Who won this trade?

• Essendon

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Carlton

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Then handing over pick 7 shouldn't be an issue
I'd like to see the deal done swiftly and would almost be happy to just get it done.

But seriously, it's overs considering he's out of contract. You pay overs for Free Agents and contracted players, not uncontracted.

We will likely find a mid-1st somewhere and cough that up. If that's rejected and you force us to cough up pick 7 then hats off to you, but time will be precious for Dodo and his flurry of players and picks coming in and out, so he should probably look to get a fair deal and not be so concerned about winning.

He will be under immense pressure to be in a good position at the end of trade period, and ******* around at the table would be a waste of time. From all reports Austin is pretty fair to deal with.

Mid first is on the money IMO.

#7 a tad high but i wont be sooking if we part with it especially in this seasons draft.
To be fair, pick 7 will mean more to us than Carlton (considering the state of each list), especially in this draft. Even if it is overs, I don't think Carlton will lose much sleep over it.

It's time for some established players for Carlton.

Essendon offered the exact same deal but he chose Carlton. Why??

Carlton probably offered slightly
More cash and has a better
List profile then us going forward.

Very short sighted way of looking at it.

A deeper look into list age profiles, stats like quarters won and just the fact good players are nominating Carlton while good players are leaving Essendon paints a picture of where each club look to be heading at this stage.

Perhaps I think Carlton is where Essendon was when they got Saad,Stringer,Smith,Shiel

3 less prime years then he had when he was last traded and id beg to differ similar stats. maybe more rounded as a player except he doesn't rebound as much which is a huge negative imo.

Saad's "rebound" was actually better than ever in 2020.

He averaged more disposals, more effective disposals, more kicks, a higher kick-to-handball ratio, more metres gained, more metres gained per disposal, more inside 50s than he has in any other season this year, and just fell short of his career-high rebound 50 average too (needed 5 more in total to have a higher average than 2019).

1601967763421.png

It might not look as exciting, but kicking the ball is more efficient and effective than a running bounce.

Last edited:
Carlton probably offered slightly
More cash and has a better
List profile then us going forward.
Both sides won’t compete for a flag in the time he has left. Can fully see why he would leave us but thought he might have chased some success before he finishes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, pick 7 will mean more to us than Carlton (considering the state of each list), especially in this draft. Even if it is overs, I don't think Carlton will lose much sleep over it.

It's time for some established players for Carlton.
I would tend to agree more if Dow and OBrien were not looking like high draft busts. :(

Seri
If we trade #7 for him we do and i cannot speculate but IMO it is slightly to high.

Put it in the context of......

IF Saad was in the national draft and on the board with all the kids etc available at #7 i still think we take him anyway!

It is what it is and lots of water to flow under the bridge regarding deals etc.
Serious Question, would Saad be in your top 10 players?
Cripps, Walsh, Curnow (whenfit) Williams now, Mckay, Doucherty, Weitering,
Are you concerned at all about future salary cap issues? paying 2 x half back flankers 1.4-1.5m? Cripps will get 1m next year? Walsh alot and your 2 keys alot also?
I think carlton are doing the right thing, hes in the good age bracket, you may have to pay overs but thats the market i suppose, we want more, Carlton dont want to pay too much which is fair enough.

I don’t care? Your offering him huge money, that shows what he’s worth.
We offered Martin more than what we've offered Saad....and got him for free (trade/draft wise). I know circumstances are different here...but its proves that money doesn't necessarily mean higher draft pick...means nothing really.

so now carlton and essendon have to deal a trade. this isnt going to go well.

Carlton are going to offer a third round pick, claiming that a player theyre willing to offer $650k a year for 5 years isnt really worth that much.

The Dodo is going to demand 2 top 10 picks, claiming that second round picks are worthless to them because they 'arent going to use them'.

Saad is out of contract, but neither team can threaten the PSD as both teams are mid table. Essendon comes before carlton so carlton cant be cheapskates to take him in the psd *cough*martin*cough*, and north melbourne had an interest and will have the first pick of victorian teams.

its popcorn time boys!

We offered Martin more than what we've offered Saad....and got him for free (trade/draft wise). I know circumstances are different here...but its proves that money doesn't necessarily mean higher draft pick...means nothing really.

Yes it does.....that’s entirely the reason why FA compensation is built around the contract offer of the other club...

Can we get serious or what?

thats only because you were deliberately stingy because you knew you could take him in the psd. cant do that this time, youll have to actually deal with a club on reasonable terms this time.

Back