Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just amazes me how many people want to throw away 3 picks from the Top 25 just to get a solitary pick inside Top 10 or Top 5, which could be a bust and we are left twiddling fingers.
Play the averages, we have aging stars on the list, and an average list for Sub 21yo's. We could have a really good draft haul with 3-4 picks inside Top 35 for a change, you know get a few +B or -A graders, and maybe 1 elite player.

RE: Bonar and a few other names floated.

In modern football, I reckon if a player has not broken through at his first club, he is very long odds to make it.

Sure there are exceptions but so many more fails (look at Carlton's list for starters). Someone like Caddy I would not count, as he was a regular at Geelong and even Gold Coast.

I would set an incredibly high bar before considering a player from another club. I think Geelong is coming around to this view too. Menegola bit of an exception but he did his penance in WAFL and came back. Rohan and Lukey very much known commodities at top level.

I would much prefer to try a mature age State League recruit. Reckon more hits there.

In theory I agree but I reckon you can make the odd exception with clubs stacked with high end draft talent like GWS and GC.

Scrimshaw only played 4 games for GC in 2 seasons but looked good for the Hawks this year.

I suppose for every Scrimshaw there's an O'Rourke, but there's plenty of untapped talent at the expansion clubs regardless.

As an aside, apart from Smith who has one foot out the door, we don't have any players on our list originally recruited by GWS / GC. Richmond and Collingwood have multiples (Caddy, Lynch, Prestia, Treloar, Adams, Hoskin-Elliott) and Brisbane look like picking up Callum Ah Chee, former #8 draft pick with the Suns, this trade period. I'd be more than happy to take a punt on a Bonar type who was drafted with the type of pick we never have access to...

EDIT: then there's the likes of Setterfield, Lobb, Marchbank and Steele who've left GWS (some cheaply, some not)... GC's list of successes outside the big names is not as notable but I'd kill to have Adam Saad on our list.

Just amazes me how many people want to throw away 3 picks from the Top 25 just to get a solitary pick inside Top 10 or Top 5, which could be a bust and we are left twiddling fingers.
Play the averages, we have aging stars on the list, and an average list for Sub 21yo's. We could have a really good draft haul with 3-4 picks inside Top 35 for a change, you know get a few +B or -A graders, and maybe 1 elite player.

Totally agree with this. A wise old hand at the draft once told me. Usually 1, maybe 2-3 standouts. Then there is 30 kids who can all play. Clubs, pick them all apart and apply a ranking but reality is, you will find it hard to seperate these 30 until they land at their clubs. Then it comes down to a little bit of luck. Buy more tickets.

I think there’s a bit of value in the middle of the draft this year. The likes of Ryan Byrnes, Zak Pretty, Darcy Chirgwin, Sam Philp, etc.

Chirgwin looks a typical Wells pick up. A 191cm mid, missed the champs coming off a broken leg. Played for Sandringham all year and averaged 25 disposals, 8 tackles, 5 clearances, 3 inside 50s. Not featuring in many phantoms at this stage. Could be a value get late.

Here’s a write up on him from earlier in the year:

IT was Darcy Chirgwin’s first game for the Sandringham Dragons this year.
You wouldn’t have known it. He showed mid-season form, collecting 32 possessions and having 16 tackles against Eastern Ranges at the Box Hill City Oval on Sunday.
Chirgwin broke his leg before the season but, such is his talent, as he recovered he was named in the Vic Country squad for the national championships.
“Absolutely thrilled with Darcy,’’ Dragons coach Josh Bourke fizzed.
“He showed why he’s an Academy player and I think he’ll be right in the mix for Country this week.
“We’ve got our fingers for him.
“First game at NAB League level in pretty much a year and he had 32 possessions and was really important for us. Looked a class above at times.’’
The Dragons lost to Eastern 8.8 (56) to 5.8 (38).

Chirgwin came into the team alongside seven newcomers as part of the NAB League Futures round: Lachlan Carrigan, Chris Long, Nick Grech, Liam Hayes, Brodie Tonkin, Joseph Nowell and Josh Miller.
Bourke is certainly getting a good look at his squad: more than 60 players have represented the Dragons this season.

