Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can completely understand people balking at the idea of trading Menegola but the fact that we don't play him where he plays his best footy & imo that's in the guts or as lead up forward I think that really effects his value to the team & makes him a guy we can cover like we did i the first half of the season.

If it was a rubbish pick & Sam for Steven & Acres i'd entertain it despite the fact there is genuine risk that you could end up worse off, same with a straight swap with Blakley.
I'm definitely not balking, I've always wanted to do Menegola for Steven.

Hell, I would have done Menegola and Zac Smith for Steven last year when they needed a ruck and Jack was a year younger.

Totally agree with this. A wise old hand at the draft once told me. Usually 1, maybe 2-3 standouts. Then there is 30 kids who can all play. Clubs, pick them all apart and apply a ranking but reality is, you will find it hard to seperate these 30 until they land at their clubs. Then it comes down to a little bit of luck. Buy more tickets.
Me too.

Looking at this years brownlow leaders, top 6 are mainly drafted between 10-25

Fyfe 20
Dangerfield 10
Cripps 13
Neale 58
Kelly 24
Grundy 18
Dusty 3
Bont 4
Macrae 6
Zorko zone selection GC traded to Bris for 34
Higgins 11
Treloar under age selection GWS

Last edited:
Totally agree with this. A wise old hand at the draft once told me. Usually 1, maybe 2-3 standouts. Then there is 30 kids who can all play. Clubs, pick them all apart and apply a ranking but reality is, you will find it hard to seperate these 30 until they land at their clubs. Then it comes down to a little bit of luck. Buy more tickets.
Couldn’t agree more. Esp in this draft. I’d love to bundle some of the 30s picks for something around 18-22. I’d do smith for a 4 pick upgrade to 20 to the GCS

Play the quantity game 4 picks btw say 14 & 22 will lead to just as much success as one top 10 pick and another in the 20s

I couldn’t agree any more about not paying overs to get an early pick in this draft. When you have Melb, Stk, Adel etc all willing to part with their pick it says everything you need to know.

Just amazes me how many people want to throw away 3 picks from the Top 25 just to get a solitary pick inside Top 10 or Top 5, which could be a bust and we are left twiddling fingers.
Play the averages, we have aging stars on the list, and an average list for Sub 21yo's. We could have a really good draft haul with 3-4 picks inside Top 35 for a change, you know get a few +B or -A graders, and maybe 1 elite player.
This

RE: Bonar and a few other names floated.

In modern football, I reckon if a player has not broken through at his first club, he is very long odds to make it.

Sure there are exceptions but so many more fails (look at Carlton's list for starters). Someone like Caddy I would not count, as he was a regular at Geelong and even Gold Coast.

I would set an incredibly high bar before considering a player from another club. I think Geelong is coming around to this view too. Menegola bit of an exception but he did his penance in WAFL and came back. Rohan and Lukey very much known commodities at top level.

I would much prefer to try a mature age State League recruit. Reckon more hits there.
This is the hidden secret behind the Giants success. They burn players the minute they feel they can’t play and replace them with late 1st rounders before they are worthless, bundle those and start again. It’s a luxury they have but nobody talks about how well they have done cutting the question marks for gold instead they concentrate on what the right hand has been gifted. They are pioneers in this space.

Sure they have lost some guns that were best 22 but they get full market value for those like all clubs.

Vic clubs like us hold on to their Tenace’s, Cockys, Lang’s, Thurows etc hoping for a turnaround that in many cases never comes.

Just amazes me how many people want to throw away 3 picks from the Top 25 just to get a solitary pick inside Top 10 or Top 5, which could be a bust and we are left twiddling fingers.
Play the averages, we have aging stars on the list, and an average list for Sub 21yo's. We could have a really good draft haul with 3-4 picks inside Top 35 for a change, you know get a few +B or -A graders, and maybe 1 elite player.
A lot really depends on the quality of the draft if you throw picks away or you keep them, its not the strongest draft this year so their maybe more busts then usual again it will come down to draft the right talent that will fit into the sytem of the club and may not be kids who we think could be left field...

I'd have Preuss over Stanley, but it looks like Stanley's gonna be the man so hopefully the club backs him in for the whole year.

Preuss torched Stanley in only his second game. Stanley has more strings to his bow, but Preuss is a better pure ruckman. I reckon the two of them would make a great combo.

I think it depends on position a bit. Mids there are stacks of spots at most clubs you should be able to get a spot if you are good enough. Rucks though often you need a trade from being a no2 somewhere to a no1 elsewhere to make it. Its kind of a case by case thing.

I think it also depends on the club, e.g. Lyons couldn’t get a look in at the Crows, didn’t get opportunities at the Suns, and this year was awesome for the Lions.

Lots of mid depth at GWS, and they’re not like Collingwood that just plays 22 mids each week. I can see why Bonar would have found it tough to get a foot in the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there’s a bit of value in the middle of the draft this year. The likes of Ryan Byrnes, Zak Pretty, Darcy Chirgwin, Sam Philp, etc.

Chirgwin looks a typical Wells pick up. A 191cm mid, missed the champs coming off a broken leg. Played for Sandringham all year and averaged 25 disposals, 8 tackles, 5 clearances, 3 inside 50s. Not featuring in many phantoms at this stage. Could be a value get late.

Here’s a write up on him from earlier in the year:
Are you sure you're not Knightmare.? ;) Chirgwin played in the last game of the u18 champs against WA, 1st time I seen him and even though the VC team was disappointing overall, he caught the eye @ 1 stage.

Jarvis no, Fort yes. Reckon Jarvis needs another year, whereas I just don't see it with Fort. If he gets re-rookied, that's fine. If someone else grabs him, no big loss either. Have a feeling Hendo might be done, given that we gave Taylor another year, we have too many defenders as it is and Henry, Kolo, Blics, Taylor, are all 191 or above.

I think Jarvis and Kennerley might surprise a few next year.

I'd have Preuss over Stanley, but it looks like Stanley's gonna be the man so hopefully the club backs him in for the whole year.
Preuss is very like Smith and I would argue he (Preuss) hasn't even shown as much yet. Isn't Zac on his way out this trade period.?

Couldn’t agree more. Esp in this draft. I’d love to bundle some of the 30s picks for something around 18-22. I’d do smith for a 4 pick upgrade to 20 to the GCS

Play the quantity game 4 picks btw say 14 & 22 will lead to just as much success as one top 10 pick and another in the 20s

I couldn’t agree any more about not paying overs to get an early pick in this draft. When you have Melb, Stk, Adel etc all willing to part with their pick it says everything you need to know.

To be fair adel have to bc they have like 10spots to fill bc everyone is leaving and stk had to as they only have like one pick inside 60. Doesnt mean they dont rate the top end of this draft.

To be fair adel have to bc they have like 10spots to fill bc everyone is leaving and stk had to as they only have like one pick inside 60. Doesnt mean they dont rate the top end of this draft.
If they thought a Dusty Martin was around they wouldn’t be splitting it no matter how many spots they have

I mean Dodo said today that two 1st rounders isn’t even enough to get him to the table given the quality of this draft

Re menegola

a lot relies on confidence with him imo
When he’s up, he is capable but I don’t see it enough from him & I believe whilst still handy he has regressed a bit

with freo’s strategy we wouldn’t be getting a heap back.
pending if they trade with the saints, best result would be pick 17 plus something (50ish) & menegola for 12

he lacks the polish & often gets caught to much - I obviously don’t rate him as highly as others here but everyone rates differently ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back