The Ashes, Third Test Australia v England @ The MCG 26-30 December

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

When the bowler’s front foot lands they aren’t allowed to attempt a mankad that late in their delivery stride anymore. It changed at least a decade ago.
Still not so. It is the position of the arm.

What do Laws of Cricket say?
The provision to run the non-striker out is clearly laid out in the Laws of Cricket. The ‘Mankad’ is a thoroughly fair, legal act, as even Don Bradman, who was captain of that Australian team in 1947, insisted back then. Law 41.16, which pertains to the “Non-striker leaving his/her ground early,” states: “If the non-striker is out of his/her ground at any time from the moment the ball comes into play until the instant when the bowler would normally have been expected to release the ball, the non-striker is liable to be run out.”

The Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), the custodian of the Laws, has tweaked the Mankad rule and changed its wording over the years. In the 2017 Code, “Bowler attempting to run out non-striker before delivery” was replaced with “Non-striker leaving their ground early” in order to put the “onus on the non-striker to remain in their ground.” To emphasise this point further, on April 1 this year, the MCC slightly rephrased Law 41.16 again, replacing “the bowler is permitted to run [the non-striker] out” with “the non-striker is liable to be run out.”

Also changed in 2017 was an important aspect of the law. Previously, the bowler was only permitted to run out a non-striker backing up before entering his delivery stride. “This meant that as the bowler’s back foot landed, the non-striker could move down the wicket a considerable way before the bowler actually delivered the ball. This was considered unfair,” notes the International Cricket Council Match Officials’ Almanac 2017-18 (the ICC’s interpretation of the Laws).

The new playing condition permits the bowler to run the batsman out “at any point before he releases the ball provided he has not completed his delivery swing.”

42.11, "The bowler is permitted, before releasing the ball and provided he has not completed his usual delivery swing, to attempt to run out the non-striker." The umpires shall deem the bowler to have completed his delivery swing once his bowling arm passes the normal point of ball release.

Just watch the ball come out of the bowlers hand and take off. Impossible to be run out and you won't be cheating.
I was given that advice by George Tribe, who knew a thing or two about cricket more than 50 years ago.

Last edited:
What happened to Gary Ballance?

Averaging 37 after 23 with 4 hundreds which is decent and First class average close to 50 with 41 hundreds?

Not sure what prompted a guy who covers the game for a living to say that. Heaps of sides have been bundled for double figures in the last decade. Hell the windies rolled England for 60-70 a couple of years ago didn’t they?
Not sure the tweet was totally serious. England was rolled for 77 less than a week before it was made. They were also done for 58 in Auckland the year before.

What happened to Gary Ballance?

Averaging 37 after 23 with 4 hundreds which is decent and First class average close to 50 with 41 hundreds?

Impressed many years ago here on a Lions tour when he was their only shining light.

Had fallen out of favour and may also have been caught up in the racism row at Yorkshire.

Time to call a spade a spade..
England have that delightful balance of limited talent and hearts like peas who give.up.when going gets tough

I would say that’s unfair to them as an entire team but I certainly think a few of their batsmen come into that category. Their bowlers could not have tried much harder I don’t think.

It’s not so much pea heartedness as it’s just that lacking instinct to say to the bowler ‘you will have to bust yourself to get me out.’ I equate pea heartedness with not caring and not trying. I equate what we are seeing at the moment with being afraid and being beaten before you walk out to bat. Much of a muchness I guess to some people and that’s fair enough

I would say that’s unfair to them as an entire team but I certainly think a few of their batsmen come into that category. Their bowlers could not have tried much harder I don’t think.

It’s not so much pea heartedness as it’s just that lacking instinct to say to the bowler ‘you will have to bust yourself to get me out.’ I equate pea heartedness with not caring and not trying. I equate what we are seeing at the moment with being afraid and being beaten before you walk out to bat. Much of a muchness I guess to some people and that’s fair enough
They are products of their system, we should not get too cocky, we’re headed in the same direction from a batting point of view, India will own everyone in time because despite the IPL, the way kids learn the game is still largely unchanged, we and in the uk have lost that and it’s not coming back

They are products of their system, we should not get too cocky, we’re headed in the same direction from a batting point of view, India will own everyone in time because despite the IPL, the way kids learn the game is still largely unchanged, we and in the uk have lost that and it’s not coming back
India won't owneveryone in time
They'll give up and throw the towel in whenever they are faced with difficult (ie non Indian).conditions

India won't owneveryone in time
They'll give up and throw the towel in whenever they are faced with difficult (ie non Indian).conditions

Based on what, exactly? The fact that they’ve currently got a team who wins in England, Australia, and look odds-on barring a major form reversal to win for the first time in South Africa?

How is this attitude still a thing?

