The Ashes, Third Test Australia v England @ The MCG 26-30 December

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Warne once said that, said Shield cricket was harder then most Test sides but granted thats when we had absolute guns that couldn't get a crack in Tests eg. Love, Hodge, Elliott, Bevan, Lehmann, Di Venuto, Cox, Law, Moody few that come to mind, hardly anyone averages 38 in Shield cricket now let alone 50.

Last season -

Green 76.
Head 68.
Lab 82.
Harris. 63.
Pucovski 250

Right which is why they fought back from 36 all out in the first test last summer to win 2-1. Because history right?

What Gunduppa Viswanath did when he faced Andy Roberts matters heaps to KL Rahul when he’s standing at the popping crease waiting for Kagiso Rabada to bowl

People who still have this attitude about India are going to be really really disappointed over the next decade.

Easily the best test team in the world.

The English cricket team visited an orphanage in Melbourne earlier today, “It’s heartbreaking to see their little faces with no hope”, Timmy, aged 6 lamented

Sent from my Louis Vuitton Jaffle Maker

Aaaah, let's bring out the classics.

'Jos Buttler was so distressed at the easy catch he missed, he put his head in his hands in horror. Unfortunately, he dropped that as well'.

Yes, that's what concerns me as well. The warning signs are there. I've been observing the English team since ball 1 of the First Test, and they have looked dispirited, even disinterested to the degree they look as though they'd rather be somewhere else. That dismissal on Tea by Buttler is a classic example of someone who just doesn't care. Australia still have players thrilled to receive the green baggy and play out of their skin when given the opportunity.

However, one wonders for how long. I can see the possibility of the truncated form of the game becoming a priority due to the money that can be earned. It worries me to see batsmen gravitate to Test level with obvious flaws in their technique. This includes not covering off stump in defence, and not knowing which balls to play, and when to leave.

At the moment, the only Test matches worth a damn is Australia v India, the Ashes don't appear to mean a damned thing.

Just quickly, one thing that has annoyed me over the years is watching Jimmy Anderson trying to bat. You'd think a 20 year professional, a player with obvious natural sporting ability, would have at some time learned a forward and backward defence.
To be fair to Anderson he is 40 , his batting has steadily got worse post 30 which isnt a total suprise.

No excuse for the rest .
Couldn't believe how poorly Pope played Lyon. It actually looked like he had never faced a decent spinner before .
The rest basically give slips catching practice.

It sounds like there is literally nothing else coming through either.
You would think coming up on seaming swinging county conditions you would have some form of technique or gameplan.

No excuse for the rest .
Couldn't believe how poorly Pope played Lyon. It actually looked like he had never faced a decent spinner before .
The rest basically give slips catching practice.
Pope is easily the best performed young bat in county cricket, yet is completely at sea against spin bowling.

Pope is easily the best performed young bat in county cricket, yet is completely at sea against spin bowling.

Our hard decks and Lyon's top spin have undone him for the moment.

Hopefully he gets another crack. "Here's Jonny" Bairstow has had 80 Tests to prove his incompetence. He should be retired to the buffet bar where he is clearly more adept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on history
India have a history of giving up away from home
They have a genuine pace attack for the first time in probably forever, with more in the pipeline. That used to be the issue out of the subcontinent. They couldn’t make break throughs on pitches that didn’t turn. That’s well and truly changed.

How many more ways can they plan to lose? Maybe a 1 day Test match 🤣

The big worry with the covid numbers increasing that both teams could be missing players eventually.Surprised he has to isolate for so long as I thought Melbourne had different rules then Adelaide.

The big worry with the covid numbers increasing that both teams could be missing players eventually.Surprised he has to isolate for so long as I thought Melbourne had different rules then Adelaide.

Persons must isolate after a positive test for 10 days from the covid test date, so Silverwood is in Melbourne for the next 10 days

Persons must isolate after a positive test for 10 days from the covid test date, so Silverwood is in Melbourne for the next 10 days

So does Silverwood have covid. Because if he does not I would have thought if he has been in contact with some one that has would have to be tested and isolate till he gets a negative result similar to the current rules in Melbourne and Sydney.

It sounds like there is literally nothing else coming through either.
You would think coming up on seaming swinging county conditions you would have some form of technique or gameplan.
They've just gotta keep rolling through the players until they find something that sticks.

If you look at Australia's current line up, it doesn't come out of central casting.

You've got the white-ball slogger, the bloke who changed states because he was averagely average, a guy who was averaging in the low 30s in Shield cricket, a fat leg spinner who only got his spot back because his teammates didn't do their homework, a number five who has already been dropped about three times, and a fast bowler and who had played about ten FC games before batting number six. And a footballer keeping wickets.

So does Silverwood have covid. Because if he does not I would have thought if he has been in contact with some one that has would have to be tested and isolate till he gets a negative result similar to the current rules in Melbourne and Sydney.

He doesn't, but is deemed a close contact

That’s the issue, he isn’t facing anything close to Nathan Lyon in the county championship. Simon Harmer would be the closest and then Leach and maybe Matthew Parkinson who is promising. They don’t have many spinners and sue to the pitches of a lot of counties spinners are surplus to requirements for a lot of the season.

Back