Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we did both, we picked best available once Sydney matched we went to the next on our draft board which just happens to also fill a need

You're saying pick best available but then you're saying draft based on perceived trade value so which is it?
Obviously the best available player at any draft position would also likely have the highest perceived trade value unless we see something other clubs's don't.

We thought he was the best player in the draft, as did a handful of other clubs.

We would be beside ourselves that he fell to us.
I trust Graham Wright.

I'm not going to judge the kid until he's had a few years to fill out but object to spending pick 4 on a defender on principle when their trade value is consistently lower than midfielders & forwards. I back the draft strategy to recruit the best available player rather than recruit for need which seems like what we did here.
Not so sure about that go have a read on the AFL site where they asked a dozen recruiting guys “Who would you pick at number 1” apart from JUH.

4 of then said they would go Denver as their number 1 and two of them were line ball with him and Holland’s, but both said it was a risk with Holland’s knee.

Some of the recruiting staff of other clubs describe Denver as “A gun” and “A Jet” “Have been tracking him since under 16s and he keeps getting better”

Make no mistake the kid is highly rated and we have nabbed a ripper.

So if around half a dozen recruiting guys from other clubs had him as their number 1, then I think we had to pick the kid because he was Best Available.

Last edited:
If he stopped Logan's Run then I'd be calling him 'The Sandman'.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did he actually play on McDonald that whole game? I remember some comments that he didn't, or that him beating McDonald wasn't a fair comment for some reason.

Either way, happy we have him

I was at that game.
To me it felt like Denver stopped the Perth Footy club in the second half.

We did select a player before him.
Highest rated non academy player would probably be more accurate give we tried to nab Campbell

Welcome Denver. Defense wins Premierships and we are certainly building a strong one.

Just need to sort out the middle (next year is stacked) and up front.
I think it is worth pointing out how dominant the Tigers have been in the air down back over the past few years. Same with the Eagles in the premiership season.

In the modern game scoring from turnovers is a huge part of winning, if we can force turnovers in our back half it will open so many avenues to scoring.

We now have Sicily (when fit), DGB and Scrimshaw as gun intercepting defenders. All we need is for our mids to pressure the ball coming in to the back half so it is slow/high and we will start picking them off like the better sides do.

Looking forward to seeing how he develops, I see some traits in him that could potentially see him play all over the ground.

Does anyone know how he tested in kicking at the combine? Seems an ok kick but not very daring in that area.

I'm not going to judge the kid until he's had a few years to fill out but object to spending pick 4 on a defender on principle when their trade value is consistently lower than midfielders & forwards. I back the draft strategy to recruit the best available player rather than recruit for need which seems like what we did here.
Who would you have gone with at pick 6, Hollands or someone else? I was hoping we'd get Hollands' after the Campbell bid but DGB is a great pick up.

If we picked Reid with our choice (assuming DGB was off the table with Phillips and Hollands available) then I'd agree that we drafted for need over talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bosky, would you have taken Schache ahead of Weitering in 2015?

Clunk, clunk, clunk!

No double-grabs.....all great grabs.

I like it.

Welcome Denver.

Been a while since we've had a hyphenated player. Last must have been Simon Minton-Connell.

We've had lots of them, a few last year according to BF Game Day reports
There was Tim O-F******-Brien
Ben F******-Stratton
Chip F******-Frawley

How good is this kid. Awesome interview! Just know he will be professional and get best out of himself.
Taking Clarko out for breaky haha what a ripper.
His Instagram tells the story of a kid who is well grounded too.

lots of pics with his girl, traveling and adventuring in his 4WD.

Some glowing thoughts about DGB by other AFL clubs recruiting guys when asked “Who would you take with pick 1” excluding JUH.

Club one: "I'd be taking Logan McDonald. His year has been undeniable. I really like Riley as well, and he will be good, but I'm still not sure whether he'll be a key forward or a ruck, whereas I know what Logan is. He had a fantastic season."

Club two: "It would be a toss of the coin for me between Denver Grainger-Barras and Riley Thilthorpe, but I actually think I'd go with Grainger-Barras. I really like what he can do. I wouldn't call it reckless abandon, but he plays with such power and if he can mark it, he'll mark it, and he can really shut down good players. I liked him going back to under-16s level and his projection has continued since then."

Club three: "It's very hard to find players like Riley Thilthorpe. He's big, competitive, athletic and a genuine footballer. He'd be the one for me."

Club four: "I would go with McDonald. His performances at senior level are too hard to ignore. He's athletic and consistent and his character is really strong, as it is for a lot of the boys at the top, but his is really sound. There weren't too many weaknesses with him, but in saying that it is a really difficult call."

Club five: "It's Denver Grainger-Barras for us. Just his power and marking is so rare."

Club six: "Logan McDonald's season at senior level and his work ethic and athletic profile has him ahead. I would have had Elijah Hollands ahead at this time of last year but his knee injury and picking someone off an ACL at No.1 would be a big call."

Club seven: "I'd take McDonald. He's a better player. Aesthetically he doesn't look good as Riley Thilthorpe but he's tough and smart and runs like the wind. I think he's got a real steel to him."

Club eight: "Thilthorpe is it for us. His talent puts him ahead and the way the game is going, with his running ability and dual role he really fits into the way it's played."

Club nine: "Can I have two? I'd have Elijah Hollands or Denver Grainger-Barras just ahead of Logan McDonald. Elijah can really influence games and he's got that something special, so it'd be him."

Club ten: "I'd be inclined to take Denver, I reckon if Elijah didn't do his knee he would be just ahead. I typically lean to the key forwards ahead of the key defenders, as they're harder to find, but Grainger-Barras is very, very good."

Club eleven: "Thilthorpe would be ahead for me, bearing in mind his medical was all good. It's so rare to find players who can do what he does."

Club twelve: "I probably wouldn't take Logan or Riley, and it would be out of Denver and Elijah. It's so hard to say how it would have gone because they didn't play. Denver is rock-solid and Elijah is a star, but I'd probably end up going with Denver. He's a jet."

-----------------------------

Last edited:
How does it?
Hartley and Hartigan are both primarily KPDS albiet B/C graders that cost us nothing DGB has the potential to be a premier defender in the league for many years . They need stop gap mature bodies to fill the gap while the backline that will be in our next premiership tilt is developed. Day DGB Greaves Scrimshaw ( and hopefully Kosi) led by the likes of Impey and Hardwick and possibly Frost that’s the type of back 6 that will win us our next flag .

Had an uneasy feeling about the tall forwards of this draft so pretty happy we ended up with DGB.
The more time passes the more okay I am about not getting Hollands.
With gritted teeth I say correct call Wrighty and co.
Seems to be Moving in with TOB hopefully he can show Timmy a few things 😉

That’s an outstanding interview.

Didn’t think I could be more excited about grabbing him, but bloody hell, he sounds like an absolutely ripping human being.

Had an uneasy feeling about the tall forwards of this draft so pretty happy we ended up with DGB.
The more time passes the more okay I am about not getting Hollands.
With gritted teeth I say correct call Wrighty and co.
Seems to be Moving in with TOB hopefully he can show Timmy a few things 😉

Just imagine if TOB suddenly developed AFL-standard marking prowess. :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back