Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sturt looks like a great player, from all reports he could be anything. However, it's still an interesting pick, I thought for sure we'd be grabbing best available mid.

Would love to see a Griff Logue style announcement of a contract extension with this kid, to reward his enthusiasm to come over and play for us if nothing else, within the first week or two of his arrival. Let him know he has time to develop into the gun we all hope he can be. :purpleheart:

Watching the highlights, this kid is good. The intercept/spoil and look away handball play is the kind of creativity you want to see.

I don't care who else was available, this kid has it.

That’s what it looks like to me. Good footy brain no matter how long he’s played, good leap, nice left boot, good mark and some speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair to say i wasn't expecting us to pick Sturt, i was quite keen on Hill. Maybe with the NGA products we have coming through we think that they are quite similar in playing style to Hill. I dont know whether the Eagles will pick him as they already have Ryan and Rioli and will be picking Cameron also, but Hill may just be to good to pass up. I think the Eagles go Taylor first up and then Adelaide may swoop on Hill as Betts replacement, although they have picked up McHenry as the small forward type already.

I'm hoping for Foley or Joyce at our next pick, not to keen on Stack as he has already stated that he would like to get out of WA due to off field issues and influences here in Perth.

Fair to say i wasn't expecting us to pick Sturt, i was quite keen on Hill. Maybe with the NGA products we have coming through we think that they are quite similar in playing style to Hill. I dont know whether the Eagles will pick him as they already have Ryan and Rioli and will be picking Cameron also, but Hill may just be to good to pass up.

That's a really interesting point that I haven't seen raised before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a really interesting point that I haven't seen raised before.
I'm purely going off of what has been said but we have Henry who looks a small skillful forward and can't remember the name of the other young NGA product that put a pretty good season together for the Claremont colts. Having already got Switta, Matera, Crowden, Walters and to a lesser extent Ballas on the list by adding another small that is a fair few in a couple of years time and you can't play them all in the team together. Just a thought i may be completely off the mark however

Wanna see something really scary?

580197_b945e89de7ea69b26df5f3c3e2c9f329.png

Poor guy has been stretched, had the flesh peeled from his bones, then stretched again.

**** me, if this guy turned out anything like Fyfe, combined with that kick... jesus!

Yeah precisely - very very rare to see a kick that good, on a guy that green.

Plus for comparison's sake (speed wise), IIRC Langdon also ran a 2.9-ish 20m sprint.

It's his combined acceleration and vertical leap that grabs me though. A 91cm running leap and a 1.06 second 5 meter sprint... they guy was made to be a lead-up forward!

Now - somebody get Pav on the coaching panel to help teach him some compact leading patterns.

Drove back to the city today through Frankston South on the bayside route back from the Peninsula - it's a good hour away in no traffic. Frankston South and Mt Eliza are where things start to feel more MP and less Melbourne. Also he went to Peninsula Grammar IIRC, so likely surrounded by more rural/peri-urban kids than city kids.

Last edited:
Nothing against Ian Hill.. but i unashamedly gave a fist pump and semi-loud "Yessss" when his name was read out. I had fully expected Hill when he was available, but have wanted Sturt since he was mentioned last week and finding all the footage i could. No idea what im talking about.. but was a nice change to get what i really wanted at draft time

One of my favorite picks in the draft. I reckon he's pretty special.

Quaynor is a bloody good defender and is ready made and developed already for AFL and this kid Sturt torched him in the Grand Final at our home ground......and he's yet to do any kind of pre-season at all. They had to resort to putting Will Kelly on him eventually to try to slow him down a bit.

I seem to remember a kid very similar at 18 who announced himself in a Colts Grand Final. That's the stage to do it. Screams a player/person who'll thrive stepping up in grade to me.

Really good pick imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back