The coach likes the concept of Futures Round.

“You’re looking for something from the kids, and we certainly got that,’’ he said.
“Lachie Carrigan (from Hampton Rovers Under 19s and the youngest player on the list) had really promising moments. He didn’t really feature on the statistics but you looked at him and thought, ‘Yeah, this kid’s at the level’.
“Toby Sheezel played his second game and we moved him down back as a bit of a break-the-glass-in-case-of-an-emergency type of move, and he was exceptional. So we could be pleased with some of our 17-year-olds.
“That makes it (Futures Round) worthwhile but the only thing I find interesting is that … maybe we not play for points. And that’s got nothing to do with us losing. I just think it’s clearly a different competition. But for a good reason. I sit there and wonder if it wasn’t for points, would it encourage you to blood some 16-year-olds and give them earlier exposure to the level?’’

As part of the round Bourke handed the coaching reins over to Jackson Kornberg, who is in charge of the Dragons’ Under 16 team this year.
Bourke said it was recognition that Kornberg was “hopefully next in line to take a NAB League job in the near future’’.
“He’s a wonderful educational coach. He really gets the game,’’ Bourke said. “We were certainly well served with him in the box.’’
Eastern Ranges 2.2, 4.4, 7.6, 8.8 (56)
Sandringham Dragons 1.2, 3.5, 5.6, 5.8 (38)
Dragons goals: J. Bell, J. Goddard, J. Miller, E. Soylemez, J. Mifsud.
Best: D. Chirgwin, T. Sheezel, G. Grey, J. Lloyd, J. Mifsud, J. Voss

In theory I agree but I reckon you can make the odd exception with clubs stacked with high end draft talent like GWS and GC.

Scrimshaw only played 4 games for GC in 2 seasons but looked good for the Hawks this year.

I suppose for every Scrimshaw there's an O'Rourke, but there's plenty of untapped talent at the expansion clubs regardless.

As an aside, apart from Smith who has one foot out the door, we don't have any players on our list originally recruited by GWS / GC. Richmond and Collingwood have multiples (Caddy, Lynch, Prestia, Treloar, Adams, Hoskin-Elliott) and Brisbane look like picking up Callum Ah Chee, former #8 draft pick with the Suns, this trade period. I'd be more than happy to take a punt on a Bonar type who was drafted with the type of pick we never have access to...

EDIT: then there's the likes of Setterfield, Lobb, Marchbank and Steele who've left GWS (some cheaply, some not)... GC's list of successes outside the big names is not as notable but I'd kill to have Adam Saad on our list.

Reckon nearly all those players mentioned played good footy at first club.

I am now going to apply a caveat to my rule, and that is key defenders. Reckon they seem to have more success at other clubs.

Scrimshaw unfortunately looks a good player, i agree.

Saad was a big miss for a lot of clubs. A real gun that guy.

Even if you get 2 out of 4 that flourish still a win. From 5-25 it's pretty much an even draft so take what we've got and hit the draft seeing next year is heavily compromised. We can load up next year on either FA or trade for 2021

I would much prefer to try a mature age State League recruit. Reckon more hits there.

Would definitely have agreed last year but i’m wondering if the introduction of the mid year draft last year may have changed this a bit...was it 10?? who were drafted and taken from the pool? Might still be others there but just harder to find.

Would definitely have agreed last year but i’m wondering if the introduction of the mid year draft last year may have changed this a bit...was it 10?? who were drafted and taken from the pool? Might still be others there but just harder to find.

Good point which I had not considered

RE: Bonar and a few other names floated.

In modern football, I reckon if a player has not broken through at his first club, he is very long odds to make it.

Sure there are exceptions but so many more fails (look at Carlton's list for starters). Someone like Caddy I would not count, as he was a regular at Geelong and even Gold Coast.

