List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

Howdy partner 🤠 You will be known as Cowboy Briz from now on until I forget you said this 😂

I was trying to mingle with the westerners.

Let me make it quite clear if either of you possum *ing, co(k suckers ever come back here, on my West Coast land with fake cowboy hats and dipsh1t jokes.

You need to understand, that it will mean.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Keep it up .... and you both might just get ........ a ride to the train station.

That nobody from the club and nobody in the media have stated that we are heavily into this years crop of midfielders, but having a good look and interested in key positions, is really, really concerning

I know Busslinger is good, but surely given our needs and that our cupboard is bare for young midfielders, even Obrien wouldn't draft 2 key position players over 2 mids this year, would he??

🙂 Be unconventional, zany even, I like it.

I think Trev remembers Bell and his feathers lingering like a fart in an elevator when we were negotiating with Geelong to bring Kelly across

Consider this payback

We should throw a decent offer at Bailey Banfield as well then. 24 years old, UFA and a solid B+ role player. 5 x better than some we will let go.

Worse case we push up his value and Freo have the cough up.

Still can’t believe Norf gifted Richmond one of the most important picks of the draft for that spud Coleman-Jones
Yes, but how else could they then ask for compensation picks! Don't you know they onl have pick 1 then no pick to pick 55. Poor North, please feel sorry for them.

Also posted on the North board. Maybe they don’t have too many mids
There's a difference between having too many mids, and having good mids.

That nobody from the club and nobody in the media have stated that we are heavily into this years crop of midfielders, but having a good look and interested in key positions, is really, really concerning

I know Busslinger is good, but surely given our needs and that our cupboard is bare for young midfielders, even Obrien wouldn't draft 2 key position players over 2 mids this year, would he??
I think everyone would expect the club to go after mids this draft it seems the most obvious short term problem the list faces.
However I don’t see this as a short term build, our list is a mess and while some see us improving next year most of that short term hope comes from guys over 27 years old getting fit and on the park.
If the feeling is that Busslinger is an A grade proposition and there are concerns around how good the top end mids are then grab him. Premierships are built around defence and Buss and Bazzo would be the pillars of that.
We will have several more top end picks over the coming years so plenty of time to grab the gun mids….we are going to have to be patient this is going to take time probably several years in fact.

I think everyone would expect the club to go after mids this draft it seems the most obvious short term problem the list faces.
However I don’t see this as a short term build, our list is a mess and while some see us improving next year most of that short term hope comes from guys over 27 years old getting fit and on the park.
If the feeling is that Busslinger is an A grade proposition and there are concerns around how good the top end mids are then grab him. Premierships are built around defence and Buss and Bazzo would be the pillars of that.
We will have several more top end picks over the coming years so plenty of time to grab the gun mids….we are going to have to be patient this is going to take time probably several years in fact.

Fitting Bazzo, Edwards and Busslinger into the same defense (with Barrass and Gov there for a few years yet) becomes a problem. We may end up with a Brander situation, where we have to try (and fail) to find a different position for one of them.

Meanwhile midfield continues to be light on for talent.

Several years is a bit extreme. Any good management can turn things around quickly. Seven years is worst case.

Patience doesn't happen in AFL. We either are playing in finals next year or there's gonna be riot in the streets. And as for our football department. Well if we are not playing in finals next year then you might aswell call it a fire department after we burn it all down.

Were not the type of club that takes patience as a excuse for poor form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon in full meltodwn. CEO gone, Simon Madden stepping down from the board.

Besides Nick Martin, is there any other WA boys who are actually any good over there we might be able to prise out while this instability is going on?

EDIT: Looks like Alec Waterman might be the only other WA player there.

There's a difference between having too many mids, and having good mids.
I agree. Quality matters. It matters just about more than anything else and many don't grasp that.

BUT the issue with North is LDU and JHF are similar type players. Apparently (unconfirmed) they have spoken to Warlord 4 times. Adding Warlord when they already have LDU and JHF is stupid IMO. Sheezel or Tsatas is a much better option for them. Imagine Tsatas's speed coupled with LDU and JHF at the centre bounce. That's potential for a premiership winning midfield.

LDU is almost already elite and JHF is tipped to follow. On it's own - that will be enough to find other mids outside the first round who will step up. But then they have Simpkin. Crap foot skills but hard and tough and full of heart. Maybe a Brett Kirk type where his relentlessness allows his kicking to be overlooked. Phillips is a high draft pick at #3 so could still develop.

They have the quality in their midfield, just need to wait for them to mature. Based on this, I have them 6th in line for the flag. Clarko is going to come in and look like a genius, but make no mistake, he's been given some very good bones. Way better than what Essendon or GWS have to offer.

