List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
reports say Seb toured the Essendon facility ... thats not to say he was impressed by it .... Ryder also toured essendon and that confirmed to him St Kilda was the best option ... just going to visit essendon doesnt mean anything at all

Ok I’ll put it this way..

I’m extremely bullish on Bytel, and I’d love nothing more than for him to announce himself next year and make that mid spot his. But in all reality, how many 3rd year players (especially ones who missed an entire year due to a back injury) have come in and performed at an elite level or even a level equal to Seb. The truth is not many. Bont, Cripps, Rowell, Bailey Smith and possibly Wines are probably the only ones I can really think of who have become core midfield players in their first 3 years.

I’d rather play Ross round 1 and tell Bytel to demand that spot and push him out.

People criminally underrate Sebs value to the team, both on and off field. There’s a reason he’s been Vice Captain for the past 3 years?

And people talking about well we lost Steven, Acres, Newnes and Bruce last year. So we’ll be fine

Steven played what, 3 games? and was unfit both physically and mentally. Acres was in and out of the team, Newnes was a Richo fav and well we all saw how good Bruce was this year.

seb is a 2 time BnF and a good leader to the younger crop of mids coming through.
I think people drastically over rate what losing Seb would do to us and can only cling to extremism to defend their positions.

If he's out of the team, then it's also compensated by whoever gets the open spot, and whatever he may have been in the past, it doesn't change the FACT that he's been well and truly knocked off his perch by the likes of Steele, Jones and Marshall.

If we land Crouch then he drops another rung, and if Hunter continues his trajectory then he drops another rung, and so on.

Because he does have some ability, and because he now sits at 4-5-6 in the midfielders pecking order, he, is, TRADEBAIT!!!

If Dunstan is being thrown into the Crouch deal like Acres was for Hill I think it undervalues the man and his contribution to this club. If he is to go I hope its a trade just for him giving him an actual value for his service.
People keep thinking Dunstan is trash.
Ahmf.gif

reports say Seb toured the Essendon facility ... thats not to say he was impressed by it .... Ryder also toured essendon and that confirmed to him St Kilda was the best option ... just going to visit essendon doesnt mean anything at all
It means he doesn't feel secure at StKilda for one reason or another..

That's a pretty irrelevant scenario, losing our 2nd, 3rd and 4th best midfielders, and our top junior also can't perform for some unknown reason.

What you do in these cases is suck it up and put it down to development and opportunities for kids.
You don't structure a list for these nuclear type occasions, especially while you're still building it.
It's not really irrelevant considering Hanners, Jones and Crouch all missed games this year with hamstrings. It is a realistic possibility.

Luke Dunstan getting some mad disrespect here, let's not forget that he was in the brownlow votes for 100% of his appearances this year. Jack Steele only managed to poll in about 55% of his appearances.

Seb Ross also scored a vote in the last H&A match and was probably our best finals performer.

Yet we have people talking about our most consistent player and our most in-form player as if they are highly limited depth players that we have moved past.

Pull your head in you lot.
Confirmed. Ratts robbed Dunstan of the brownlow.

If it’s anything like our previous BF winner its a pick in the 50s and paying part of his wage 😀

In fairness, I think we kinda made out like bandits there, on balance, based on the season return for $FORMER_B&F ... just removing the uncertainty and wondering from our week-to-week was an improvement - players knew they weren't going to be dropped because he showed up and felt right to play.

Hard to see him ever being in prime form again, and even if he did get close, you can see the cracks in the club surrounding him, so it will likely go to waste.

It means he doesn't feel secure at StKilda for one reason or another..
Don’t read too much into it. Lots of people go on tours after a hard year, simply to relax 😎

d3gwwd3.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You named two players there with 4 games between them and a potential trade for a player who is a small forward with potential in the midfield.

We are trying to win a flag here for fu**s sake guys, you cannot do that relying on that kind of depth.

Yep, as always we overrate our own kids. Based on what he showed this year, Byrnes is about 3 years from playing regularly. Bytel maybe 2 years away. (Unless they take a big leap as kids sometimes do.) If we're relying on them then it's another development year.

This is all based on a rumour Gary Lyon heard. I honestly am erring on the side of didnt actually happen.

If the dopers want Seb they’re gonna have to pony up a good player or a first rounder, is a best 22 mid and contracted.

Reading the article with Gags I’m all in on whatever they decide.
No moves we are making are to save face in the media like Essendon. Everything is to make us better and I have full faith in any moves we make this year.

Unless it’s moving on Duncan Roberton, that guy could go any level for us

Yep, as always we overrate our own kids. Based on what he showed this year, Byrnes is about 3 years from playing regularly. Bytel maybe 2 years away. (Unless they take a big leap as kids sometimes do.) If we're relying on them then it's another development year.

The perfect time to bring young players into a side is when there is mature, senior players around them.

I wonder if the same people who think Bytel and Byrnes are 3 seasons away from being senior players are the same who bemoan Ross Lyon for not playing the kids.

That's a pretty irrelevant scenario, losing our 2nd, 3rd and 4th best midfielders, and our top junior also can't perform for some unknown reason.

What you do in these cases is suck it up and put it down to development and opportunities for kids.
You don't structure a list for these nuclear type occasions, especially while you're still building it.
Completely relevant scenario. It happened this year! Hanners went down, Gresh went down, Ross and Jones both missed a few games. If Steele had of gone down for a little bit as well we would’ve been ****ed.

And a junior mid not performing for some unknown reason is an absolutely ridiculous statement.
It’s not unkown at all. Bytel’s played 3 games. 1 very good one on debut and 2 meh games, where he showed some glimpses. There’s a possibility he improves again, but there’s also a strong possibility he has inconsistent patches of form. Even Clark had some poor games this year and he’d already played 30 games going into this season.

yes we would have to suck it up. But that also means it’s an extra year we have to wait for a potential Grand Final appearance because we overestimated our ability to cover for a lack of midfield depth.
Then as supporters, we complain because we underperformed on expectations from the previous year. There’s no certainties in AFL and I think saints supporters of all people should be well aware of that.

Last year we basically replaced Jones with Stuv and Hill for Newnes.

If we’re losing Ross and Dunstan tHis year than we need to bring another player mid in besides Crouch. Go again at Caldwell If we have to and bank on the development of he or Bytel to take that next step or find another diamond in the rough who can do similar to what Jones did this year.

And Crouch has a history of injury and missing games. I just don’t think we can rely on Crouch to play every game next year, because he’s only played every game in 1 season in his career. He misses at least a few games every year. Ross doesn’t. That’s the reality.

He doesn't? How many games did he play in this 17 game season? I have a very vivid memory of him being unavailable due to a calf issue !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back