I would set an incredibly high bar before considering a player from another club. I think Geelong is coming around to this view too. Menegola bit of an exception but he did his penance in WAFL and came back. Rohan and Lukey very much known commodities at top level.

I think it depends on position a bit. Mids there are stacks of spots at most clubs you should be able to get a spot if you are good enough. Rucks though often you need a trade from being a no2 somewhere to a no1 elsewhere to make it. Its kind of a case by case thing.

Totally agree with this. A wise old hand at the draft once told me. Usually 1, maybe 2-3 standouts. Then there is 30 kids who can all play. Clubs, pick them all apart and apply a ranking but reality is, you will find it hard to seperate these 30 until they land at their clubs. Then it comes down to a little bit of luck. Buy more tickets.

The 3 picks give you more hits in case you miss.
The higher pick gives you less hits but more ability to pick specific to your needs rather than whatever type slides through.
Depends on what you are after.

Reckon nearly all those players mentioned played good footy at first club.

I am now going to apply a caveat to my rule, and that is key defenders. Reckon they seem to have more success at other clubs.

Scrimshaw unfortunately looks a good player, i agree.

Saad was a big miss for a lot of clubs. A real gun that guy.

Scrimshaw Setterfield didnt Marchbank didnt much so there are some exceptions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think though with the range of picks we have as well as available list spaces we can afford to trade up for one pick in the top 5 yet still maintain one pick in the teens and hopefully 2 in the twenties.

The other thing is with 5 picks inside 40 if we only have the list spots to use 4 then we pretty much have to upgrade into the top 10 or trade for a future pick.

I think they'll be a couple more off the list ...not finished yet.
We've a handful of good picks in an relatively even draft we should use them all.
We could land 3 'A' graders and a couple of B+'s if we're lucky.

Last edited:
Can always delist and rookie a Fort or Jarvis if need be. If someone else takes them, too bad so sad.

Jarvis no, Fort yes. Reckon Jarvis needs another year, whereas I just don't see it with Fort. If he gets re-rookied, that's fine. If someone else grabs him, no big loss either. Have a feeling Hendo might be done, given that we gave Taylor another year, we have too many defenders as it is and Henry, Kolo, Blics, Taylor, are all 191 or above.

I think there’s a bit of value in the middle of the draft this year. The likes of Ryan Byrnes, Zak Pretty, Darcy Chirgwin, Sam Philp, etc.

Chirgwin looks a typical Wells pick up. A 191cm mid, missed the champs coming off a broken leg. Played for Sandringham all year and averaged 25 disposals, 8 tackles, 5 clearances, 3 inside 50s. Not featuring in many phantoms at this stage. Could be a value get late.

Here’s a write up on him from earlier in the year:

You had me at broken leg :hearts:

The other thing is with 5 picks inside 40 if we only have the list spots to use 4 then we pretty much have to upgrade into the top 10 or trade for a future pick.

Or maybe delist and then redraft to the rookie list...always a slight risk someone else can draft though!

Edit- apologies for repeat of comment...should have kept reading after Pure’s.

I can completely understand people balking at the idea of trading Menegola but the fact that we don't play him where he plays his best footy & imo that's in the guts or as lead up forward I think that really effects his value to the team & makes him a guy we can cover like we did i the first half of the season.

If it was a rubbish pick & Sam for Steven & Acres i'd entertain it despite the fact there is genuine risk that you could end up worse off, same with a straight swap with Blakley.

Can always delist and rookie a Fort or Jarvis if need be. If someone else takes them, too bad so sad.

You can but it still involves a partialcontract payout so i doubt we would, then again we did with hayball.

I can completely understand people balking at the idea of trading Menegola but the fact that we don't play him where he plays his best footy & imo that's in the guts or as lead up forward I think that really effects his value to the team & makes him a guy we can cover like we did i the first half of the season.

If it was a rubbish pick & Sam for Steven & Acres i'd entertain it despite the fact there is genuine risk that you could end up worse off, same with a straight swap with Blakley.

I agree with that he probably gets more midfield time with kelly gone though which is why i want to keep him. Flipside is he is FA next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back