Preview Changes & prematch discussion vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't understand the confusion regarding Ford. He is a mid sized forward, doesn't play anywhere else on the ground yet and had 6 possessions, with two senior guys coming back into the 22 who play the same role with versatility and are better. Ford will be a senior player no doubt, but horses for courses. As for him vs mahony or Turner, I think mahony should have had a spell but Turner would have a role somewhere on the ground.

Fair enough Ford making way for Zurhaar, but Turner's coming off 2 x 5 possessions games in a row (and 10, 10 and 13 in the other 3 games). He's played over 100 games. He's in the leadership group. If we're happy elevating CCJ to the seniors on the back of not very much and prioritising Xerri over Goldy for the sake of the future, surely we have someone in the 2's with more future/upside who, while not quite ready, could come in and gather 5 inoffensive/ineffective touches whilst trying hard?

I just personally don’t like the fact that Eddie has been in and then straight out a few times now. Let the kid find his feet for 2-3 weeks and then reassess. It’s not like the blokes in 22 playing the same role are setting the world on fire themselves.

Powell has been managed terribly so far this year imo. I’m actually ok with him getting a full game or two in the vfl rather then what they’ve done with him so far.
Just looking at the ins/outs I think dropping Eddie is a necessity for team balance. We've got 3 mid-small forward types coming in, and one of the forced outs is Aaron Hall. CZ is roughly like for like with Eddie and although Cam hasn't lit the world on fire this season he's still ahead of Eddie on reputation.

Just looking at the ins/outs I think dropping Eddie is a necessity for team balance. We've got 3 mid-small forward types coming in, and one of the forced outs is Aaron Hall. CZ is roughly like for like with Eddie and although Cam hasn't lit the world on fire this season he's still ahead of Eddie on reputation.
Ford would provide more pressure and goal kicking ability than mahony

Mahony is obsolete especially with Curtis in

Anyway all moot when sleevo takes Mahony spot next week but annoying nonetheless as ford should have had 1 more week

Anyway all moot when sleevo takes Mahony spot next week but annoying nonetheless as ford should have had 1 more week
GIF by Groundhog Day

The stats suggest otherwise regarding pressure but don't worry about facts.

I would rather us pump games into players like Goater and Bergman than persist with a bloke that is not AFL standard and doesn’t look like ever reaching it.

Yes their output might not be as high initially, but there is a good chance they will surpass Young pretty quickly given enough exposure.

It’s not like Young is setting a high bar. He is useless defensively and a massive liability with the ball in hand.

I think the position the club is in, it’s time to stop wasting time on players who are essentially list cloggers.
Here's the thing, unlike TT and JHF, Goater and Bergman haven't played against men. AFL is physically harder than VFL, as in tougher physically, an Goater and Bergman have barely had a chance to get used to VFL yet.

Apart from TT and JHF (so far) every first round pick we've had has been injured in their first year. Jy, LDU, Lazz and Powell for example.

Curtis is a forward, and a massive unit by the looks of him. So he might be better prepared for an AFL game than Bergman. I think Burger and Goatman should play VFL until they are comfortable enough to dominate the VFL (relatively speaking) for weeks on end. Let's give them till the bye. If they want to play at AFL level then they'll need to be good enough to do that anyway.

a) obviously not since we don't have anyone banging the door down behind him
b) why are you acting like it's unreasonable to think Larkey has been very poor so far this season?
Because he is equal fifth in the goal kicking for the comp, two goals behind the leaders in a wooden spoon side that is second last on the ladder. Those four players ahead of him are all in top eight sides and the two equal with him are as well. He must be doing something right cos we aren't making it easy for the forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a team that can’t kick goals we dropped 2 blokes that kicked one each in Ford, Powell off limited opportunities but have kept in Turner and Mahony that aren’t exactly the most offensive of players. Not sure how you win games of footy without guys that can’t kick goals

For a team that can’t kick goals we dropped 2 blokes that kicked one each in Ford, Powell off limited opportunities but have kept in Turner and Mahony that aren’t exactly the most offensive of players. Not sure how you win games of footy without guys that can’t kick goals
We did bring in Thomas, Curtis and Zurhaar so that was probably considered.

Ford will be sub.

Goldstein could still miss in fairness to TAO but given every opportunity to be ready.

This is purely a guess, but perhaps Goldy has had it suggested to him that we may rest him at some point in the next few weeks to give CCJ a chance. Whether that's dependant on form or not who knows, but clearly we can't play all 3 of X/CCJ/Goldy again.
Could've easily been misconstrued as Goldy being out this week.

