List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Brisbane have restructured Danihers contract knowing exactly what it would take to get to band one.

They took one to 2 years off the contract, upped the amount per year and put a trigger on the end worth less than the main contract.

Basically front loading the contract and avoiding a trade.

833k a year is a lot though if true. We'd want to be paying Crouch about 400k after 3 years.

Yeah, with bids it's pretty hard to know what any pick ends up being worth. It's quite possible the bids could eat up 20+ picks, which makes our current pick 63 more like 43.
I examined that a while back, and historically it's only 4th round picks that elevate, the later the pick the greater the benefit.

Interestingly IIRC, last year with FS/NGA selections consuming almost the same number of picks as they added prior to his selection, Ryan Byrnes pick started at 51 and ended up at 52.

Leo Connelly's pick came in something like 9 or more places though.

Anyway, to gain benefit you want to be in the back of the 4th round at the start of the draft.
Pundits are suggesting that because of list reductions there is unlikely to be more than 50 taken in the main draft, meaning the 4th round simply won't exist this year, and next year if numbers are further culled.

IMO we take the Crows future 2nd, and 1st round rookie pick, for Dunny and our 2nd round rookie pick.

Last edited:
Worth noting that all those picks except 1 have changed after yesterday's FA compensation:

8 -> 9
20 -> 22
29 -> 32
44 -> 49
50 -> 55
58 -> 63
60 -> 65
74 -> 79

So your proposed trade would now be:

Dunstan + 63 for pick 32

That values Dunstan at about pick 38, which seems a bit low.
But is also on a decent contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Brisbane have restructured Danihers contract knowing exactly what it would take to get to band one.

They took one to 2 years off the contract, upped the amount per year and put a trigger on the end worth less than the main contract.

Basically front loading the contract and avoiding a trade.

833k a year is a lot though if true. We'd want to be paying Crouch about 400k after 3 years.
I thought originally that the contract length was important too... as in it would need to be 5+ years AND big money to trigger band one.

Nek minnit someone is going to tell me the AFL are making it up as the go.

I examined that a while back, and historically it's only 4th round picks that elevate, the later the pick the greater the benefit.

Interestingly IIRC, last year with FS/NGA selections consuming almost the same number of picks as they added prior to his selection, Ryan Byrnes pick started at 51 and ended up at 52.

Leo Connelly's pick came in something like 9 or more places.

Anyway, to gain benefit you want to be in the back of the 4th round at the start of the draft.
Pundits are suggesting that because of list reductions there is unlikely to be more than 50 taken in the main draft, meaning the 4th round simply won't exist this year, and next year if numbers are further culled.

IMO we take the Crows future 2nd, and 1st round rookie pick, for Dunny and our 2nd round rookie pick.
Can’t trade rookie picks though. I agree. Hang on to a 4th

I know it’s a joke but I’m struggling to understand the lack of love for Robbo.

We had a big win recruiting a local boy coming home from Fremantle, he played great footy for us until his untimely illness. He’s done everything he can to get himself back, in fact more than most would have done and all with the clubs encouragement.

Yet here we are after the strangest season I can remember he’s somehow become a joke to be thrown away like yesterday’s chip wrapper. Let’s hope he has a big preseason and returns to something like his best football which would be very handy, if not he sees out the contract we were fist pumping he signed.

At the very least he’d be a great mentor at sandy and an example of how a good club looks after it’s own.
Named as an emergency on a number of occasions suggests that health wise he's considered OK to play. If that's the case then I wouldn't discard him.

I thought originally that the contract length was important too... as in it would need to be 5+ years AND big money to trigger band one.

Nah, contract length isn't near as important as money per year

Daniher only signed for 3 with triggers.

It apparently acts as a tie breaker if it's borderline.

Mayne one of their 2nds this year gets Higgins done?
We'll easily be able to get some 2nd round picks from other trades.
IMO there will be around 9x 2nd round picks available for junk points bundles.
If we get anything for guys like Sav and Robbo we'll have the picks to get that done.

Last edited:
True, if we can ‘Structure up’ without paying more than we wanted then I would be asking for a decent pick for a Dunstan type... they already have a massive draft hand - 1, 8, 20, 29, 44, 50, 60, 74

Dunstan & 58 for pick 29 gets it done.
Pick 20 for me. Pick 29 will end up being closer to 40 after all these FA compos and NGA picks.

Since when have the AFL ever processed trade requests on a weekend? I recall weekends being the low point of trade week, because nothing can get done
St Kilda; can lodge any day!

This two year old article provides an accurate explanation of the FA formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back