Autopsy I swear there was a patch of footy where we hit like 8 short kicks in a row in the third quarter - Autopsy vs Port Adelaide

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals
Plumbing depths never yet seen.

Super.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well that was fun , I thought nifty Noble was all over it after quarter time.
It looked like the Poorts would have 44 scoring shots . But only had 30 . I like the size of some of our players arms they look like they’ve never visited a weight room . Makes the average dad at home think he could play AFL.
I doubt Cunners , McKay , JHF , Simpkin, Phillips if fit would have played as they’d be kept out by the likes of Atu, Mahoney, Walkers, Turner and Andersons.
That's probably as good a post as any to chime into this thread on I reckon.

A couple of exceptions over the past few years would be Maj and Hayden who were probably overly developed - but almost every other North player looks to be comparitvely smaller and less bulging in the muscle department compared to their opponents. It really does look like they are afraid to go near the weights room.

Tony (chompers) Jones did an advertisement on Channel 9 news for some footscray bloke a couple of weeks ago, showing the weights equipment he had in his home. It would put Doherty's Gym to shame. The reeled off the brand-name and zoomed in on the iron maybe 5 or 6 times. The player said he spends a lot of his spare time working on strength. Our blokes look like they could only make it part way through a Jane Fonda aerobics video.

If only they realise that season 2022 is over - start 2023 pre-season now. Build strength, speed and endurance in the ratio that best suits the players for the role their body size or skill-set is built for.

And make every player who is likely to enter the forward half during matches to take 100 set shots from 40m out on various angles, ten shots at a turn after running two laps. Under 80% through the big sticks gets a game in the VFL. The defenders need to do equivalent kick in practice.

And somebody said get the Storm coach to teach tackling. Actually, they could get the Frankston VFL coach to do that (and to lead the goal kicking practice).

Unfit blokes who wear themselves out by half way through Q2 from chasing and backtracking will lose many more games than they will ever win.

Last edited:

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How many times were we pushed/nudged slightly to unbalance or lose footing, unpenalised, just before the pill arrives at a contest ?

Both Larkey and Hayden had a crack at returning the favor, but their lack of subtlety saw them both free kicked instantly.
Clearly Port practice this tactic. SPP is a master, but several others did it as well. Funny thing is, some were not subtle - there were blatant pushes that weren't penalised. Other teams have also mastered the well disguised throw although I noticed CCJ and one or two other north players got away with obvious throws today. When you watch some teams (such as the bullflogs) warm up they give a perfect demonstration of propelling the ball while making it look vaguley like a handpass.

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
The only senior players that stood up today were Goldy & Turner.

Walker, Ziebell, Corr & McDonald were either unsighted or poor.

It’s a constant cycle. Until they all show up, or we replace them with senior players that front up every week, the cycle will continue.
Cept for that time Goldy stepped away from a contest....
Turner is sadly so limited, and the rest you are right on.

They are just incompetent fools. How Port were allowed to get away with their ruck tactics all day defied belief.
Dermie called it Rucklotto

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dermie called it Rucklotto
There was one where the ump threw the ball up and it almost landed on Goldy's head. He did put out his hands as the oppo ruck was about to land square on top of him and then the ump pays a push-out against North! If the throw was straight up that could not have happened.

But Dermie and Draino were calling ruck infringments time and time again today and noting that they were hardly ever paid. Then, the "Rucklotto" call came when SPP got the free for something he and his mates had been getting away with all day long.

Did I ever give an impression of not liking the way AFL footbal is umpired - I sometimes feel that it might be apparent.

Last edited:
For the 4th week in a row Walker and Young make me embarrassed to be a north supporter - Luff should be sacked for not targeting a young or established KPD.

Tarryn Thomas is the most overrated footballer in the AFL.

Jayden Stevenson needs to be traded.

There I said it.. come at me because I simply don’t give a fu**.
Is Young not a young?

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's probably as good a post as any to chime into this thread on I reckon.

A couple of exceptions over the past few years would be Maj and Hayden who were probably overly developed - but almost every other North player looks to be comparitvely smaller and less bulging in the muscle department compared to their opponents. It really does look like they are afraid to go near the weights room.

Tony (chompers) Jones did an advertisement on Channel 9 news for some footscray bloke a couple of weeks ago, showing the weights equipment he had in his home. It would put Doherty's Gym to shame. The reeled off the brand-name and zoomed in on the iron maybe 5 or 6 times. The player said he spends a lot of his spare time working on strength. Our blokes look like they could only make it part way through a Jane Fonda aerobics video.

If only they realise that season 2022 is over - start 2023 pre-season now. Build strength, speed and endurance in the ratio that best suits the players for the role their body size or skill-set is built for.

And make every player who is likely to enter the forward half during matches to take 100 set shots from 40m out on various angles, ten shots at a turn after running two laps. Under 80% through the big sticks gets a game in the VFL. The defenders need to do equivalent kick in practice.

And somebody said get the Storm coach to teach tackling. Actually, they could get the Frankston VFL coach to do that (and to lead the goal kicking practice).

Unfit blokes who wear themselves out by half way through Q2 from chasing and backtracking will lose many more games than they will ever win.
Yep it seems the boys are just happy playing AFL the sacked crew complained no one told us what we were doing wrong and give us another chance. It’s a well paid gig AFL, a privilege not a right .

I don’t understand tbh why the * we look like Ethiopian middle distance runners.
I see no reason for it.

I’ve been watching more AFL this season than the last few . We can chat about structure and game plans til the cows come home .

We just ain’t what the majority of modern day footballers are .
I saw Ryder kick 3 and provide a strong second fiddle contested marking option for the Saints today.
We have no one at all that can do that .
I just don’t get how the * we ended up so far from what is required .