Hey, folkswhothinkeverythingisrosyatthemomentandthere'snoproblemwithselectionallhailnobes, figure this one out for me:

2/4: Brisbane 23.18 (156) defeat North Melbourne 7.6 (48)

6/4: David Nobles:

"'There needs to be consequences and understanding how we need to rectify that, so there's some learnings from there.

"Guys' positions become vulnerable when you put performances on the board like that.

"You've also got to give those guys that were in that game an opportunity to respond...'"

15/4: North Melbourne 11.5 (71) defeated by Western Bulldogs 21.13 (139)

22/4: The only players dropped? Tom Powell (Age: 20, Games: 17), Eddie Ford (Age: 19, Games: 6)

A selection of top performers from the WB games after 'being given an opportunity to respond', you ask?

Kayne Turner: Disposals: 5 Goals: 0
Todd Goldstein: Disposals: 4 Goals: 0
Jack Mahony: Disposals: 4, Goals: 0
Jack Ziebell: Disposals: 7, Goals: 1 (And one dropped soda of a chest mark in the opening seconds that set the tone for the day)

EDIT: In fairness, Sydney game 'response': Turner (5 disposals, 1 goal), Goldstein (16, 2 goals, 13 HO), Jack Mahony (14, 1), Jack Ziebell (5 goals obvs)

Real ******* setting standards, 'guys positions become vulnerable' type stuff, hey, Nobles?

But no, there's definitely no problems at selection and how dare anyone question if the club and father figure™ Nobles might be wrong. How dare you!!11!

Last edited:
same time last year we lost by 20 goals, and that was with ben cunnington. there was no patch in the good friday game last year that was exciting or fun to watch like the second quarter last week, it was non-stop misery. josh ******* bruce kicked 10. if you can't appreciate that things have improved since then I'd encourage you to go back and watch it again.
Based on that logic we are 4x worse than last season as we lost by 28 points to Brions last year and got belted by 108 on r3...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey, folkswhothinkeverythingisrosyatthemomentandthere'snoproblemwithselectionallhailnobes, figure this one out for me:

2/4: Brisbane 23.18 (156) defeat North Melbourne 7.6 (48)

6/4: David Nobles:

"'There needs to be consequences and understanding how we need to rectify that, so there's some learnings from there.

"Guys' positions become vulnerable when you put performances on the board like that.

"You've also got to give those guys that were in that game an opportunity to respond...'"

15/4: North Melbourne 11.5 (71) defeated by Western Bulldogs 21.13 (139)

22/4: The only players dropped? Tom Powell (Age: 20, Games: 17), Eddie Ford (Age: 19, Games: 6)

A selection of top performers from the WB games after 'being given an opportunity to respond', you ask?

Kayne Turner: Disposals: 5 Goals: 0
Todd Goldstein: Disposals: 4 Goals: 0
Jack Mahony: Disposals: 4, Goals: 0
Jack Ziebell: Disposals: 7, Goals: 1 (And one dropped soda of a chest mark in the opening seconds that set the tone for the day)

Real ******* setting standards, 'guys positions become vulnerable' type stuff, hey, Nobles?

But no, there's definitely no problems at selection and how dare anyone question if the club and father figure™ Nobles might be wrong. How dare you!!11!
Not that I think everything is rosy, but it’s convenient for you to pretend the Dogs game came straight after the Lions debacle.

Not that I think everything is rosy, but it’s convenient for you to pretend the Dogs game came straight after the Lions debacle.
I would have thought a response lasts longer than one game, hth.

What good is a response if it's only a week and then we revert back to how we were before asking for a response?

What the actual fu*? Chom not in the team? Well ****** slap me silly! Im dumbfounded, gobsmacked, utterly shocked. More n more this season goes on, the more im thinking the selection committee need to ship off

If Comben (fingers crossed, injury permitting) is not picked for the Carlton game, I’ll be both surprised and disappointed. However, since Chom himself has been quoted as saying he would play five games in the VFL before he’d play AFL, I’m struggling to rise to a meaningful melt. For me, the good news is that Bergman seems to be on the threshold of debuting. Not many people would have called that on draft night, when he became our first “draft whipping boy” - a new high/low for this board.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Comben (fingers crossed, injury permitting) is not picked for the Carlton game, I’ll be both surprised and disappointed. However, since Chom himself has been quoted as saying he would play five games in the VFL before he’d play AFL, I’m struggling to rise to a meaningful melt. For me, the good news is that Bergman seems to be on the threshold of debuting. Not many people would have called that on draft night, when he became our first “draft whipping boy” - a new high/low for this board.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I spoke to Chom on wednesday he’s ready to go now

Said to get in the ear of nobes if I see him

Next week should be in for goldy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back