List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
all trade periods are unbelievably slow

EFA

this one just seems slower because we were supposed to be really active in it.

Been looking forward to this for weeks and it's a huge let-down so far

We needed mids, in a way it's saving us from getting overly sentimental. He looks great but if he only ends up very good rather than elite, it puts our rebuild back a couple of years chasing what isn't a pressing need. Get mids, then some mids and then some more until we find some elite ones.

Offer Ming to GC for picks 1 and 2 and a future second.
Take Bruce off the table and tell Bulldogs to stick it.
Offer a later first rounder and future 2nd to Freo like it or lump it.
Pay whatever for Howard and Jones.

Wouldn't be surprised if the AFL made sure that the deal was too good to refuse. They need GC to work and King would be a big part of it. You reckon they would only have a short amount of time to really get this club up and functioning otherwise all of the concessions just given will be for nothing.

Without question...smells of AFL/ Coniglio type interference.
And really, would anyone be surprised if it was?

We actually have seven players (probably 8 after trades) on our list whose best role is the third tall intercepting defender (rather than lock down defender).

Wilkie
Roberton
Battle
Carlisle
Austin
Joyce
Clavarino (at least at VFL level)
Howard (highly likely).

This is also probably the role that Ben King is most suited to for the next two season at least.

It looks like we will try to fashion Howard into a full back but we still have way too many intercepting defenders to fit into one side. I don’t thing bringing in B King would have improved our win/loss record at all next year.

So I don’t think it’s a bad thing for us that King has signed an extension at GC.

We need to start winning more games as of 2020, not 2022.

At least some of those are surely 2nd tall defender.
Joyce does ok at lockdown but needs to improve a bit, not give away free's.

Used to have a thread around here called

'lies, damned lies, and statistics'

It's relevant here imo.

I mean look at who's number 1 on disposal efficiency.
I assume you watched the saints play Fremantle this year, hill was working on his bounce pass I think.

Either that or the stats match up with the eye test, he has many attributes great disposal efficiency isn’t one of them imo.

We needed mids, in a way it's saving us from getting overly sentimental. He looks great but if he only ends up very good rather than elite, it puts our rebuild back a couple of years chasing what isn't a pressing need. Get mids, then some mids and then some more until we find some elite ones.
See this is what pisses me off.

If we take 12 or 18 to the draft I want to use that to get a quality mid.

It seems the last few years we've been content to just draft defenders.... we've got enough defenders, let's get mids until we strike gold.

I reckon the people that are saying "hill is rubbish anyway, don't bother getting him" are just resigned to the fact we probably won't get him and trying to make themselves feel better about it.

Was really wrapt when I saw the plane had wifi so I could keep up with all the trade updates. o_O
That could be a concern 😱

0XIU6h0.jpg

I've never seen opposition supporters get so wound up about the saints like this.
Acting as if our trading failures will bring them eternal enlightenment.
Well they've had fifteen or so years of that so I don't see why this year would be any better?

I reckon the people that are saying "hill is rubbish anyway, don't bother getting him" are just resigned to the fact we probably won't get him and trying to make themselves feel better about it.

Nope. He just isn't worth that price. He's a good player that is being priced at great player levels. No thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how we are all so reasonable about Bing, trying to pretend the entire board hasn't spent the last 12 months writing erotic fiction about him joining the saints.

We look like idiots, if we don't land Hill, even moreso.

We are going to need to have a very fruitful 2 and a half days. I haven't seen anything from Leathers that suggests he's the man to take us forward. I really hope I'm wrong about him.
Premature e-meltulation.

Were offering him 5x500k and I’m sure see him being a key back for 7-8 years. If we get 29 and Ryder along with it, that’s a pretty fair deal IMO. Values Howard at about 30 I’m pretty sure.

I don't buy into the "value" of down grades. Pick 12 should still get a pick of the best of the next crop. 28 or what ever it is is starting to get pretty speculative.

If we end up losing pick 6, Bruce and Steven and end up with Howard, Ryder, Jones and some ordinary picks in a weak draft, I'll be pretty disappointed to be honest.

Trade week is funny like that, fans and media get obsessed about who 'wins' in trades...when ultimately it's about improving your side and winning premierships.

Even if you pay slight overs for these guys, i doubt any Saints supporter is going to care if they all perform well next year and help you get into finals.
Richmond were ridiculed for including pick 6 to get Prestia...pretty sure they've had the last laugh, he's been a key part of their premierships.

Meanwhile even if a club like Freo are gloating about the haul they get for getting Hill, after losing him and Langdon they will likely be down near the bottom of the ladder next year and the kids they draft may or may not become good AFL footballers. I know which side of the deal i'd rather be on.

Good to have an unbiased, unemotional opinion on here. Thanks.

No Hill is a very good outside uncontested ball winner. Great player no doubt but is he the deadset number 1 need for the Saints to such an extent we should pay through the nose to get - definitely NO!!!!!!!

Why?

The whole thought process is because he barracked for the Saints and wants to play with his brother. But is this really valid?
- How many players swap clubs to play for their childhood team? Has there actually been one where that was the reason?
- How many players swap clubs to play with their brother? Hill did, but now is off again. Also Hill did not swap clubs to be with his brother. He wanted to get to WA though it may have helped him decide on Freo over WCE.

When really the best chance is him getting homesick. At present like any young buck he is probably enjoying the freedom of being away from mum and dad, especially as he is a cashed up young buck. Moreso after re-signing early.
If he was at another club I would be disappointed. Fact he as the Foldcoast means he will always be gettable. It’s easy to see through rose coloured glasses for Ben in sunny October...wait till Foldcoast havnt won a game in 2020 by rnd 15 and see how he is feeling then.

I'm guessing Saintos' wifi ran out :(

Well there you go, re-signed. Not surprised given what I'd posted last night. Just hope now that next years first isn't part of the Hill deal.

i'd trade next years if something comes back. something of significance. otherwise keep pick 12

and use pick 18 and next years first

If he was at another club I would be disappointed. Fact he as the Foldcoast means he will always be gettable. It’s easy to see through rose coloured glasses for Ben in sunny October...wait till Foldcoast havnt won a game in 2020 by rnd 15 and see how he is feeling then.
It's a job at the end of the day. If he can get 700-900k at GC when he might get 400k at the saints he's staying at GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back