Best/worst midfield 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait so he would be, 2nd, 3rd & 4th at Melbourne in important midfield categories, so not even in their best 2 overall and you still think he is top tier? Despite just arguing against yourself?

That’s hilarious

He is a balanced/more outside midfielder yet compares well statistically to very good inside mids in those categories. There is no shame in that. And my argument wasn't even that he was a top tier mid (where did I say that?) - I was disagreeing with someone that claimed Merrett has a poor inside game.

Rough first crack. Probably need to move some from average to good but can't work out who.

Very good
  • Collingwood
  • GWS
  • Melbourne
Good
  • Richmond
Average
  • Geelong
  • West Coast
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Brisbane
  • North Melbourne
  • Bulldogs
  • Hawthorn
  • Sydney
  • Essendon
Bad
  • St Kilda
  • Fremantle
  • Carlton
Very bad
  • Gold Coast
You probably need to add an "above-average" tier, as Geelong, WC and Essendon all have far better mids than #loln0rf and the Dogs

DeGoey will also rotate through the midfield more frequently I suspect. After seeing what he did on Queens Birthday that a pretty scary proposition...
Yep, He bullied the Dees that day.

Hopefully Elliott coming back up forward enables DeGoey to split his time 50/50 in the midfield.

Funny how Wells doesn’t even get a mention in most Pies teams, could be a handy addition also!

Yeah, see thats the problem with you guys. Flat out refuse to draft/trade for forwards. One of those players is capable of taking a mark in a contest and is not very reliable.

Bit harsh considering Mason Cox was took the most contested marks out of all forwards in 2018 despite a poor start to the year.... Out of interest any teams have more than one forward on the top 20 for contested marks?

I wouldn’t have Merrett in the top 15 mids. Maybe he wouldn’t be in the top 20. Not sure what tier that makes him.
That’s my point. Merrett isn’t elite anywhere yet as a midfielder IMO. He doesn’t get forward and kick the goals that Coniglio Beams Parker etc can kick. He hasn’t got the run of Smith Scully or Gaff as an outside runner. His inside work isn’t good enough to be a top midfielder on a top eight team. He is a beautiful kick and he’s quick but he needs to add other parts to his game to become a true A grade midfielder. Right now he’s a B+ mid which is in my mind two tiers below the likes of Fyfe Danger. Cripps who are clearly top ten players. I definitely can see Merrett becoming a true A grade midfielder in a couple of years but right now he shouldn’t be in the conversation with Cripps. Honestly he’s a bit like Shiel; I still think Essendon needs just one more inside bull to truly become a top four and premiership contender like a Cunnington/Wines/Rocklif/JPK who can just get down and dirty and give you 15+ contested possessions a week. But obviously essendon doesn’t have that now, so I can’t see them breaking through into the top four unless Langford or Clarke takes that next step. And right now they still don’t have a top 8 midfield, and with their forward and back lines they might not need much more than the sixth best midfield in the game to win a flag.

Yep, He bullied the Dees that day.

Hopefully Elliott coming back up forward enables DeGoey to split his time 50/50 in the midfield.

Funny how Wells doesn’t even get a mention in most Pies teams, could be a handy addition also!
Yep, I think most have forgotten about or written off Wells.

But if, and it’s a big if, he gets back to anywhere near his proven potential, he makes the lineup rotating through the midfield even more insane:

Grundy, Pendles, Beams, Treloar, Adams, Sidebottom, Sier, Phillips, DeGoey, Wells.

Jesus Christ. Hopefully our front end and back end can hold up, because if it clicks, that midfield is pretty damn close to being untouchable. Fingers crossed!

Denzel Washington has more balls than you lot.. you all seem to take it in your stride and gather daisies as you go...
Can't you see that dynamics are worth more than a bunch of statistics.. and you are doing worse than that..

Lions midfield will be good in a couple years. The 3 promising first round picks McCluggage, Rayner and Berry to go with the experienced heads Martin, Neale and Zorko.

Collingwood easily the best right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something tells me it's not the plebs in here that has driven you nuts
just to let you into a secret... it is a bit of you and a bit of me and a bit of everyone else that crashes my party.

but that shouldn't mean that you have to do everything a certain way. I carry things well enough and then you all can
do it your way.

Denzel Washington has more balls than you lot.. you all seem to take it in your stride and gather daisies as you go...
Can't you see that dynamics are worth more than a bunch of statistics.. and you are doing worse than that..
What are you on about mate?o_O

Collingwood midfield is a scary prospect.

Sidebottom is the best and most creative midfielder in the comp right now in my opinion.

Pendles and Beams in the twilight of their careers but still have a couple of elite years left in them.

De Goey is an absolute freak and will continue to improve.

Treloar and Adams are top tier midfielders when they're in form.

The best ruck in the comp Grundy putting it down their throats.

Opposition coaches are going to have nightmares about matching up on that midfield.

Sidebottom is the best and most creative midfielder in the comp right now in my opinion.

Pendles and Beams in the twilight of their careers but still have a couple of elite years left in them.

Opposition coaches are going to have nightmares about matching up on that midfield.
Lemons hate to be notified of the fact... they all want to be reminded of the past and that they were one
of the former champions..

I wouldn’t say Beams is in the twilight of his career, he’s the same age as Sidebottom, hopefully they both have 3-5 years left in them. Having such depth in the midfield means they can both get more resting time and won’t be relied on so much. Pendlebury is definitely in the twilight however, hopefully he doesn’t slow down too much.

You also forgot to add Sier and Phillips into the mix, I think those two young kids have a really bright future. Especially Sier.

I wouldn’t say Beams is in the twilight of his career, he’s the same age as Sidebottom, hopefully they both have 3-5 years left in them. Having such depth in the midfield means they can both get more resting time and won’t be relied on so much. Pendlebury is definitely in the twilight however, hopefully he doesn’t slow down too much.

You also forgot to add Sier and Phillips into the mix, I think those two young kids have a really bright future. Especially Sier.
Personally I'm not expecting Beams to play for more than 3 or 4 years. He has played the last year or so relatively injury free but his body has taken a battering in the process, often playing through games very sore. Doesn't help he's got a history of soft tissue injuries. He may spend more time up forward to prolong his career but I think his best is behind him and he's only got a couple of years of elite level form left in him.

You're right about Sier and Phillips, I left them out because the list of midfielders above them was already pretty long. Theres some serious depth there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back