Based on what, exactly? The fact that they’ve currently got a team who wins in England, Australia, and look odds-on barring a major form reversal to win for the first time in South Africa?

How is this attitude still a thing?

3-4 years they may come back to the pack, Ashwin (35), Kohli (33), Rahane (33) and Pujara (33) will all go out about the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3-4 years they may come back to the pack, Ashwin (35), Kohli (33), Rahane (33) and Pujara (33) will all go out about the same time.

Of course they could but it isn’t those players that are carrying them now.
It’s KL Rahul, Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah, Rishabh Pant, Shami (who is ageing admittedly), Siraj.

Those players who are older can’t just be replaced I know that, we all know that. But the belief and the edge and hardness they have imbued in Indian cricket and the lack of fear - that’s infectious and it’s not going anywhere

It is very timely actually - Harsha Bhogle’s cricket legends interview just aired. He talks about how Indian players now have swagger and even the quiet ones like Pujara don’t have that same timidity that crippled their players when they travelled for so long.

He said that Gavaskar have India a realisation that they could play pace bowling based on how he stood up to the West Indies juggernaut and Tendulkar and Dravid carried that on and that has now filtered to not one or two players but all of them. Likewise Kapil Dev begat Srinath who begat Zaheer Khan, and from there they have this cartel of fast bowlers.

I’m not a fan of India but I’ve got a lot of respect for how they’ve grown beyond the ‘spin destroyer’ demographic that permeated their batting line ups for so long

England shocking. Haven’t had time to watch any cricket this summer buy seeing the scores. Terrible effort!
Or is Aussies that good?

England shocking. Haven’t had time to watch any cricket this summer buy seeing the scores. Terrible effort!
Or is Aussies that good?
England have been truly terrible, especially batting. To be honest they would probably go down to most shield sides in Australia, so cannot really derive that much glory from knocking them off.
No real ‘tests’ here for the Aussies.

Yes, that's what concerns me as well. The warning signs are there. I've been observing the English team since ball 1 of the First Test, and they have looked dispirited, even disinterested to the degree they look as though they'd rather be somewhere else. That dismissal on Tea by Buttler is a classic example of someone who just doesn't care. Australia still have players thrilled to receive the green baggy and play out of their skin when given the opportunity.

However, one wonders for how long. I can see the possibility of the truncated form of the game becoming a priority due to the money that can be earned. It worries me to see batsmen gravitate to Test level with obvious flaws in their technique. This includes not covering off stump in defence, and not knowing which balls to play, and when to leave.

At the moment, the only Test matches worth a damn is Australia v India, the Ashes don't appear to mean a damned thing.

Just quickly, one thing that has annoyed me over the years is watching Jimmy Anderson trying to bat. You'd think a 20 year professional, a player with obvious natural sporting ability, would have at some time learned a forward and backward defence.

England have been truly terrible, especially batting. To be honest they would probably go down to most shield sides in Australia, so cannot really derive that much glory from knocking them off.
No real ‘tests’ here for the Aussies.

Shane Warne once said that, said Shield cricket was harder then most Test sides but granted thats when we had absolute guns that couldn't get a crack in Tests eg. Love, Hodge, Elliott, Bevan, Lehmann, Di Venuto, Cox, Law, Moody few that come to mind, hardly anyone averages 38 in Shield cricket now let alone 50.

Yes, that's what concerns me as well. The warning signs are there. I've been observing the English team since ball 1 of the First Test, and they have looked dispirited, even disinterested to the degree they look as though they'd rather be somewhere else. That dismissal on Tea by Buttler is a classic example of someone who just doesn't care. Australia still have players thrilled to receive the green baggy and play out of their skin when given the opportunity.

However, one wonders for how long. I can see the possibility of the truncated form of the game becoming a priority due to the money that can be earned. It worries me to see batsmen gravitate to Test level with obvious flaws in their technique. This includes not covering off stump in defence, and not knowing which balls to play, and when to leave.

At the moment, the only Test matches worth a damn is Australia v India, the Ashes don't appear to mean a damned thing.

Just quickly, one thing that has annoyed me over the years is watching Jimmy Anderson trying to bat. You'd think a 20 year professional, a player with obvious natural sporting ability, would have at some time learned a forward and backward defence.
Indian kids learn the game the old way, they’ve got enough kids to have three different sides, but fundamentally their Test bats all have a technique that stands up to test cricket, England has 1 and a half

Based on history
India have a history of giving up away from home

Right which is why they fought back from 36 all out in the first test last summer to win 2-1. Because history right?

What Gunduppa Viswanath did when he faced Andy Roberts matters heaps to KL Rahul when he’s standing at the popping crease waiting for Kagiso Rabada to bowl

Back