Meet Up Meet Matthew Richardson at the club

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd really like to attend Rick. I have forwarded you an email. Thank you for organising it.

Thursday at 6 now to be more accommodating.

Haven’t received your email.

Here's my take: if Richo is doing it, he'll include Ben D, and they will give you as much info as they can to explain our situation. They'll also listen to you.

If you want to get the most of this opportunity, steer your answers to matters of guernsey, operations, branding, membership, gameday etc. Voice your concerns about the coach/coaches/players/trades but don't expect to get too much response from that. Focus on the things that they can provide answers for.

I take my hate off to Richo for his willingness to provide this opportunity. It would be a tense place to be right now.

Yeah Richo, Ben and co can't change the fundamentals - Koch, the Constitution, KT, Ken, the game plan but we can still try and drive club management to improve things.

Either take this as a glass half full opportunity or yell its a ******* glass half empty, type attitude and nothing much gets done and you give up.

So I've been inspired by Lockhart Road's post in the original Richo coming on Port Fan Radio thred, when we announced Broadie was being delisted, he hinted at the little things all adding up.

Dear Richo,
I just received an email from the Club with the following heading:
MEMBER FIRST | Thanks Johnson & Broadbent
A bit rude, mate, don’t you think? Especially for long-serving Broadie.
The little things, mate. All the little things. They add up and up and up, and reflect the Club’s attitude and mentality. Do you agree
?

Many of you know that I use #marginalgains in both a pejorative sense and a realistic positive sense. As I wrote on page 11 of the Making the top 4 and building for a flag thread a couple of years ago,
sometimes its because you know that the changes will only be marginal when people are hoping for big changes so I use it pejoratively, and other times because it only takes marginal gains to have a big effect eg, Dixon kicks for/a goal at Geelong after taking 29 seconds not 33, Sam Gray in April kicks the ball from 1 metre out thru the goals and not hit the post and the ball is then kicked out and Adelaide goal, Dixon kicks a goal in extra time not a point or that 55m set shot for goal he had at the southern end in the 2nd quarter travels 20cms further and isn't touched through for a goal. It was a beautiful straight kick that Vardy just touched etc

The concept of Marginal Gains comes from UK Postal Sky Cycling boss David Brailsford - now Sir David. He talked about Aggregation of Marginal Gains being a 1% improvement in everything you do. He figured if you improved every area related to cycling by just 1 percent, then those small gains add up to remarkable improvement. This is as good as any article that explains it -
http://jamesclear.com/marginal-gains

I know Sky Cycling has used PED's, our PED's would be the big changes I posted earlier, but the little things are important too and their aggregation of improvements has a decent positive benefit.

So I will go along and suggest that we have an IMPROVE 1,000 LITTLE THINGS campaign.

Use the website and social media channels and collate 1,000 little things that members and fans, from all around the globe, want changed, want improved, that Richo and his colleagues can do with a bit of effort, not cost much money and are relatively straight forward to implement.

Put up the campaign title prominently on the first screen of the website, so that maybe between PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB and the AFL Logo then News Football Membership etc dropdowns line, they put
IMPROVE 1,000 LITTLE THINGS - click here to add your suggestions.

And attach a name to send the suggestions to eg bennyd@pafc.com.au and not just a generic info@pafc.com.au email address.

Aim to collect 1,000 suggestions by 31st December 2019, put up a list of them early in the new year then in early November after the end of the club's financial year, on the website announce the achievements, for example;
- We have achieved delivering 819 of the suggested little improvements, click this link to see the list of those improvements.
- We have started working on 163 on the suggested improvements, but aren't finished yet, click this link to see the list of these improvements and an expected completion date.
- We haven't had time to start 11 suggested improvements but will be working on them in the coming year, click this link to see the list of those improvements and an expected completion date.
- We assessed 7 improvements and we have determined we will not proceed with these 7 suggestions, click this link to see the list and reasons why we haven't proceeded with these 7 suggestions.

Then the club announces to members, we will continue the IMPROVE 1,000 LITTLE THINGS in 2021, and ask for another 1,000 suggestions and then rinse and repeat for the next decade or two. The club will never run out of suggestions from supporters.

That way every member who wants to make a bit of an effort, can engage with the club, and the club can report back on their progress and it helps supporters to keep the club in line to achieve the suggestions.

For me a great example of this would be bomberclifford's suggestion a few weeks back of how to use the three social media channels of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram in different ways, to not just repeat sending the same memes across all three channels, but have a clear strategy that achieves three different goals not this current mish mash approach.

Now the club would see these three suggestions, see its a good idea and could implement them without the staff thinking, s**t these members have a better idea than I do, they will take my job.

Make the process non threatening to the staff. That's why we don't have a fully comprehensive volunteers program across all sectors of the club, because staff are concerned they will get shown up and lose their job.

The committees the club sets up aren't as inclusive and from what I hear, some of them whilst set up with good intentions, aren't that well run with meetings being cancelled regularly, and give the appearance of being token efforts. The overwhelming majority of the couple of dozen committees the club has aren't run that way, but none of them should be.

