Recommitted Josh Battle [contracted and staying at St Kilda]

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
If you believe this SEN report (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/25/report-versatile-saint-mentioned-in-trade-discussions/) then you'd believe that Josh Battle might be unwanted by St Kilda. Is this the feeling of Saints' fans, or is this just pure media speculation, throwing his name out? If he is on the outer, why is this - he seems like a very useful player?

If he were to seek a move, where would posters think he fits, and what would be his cost in trade terms?

St Kilda swingman Josh Battle could be gettable in the upcoming trade period, according to a report. AFL Media’s Mitch Cleary is reporting that his name has been raised in recent trade discussions. His management has also put the feelers out, seeing if there is any interest out there in his client.

Battle is currently contracted with the Saints until the end of 2022. He was a regular in the St Kilda side across the first half of the season, before two stints as the substitute and a season-ending foot injury followed. Battle has yet to settle into one position at the Saints and has been used in a variety of roles forward, back and between the arcs. The 22-year-old has played 54 career games since being taken with pick 39 in the 2016 National Draft.

Agree that he was best as a defender was also solid on the wing where we perhaps lack depth. He was drafted as a forward and thats where I believe he wants to play though. He might be gettable if a side could offer him gametime up forward as the Saints have plenty of tall forwards.

I think he'd be a good fit for plenty of clubs, either as a KPD or KPF. He's been mismanaged and thrown around without being given the chance to settle in one position. Particularly the last two years, he's been wasted on a wing with occasional bursts as a forward or defender. It's clear that he's not a winger. Has had a couple of good games there but far more often he is pretty quiet. I think he's got the potential to be a good forward or back. Good size, athletic, lovely kick and a good mark.

Second/third KPF and KPD are areas we are pretty well stocked for with the likes of Highmore and Sharman coming from nowhere this year. I'd be happy to keep him, but if we got a good offer I could see the club considering it. Can certainly see why he would want to go elsewhere and get an extended run at in one position.

If we lose Josh Battle I will melt so hard.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to leave, I just wish we'd played him more consistently and not just thrown him into random positions in random games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rock solid at CHB, potential AA in that spot in the future, not so good when played elsewhere. Wants to be a forward but in my opinion he's not much good in that position.

That's my assessment on him. So question to opposition fans, what would you pay for him as we desperately need pick/s in the upcoming draft.

Rock solid at CHB, potential AA in that spot in the future, not so good when played elsewhere. Wants to be a forward but in my opinion he's not much good in that position.

That's my assessment on him. So question to opposition fans, what would you pay for him as we desperately need pick/s in the upcoming draft.
A mid second rounder sounds about right.

We have 2 second rounders but both are in the early 20's. Would offer up a pick in the 30's or 40's for Josh if we could acquire one.

Was referring to our second round pick, not Collingwood's.

So pick 26 (originally 24, but will drop due to F/S) for Battle and Saints' 4th round pick (66 after F/S selections) puts Battle's value at pick 30.

Was referring to our second round pick, not Collingwood's.

So pick 26 (originally 24, but will drop due to F/S) for Battle and Saints' 4th round pick (66 after F/S selections) puts Battle's value at pick 30.

I'm not sure he's worth that in all honesty.

For age and career output he'd be worth around the same as if we shopped around Harry Morrison. An early 40's pick probably the best we could realistically hope for.

I'm not sure he's worth that in all honesty.

For age and career output he'd be worth around the same as if we shopped around Harry Morrison. An early 40's pick probably the best we could realistically hope for.
Fortunately most people around here don't take your footy knowledge credibility seriously ...maybe you should just comment on cricket or something you know a little more about ....just sayin' ..

Fortunately most people around here don't take your footy knowledge credibility seriously ...maybe you should just comment on cricket or something you know a little more about ....just sayin' ..

I like Battle. I also like Morrison. Battle would be worth more than Morrison if a team rates height and athleticism higher than exposed output (and look, they may). But here are the career average comparisons.

Morrison on the left. Battle on the right.

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 6.53.59 pm.png

I also don't know if you've confused me with somebody else, but my knowledge on cricket can best be summed up by the fact Matthew Wade is my favourite cricketer. Please trust my footy knowledge before anything to do with cricket.

His worth is really difficult to gauge. Based on what he's done, he's probably worth a third rounder. But when you factor in his attributes, it goes up a bit. He's also under contract so there's no need for St Kilda to trade him unless they're happy with the pick. I'd probably let him go for a top 30 pick.

I like Battle. I also like Morrison. Battle would be worth more than Morrison if a team rates height and athleticism higher than exposed output (and look, they may). But here are the career average comparisons.

Morrison on the left. Battle on the right.

View attachment 1218651

I also don't know if you've confused me with somebody else, but my knowledge on cricket can best be summed up by the fact Matthew Wade is my favourite cricketer. Please trust my footy knowledge before anything to do with cricket.
How tall is Morrison ? compare to Battle . I don't know why compare a player 1.80 vs 1.93 m

Remove this Banner Ad

Back