will het a week because he plays for WC and another because Christianson ? is an absolute flog of the unimaginably highest order

he will be the first player suspended for standing still while a moppets ran into him. Like Nic Nat he should have assessed the opponents weight and got into reverse.

Hurn 3 weeks. Needed to compute the weight differential caused by his protein intake and therefore the high likelihood of someone hurting themseves when they run into him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

172763959dccb5cc884096e6ca719004ec0e0467

A fitting post. Sums up this incident perfectly.

feel like hurn could have done more to avoid hurting honeychurch (could have moved laterally to lessen the impact) but nothing wrong in the context of the game or in protecting himself.

no case to answer i reckon
Sure, Hurn could have done more but he shouldn't have done more. The ball is being fumbled towards him, he sets himself and braces for contact and controls the drop zone (in a sense he was protecting the area the ball was going to)

feel like hurn could have done more to avoid hurting honeychurch (could have moved laterally to lessen the impact) but nothing wrong in the context of the game or in protecting himself.

no case to answer i reckon

He did turn side on and started attempting to take evasive action. He was already stationary by the time Honeychurch collided with him.

I hope it's no case to answer but who knows with Michael Christian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back