For me my 2 suggested little improvements would be 1) to get the loudmouth on the microphone at 1/4 time and 3/4 time at our home games to shut up, talk all he wants during half time break, but we don't need to be yelled at in the 2 short breaks, and 2) to fix up our website re our history and club info pages, ie complete them and make sure they are correct and up to date say for the admin staff, board members etc

Neither of these 2 suggestions take a lot of work, neither require any real monies to be spent on them and nobodies job is in jeopardy, not even loud mouth Jarrod as he still does stuff before the game, at 1/2 time and post game where needed.

AS LR said - All the little things - they add up and up and up. and reflect the Club's attitude and mentality.

Last edited:
Great post RussellEbertHandball and exactly what we can do. I love showing examples, it's easy to sit here and vent, but making time and effort to show genuine concern will make an impressionable impact.

Thursday at 6 now to be more accommodating.
I'm travelling up to Sydney on Thursday but the last time I was in the Allan Scott Boardroom (no s**t) was the Monday after KT and Koch agreed to extend Hinkley's contract at the emergency weekend meeting at Chez Hinkley.

You can thank me later for not going back there and risking that again.

Great initiative, Rick, thanks for organising. The Club can go a long way just by listening, even if we know there isn't much that can be done about what we see as the major issues.

Love REH's suggestion. Gets everyone working together and focussed on what we can change.

I cant make it due to work but I would be happy to send that crew with my name and membership numbers and say that they are my proxies.

My membership satisfaction is tied to all of the points that they will raise.

Hopefully at least that will help the club see that it is more than just a few disgruntled voices.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Question without notice:

Will KI Eggs be producing a “prison bars” 150th anniversary carton of free range eggs for those of us with a strange sense of humour?

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Does the Club know how badly they are ******* up? Richardson speaks incessantly about supporter engagement. The supporters have never been so disengaged. Almost all of it is tied to keeping Hinkley on.

Forgetting the s**t show that was before it, just in 2019 the following stuff has occurred.
  1. Co Captains. Entirely endorsed by Hinkley. Complete disaster on and off the field.
  2. ongoing refusal to play a key forward/structured forward line, particularly in the absence of Dixon. Key components of home losses to Adelaide, Richmond and GWS. Every supporter could see it.....just not Coke Can Kenny
  3. Missing finals again, after being well in the running late in season. Disastrous and embarrassing loss an out of finals contention North. Again lack of height, this time in the back line an issue.
  4. Seemingly rolling over on the Prison Bar Guernsey issue. Admin seem ambivalent to it despite overwhelming support of fan base.
  5. Launch of new branding at a Brewery. You can't get more Port than that. Lukewarm response from fans. Event capped at 3,000, would have been packed only a couple of years ago. Barely half the capacity of 3,000 attend.
  6. New Logo egged at club. (although not known to be dealt by a Port supporter, the fact that sentiment is widely held by the faithful is telling).
  7. Disastrous trade period where 3 talls are traded out. Dougal Howard's being the most contentious and baffling.
  8. afl.com.au has Port fans rating their clubs effort in the trade period the worst in the league.
  9. Don't know the numbers but the drop off in auto renewals, members and down grades would be substantial. Richo would be well aware of these.
  10. I'm sure there's plenty of others.
Everything is compounding. Sacking Hinkley is the only remedy for many of these ills. Would we be transformed over night? No. But it would give the supporters hope that there's something to look forward to in the future. At the moment there isn't. And if you can't sell hope a football club, you're shot. Richo is actually in charge of trying to sell a s**t sandwich. I look forward to hearing some of the answers of this meeting, but I hold precisely zero hope that it will achieve anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does the Club know how badly they are ******* up? Richardson speaks incessantly about supporter engagement. The supporters have never been so disengaged. Almost all of it is tied to keeping Hinkley on.

Forgetting the s**t show that was before it, just in 2019 the following stuff has occurred.
  1. Co Captains. Entirely endorsed by Hinkley. Complete disaster on and off the field.
  2. ongoing refusal to play a key forward/structured forward line, particularly in the absence of Dixon. Key components of home losses to Adelaide, Richmond and GWS. Every supporter could see it.....just not Coke Can Kenny
  3. Missing finals again, after being well in the running late in season. Disastrous and embarrassing loss an out of finals contention North. Again lack of height, this time in the back line an issue.
  4. Seemingly rolling over on the Prison Bar Guernsey issue. Admin seem ambivalent to it despite overwhelming support of fan base.
  5. Launch of new branding at a Brewery. You can't get more Port than that. Lukewarm response from fans. Event capped at 3,000, would have been packed only a couple of years ago. Barely half the capacity of 3,000 attend.
  6. New Logo egged at club. (although not known to be dealt by a Port supporter, the fact that sentiment is widely held by the faithful is telling).
  7. Disastrous trade period where 3 talls are traded out. Dougal Howard's being the most contentious and baffling.
  8. afl.com.au has Port fans rating their clubs effort in the trade period the worst in the league.
  9. Don't know the numbers but the drop off in auto renewals, members and down grades would be substantial. Richo would be well aware of these.
  10. I'm sure there's plenty of others.
Everything is compounding. Sacking Hinkley is the only remedy for many of these ills. Would we be transformed over night? No. But it would give the supporters hope that there's something to look forward to in the future. At the moment there isn't. And if you can't sell hope a football club, you're shot. Richo is actually in charge of trying to sell a s**t sandwich. I look forward to hearing some of the answers of this meeting, but I hold precisely zero hope that it will achieve anything.