Oh well , I don’t have any answers unfortunately

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've been seeing a lot of 'turnovers were the problem' comments.

There was one turnover difference between the two sides.

One side was structured to capitalise on the opposition's mistakes. The other was not.
That's pretty amazing - only one difference in turnover numbers.

What is sad is HOW North turn the ball over. There appear to be so many that are unforced errors. The Lachie Young pass in the back line, the Jack Ziebell pass in the forward line and quite a few handballs as well went to unopposed opposition players. Add to that the hail-mary kicks in hope that seem to pick out opponents. Some of the heavily maligned North players do work their arses off in the contest and they do win balls from opposition players. If only they had a supporting outlet player to give the ball off to so the team could capitalise on the opposition mistakes as you say...................

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Darcy Byrne-Jones has been an All-Australian, but Ben Cunnington hasn't.

Absolutely ******* criminal

adas

All Australian
Mar 22, 2010
Port Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In this clusterf$;k of a season, I go into each game looking for small positives- green shoots if you will.

Powell- I genuinely think he could be the best of the lot (JHF and TT) included. He is absolute class with ball in hand. We need to get him fitter and stronger so he can accumulate it 25 times on a bad day. Needs to be played in the guts. Will be an absolute star

Curtis- just does one or two things a game where you know he has “it”. That crumb and handball for Zurhaars goal a prime example.

Call me delusional, but I still feel we more talent on our list now than we have had since the 90s. We just need to persevere and at some point it will click.

I do hope we have a big swing at Clarko. Exactly what this list of players require.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In this clusterf$;k of a season, I go into each game looking for small positives- green shoots if you will.

Powell- I genuinely think he could be the best of the lot (JHF and TT) included. He is absolute class with ball in hand. We need to get him fitter and stronger so he can accumulate it 25 times on a bad day. Needs to be played in the guts. Will be an absolute star

Curtis- just does one or two things a game where you know he has “it”. That crumb and handball for Zurhaars goal a prime example.

Call me delusional, but I still feel we more talent on our list now than we have had since the 90s. We just need to persevere and at some point it will click.

I do hope we have a big swing at Clarko. Exactly what this list of players require.
I think we definitely have the most u24 talent that we’ve had since the 90s. Unfortunately that takes years of good development to capitalise on.

Warrboy

All Australian
Aug 9, 2005
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We’re not fit enough to begin with but chase tail all day so end up more exhausted. We can’t maintain possession due to a lack of skill and provide no movement or options. Stagnant. Compared to whatever the opposition is, we don’t work hard enough.

I’m in the “it’s the players” camp this week no the coach. People have listed all the terrible duds we have, going to take quite some time to rotate them out. As much as we notice North’s failings watching them, it becomes more pronounced watching other games, the effort the skills, the collective drive and common understanding. And our failings aren’t just rebuild” things, they’re fundamental football things that a large proportion of our players aren’t capable of or capable of delivering consistently.

And as for Tom Powell. Given he is one of the few that actually looks like a footballer why not let him play more on the football field? That one is on the coach.

The only senior players that stood up today were Goldy & Turner.

Walker, Ziebell, Corr & McDonald were either unsighted or poor.

It’s a constant cycle. Until they all show up, or we replace them with senior players that front up every week, the cycle will continue.
I really really really don't want to hear more about how McDonald is our likely next captain.

No.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
When

Anderson ---> JHF
Walker ---> McKay
Atu ---> Hall
Scott ---> Simpkin
Hayden ---> Phillips
Mahony ---> Ford

We are going to be ... pretty bloody good

We lost today but I saw more signs than I've seen for the rest of the season combined

For the whole rest of the season we have had zero ability to actually generate shots on goal and get into good positions. Today we shot ourselves in the foot through crap kicking at goal, and bad decision making going forward. Lukey's kick to Curtis in the last, Curtis not handballing to Zurhaar at the end of the third. TT, Larkey and Zurhaar all missing gettable shots on goal

We moved the footy better today than we have all season. We strung passages of play together. The kicking and skills were generally better. And all without Simpkin, without JHF and with genuine ball butchers in the middle in Anderson.

We just can't do it for long enough at a high enough intensity. The pressure we put on for long periods i.e. locking it in our forward half for about 7-8 minutes in the second quarter and again in the third, our players actually trying to tackle and harass. That's the type of footy we've been missing, that's what I wanted to see and that's why I'm probably happier today than I have been for the rest of the season. This is a platform to build off (yes a 50 odd point loss is a good platform)

Turner kept Gray pretty quiet. He is a liability with the footy in hand. Thought Atu and Young were reasonable, Young outside of the appalling turnover that slaughtered all momentum, and spoiling Luke tryng to take a uncontested mark in the last

On the negative side - Stephenson can either tackle or fu** off. I know he's an icing type player but he might be the most outside player thats ever existed. It can't be carried when we're this bad. I think the only person I've seen worse than him also plays for us in Polec

Taylor might need a rest. Mahony definitely needs a rest. Luke was quiet. Anderson is not a good footballer. Whoever was playing on SPP got given a massive lesson. Ziebell ... anonymous. Walker is awful but necessary.
We must have been watching a different game.

We must have been watching a different game.

That's the beauty of footy. People take different things from it. Don't get me wrong, we lost by what 70 points, I'm pissed about it, but it wasn't the loss we had against Freo, or against Brissy

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
It's pretty sad that every week at quarter time it's just a matter of how far.
We can't even muster being competitive for the first quarter of a game to generate a smidge of hope, and then the rest of the game is just a matter of margin.
And then we usually show a bit in second term, try to hang on in third and get destroyed in fourth.
You can almost set your clock by it.

Back