I'll add that in terms of supporter engagement, direction is key. If supporters feel the club is moving in a positive direction, engagement will rise, irrespective of ladder position. If supporters feel the club is stagnant and stale, like we do now, engagement will fall. Hinkley's flagrant disregard for club tradition with co-captains has made his position untenable. Sacking him instantly injects positively.

I'll add that in terms of supporter engagement, direction is key. If supporters feel the club is moving in a positive direction, engagement will rise, irrespective of ladder position. If supporters feel the club is stagnant and stale, like we do now, engagement will fall. Hinkley's flagrant disregard for club tradition with co-captains has made his position untenable. Sacking him instantly injects positively.
Concur.

The Club spokesmen / spokeswomen must inject confidence into their audience. It can’t happen while said voices keep coming only from inside the goldfish bowl. It’s psychological detachment that has much to do, as REH says, with people employed by the Club fearing the loss of their jobs to those currently outside the goldfish bowl and thus able to see the Club, see into the Club, from their vantage point.

LOL what an absolute waste of time

Richo and Benny Dee are great servants to the club, but they have no real power for change.

All thats wrong with our once great club stem from the top. Richo can make as many suggestions as he likes, but KT and/or the board can just shut it down with a little flourish of Kochie's wand.

Sure they can comment on "member engagement" and "social media" and "game day experience" which is a small part of the issue. But they can't help with the real issues. The club knows the members stance on the coach, the guernsey etc... and chose to ignore it.

The guernsey situation will never change while Kochie is in charge.
The coach issue will fix itself at the end of next year.
The list management problems... well that's an interesting one. It KT leaves at the end of 2020 as rumoured then his replacement might have the balls to replace Cripps.

This a different Richo to the one I'm thinking of?

Kudos to FishingRick04 for organising this and to Matthew and Ben for making themselves available but despite those guys' best intentions I don't see the club taking the feedback from this meeting onboard any more than all the feedback they have received via numerous member surveys and directly via email.

Even the feedback KT received face to face about co-captains at the Inside Port Adelaide Live event in February was completely ignored.

I very much doubt any feedback deemed negative by the club's administration will reach the true decision makers.

Apologies in advance for the username, it no longer reflects me but am too apathetic to change.....

I am more lurker than poster but I think RussellEbertHandball has nailed it enough for me to get off the couch and attend. Rick, I have sent an email.

Walking away is not an option for me and I personally can't/won't deal with another year of wailing and gnashing of teeth, while accepting that the root cause of that will still be there (Ken). So I can either get very bitter and yell at the sky like some formerly good posters on here (which is understandable but not helpful either to my own well being or the long term future of he club), or try to do something about it in a small way. From little things big things grow....

There are enough small positive things to get me through the year watching with some interest …. just;
1. Continued improvement of last years draftees
2. Can Houston and DBJ back it up and emerge as leaders this year
3. SPP and Marshalls response to their challenges of the past few years
4. The new crop of draftees (hopefully)
5. Second year of Monty/Schofield with maybe increasing influence (maybe a gameplan?)
6. The hope that the team will start to learn from past mistakes (its a new year)

At the end of the day though it really comes down to my trust in the direction of the club. I need the club to meet me partway and start to show that respect for members is more than lip service. Co Captaincy, the little battling club from Alberton rhetoric etc must be addressed if the club is serious about starting to repair its relationship with members.

I have attended the past two preseason members conventions and with the exception of the co-captains discussion have walked away excited by the coaching direction. Unfortunately it bore no relation to what happened in the season. Fool me once, fool me twice...... this is no longer an engagement solution I think.

Sometimes its about publiclybuilding the narrative backed up by small tangible success markers, to develop the environment and momentum for change. That would require both sides to commit, and I feel I can't sit on the sidelines here.

Sack Hinkley and I renew 3 memberships. Simple as that.

It feels like we are treading water.
Can’t even enjoy the prospect of an AFLW team in the near future.
Club needs to give us some glimmer of hope about PAFC.
Right now I feel absolutely none.
Richo, we need hope and demonstration of change.
It feels like our opportunities keep slipping away.

It feels like we are treading water.
Can’t even enjoy the prospect of an AFLW team in the near future.
Club needs to give us some glimmer of hope about PAFC.
Right now I feel absolutely none.
Richo, we need hope and demonstration of change.
It feels like our opportunities keep slipping away.
You'd be happy with our men's team being mediocre and going nowhere if there was the prospect of getting an AFLW team?

whynotboth.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back