I agree. Quality matters. It matters just about more than anything else and many don't grasp that.

BUT the issue with North is LDU and JHF are similar type players. Apparently (unconfirmed) they have spoken to Warlord 4 times. Adding Warlord when they already have LDU and JHF is stupid IMO. Sheezel or Tsatas is a much better option for them. Imagine Tsatas's speed coupled with LDU and JHF at the centre bounce. That's potential for a premiership winning midfield.

LDU is almost already elite and JHF is tipped to follow. On it's own - that will be enough to find other mids outside the first round who will step up. But then they have Simpkin. Crap foot skills but hard and tough and full of heart. Maybe a Brett Kirk type where his relentlessness allows his kicking to be overlooked. Phillips is a high draft pick at #3 so could still develop.

They have the quality in their midfield, just need to wait for them to mature. Based on this, I have them 6th in line for the flag. Clarko is going to come in and look like a genius, but make no mistake, he's been given some very good bones. Way better than what Essendon or GWS have to offer.
JHF is highly unlikely to be playing at North in 2024 though.

Their list is in such a state they should just be taking best available. Who cares about positions.

They are also miles from a flag, besides maybe McKay do they even had a key position player worth mentioning?

JHF is highly unlikely to be playing at North in 2024 though.

Their list is in such a state they should just be taking best available. Who cares about positions.

They are also miles from a flag, besides maybe McKay do they even had a key position player worth mentioning?
Larkeys pretty decent as a key forward. He would be kicking way more goals if they got the ball in there enough.

What about their KPP? I don't see Larkey as the one to lead a top four forward line and their KPD really suck.

Essendon in full meltodwn. CEO gone, Simon Madden stepping down from the board.

Besides Nick Martin, is there any other WA boys who are actually any good over there we might be able to prise out while this instability is going on?

EDIT: Looks like Alec Waterman might be the only other WA player there.

I'd be surprised if Waterman isn't delisted by the Bombers shortly

Several years is a bit extreme. Any good management can turn things around quickly. Seven years is worst case.

Patience doesn't happen in AFL. We either are playing in finals next year or there's gonna be riot in the streets. And as for our football department. Well if we are not playing in finals next year then you might aswell call it a fire department after we burn it all down.

Were not the type of club that takes patience as a excuse for poor form.
This rebuild will be no different to the ones post mid 90s and 2007.
It will take time and yes heads will roll. Even the great John Worsfold couldn’t survive a rebuild or Alistar Clarkson for that matter.
In the meantime take the best available talent.
Fitting Bazzo, Edwards and Busslinger into the same defense (with Barrass and Gov there for a few years yet) becomes a problem. We may end up with a Brander situation, where we have to try (and fail) to find a different position for one of them.
e

I agree that this is not a short term build and all effort should be put into building it right.

BUT, the reason we need mids is not "because it's an immediate need". It's because to win a flag you absolutely must have a top 4 midfield. The best players in every team predominantly decide whether they win or lose, week in, week out. Have a look every week at the best players - Neale, Brayshaw, Oliver, Petracca, Miller, Steele etc. It's not a coincidence. The teams with the best top end players (or best set of top end players) generally win more. Touk Miller has been good for a while, now Anderson has come on and Rowell is pretty good. Guess what - they are rising up the ladder. LDU came of age this year. If he keeps coming on and JHF comes on like we think, guess what? They will climb the ladder. People will call Clarko a genius, but the truth is, he has elite players at his disposal.

So we need mids for the reasons above. If you find a core of elite mids, you will climb the ladder.

The whole "Premierships are built around defence" is a largely myth just like "the premiership quarter". It's old school thinking that people just keep repeating without thinking it through. Sure, you have to have a good defence, but it's the midfield that matters. It's hard to have a good defence without a good midfield. Everyone complains about the Brownlow being a "midfielder's medal" but the cold hard truth is, the midfielders are the quarterbacks who control the fortunes of the team.

As for Busslinger, he's probably the safest bet in the draft. To me, looks every bit a 200 game player who could be a multiple AA. There's no real KPF propositions at the pointy end of this draft, and the mids look more on the risky side. But it's much easier to find a gum KPD later in the draft that an elite mid. We're only going to have a limited amount of top 5 picks over the next 3-4 years. We must take every opportunity to try to draft players in the ilk of Oliver, Petracca, Cameron, King etc. We have to leave (close to a sure thing) Busslinger aside a take a risk on a mid. Answer yourself the question: If you spend a top 2 pick this draft on a KPD in Busslinger, where are you going to find the elite mids who can compete with Oliver/Petracca, Neale/McLuggage, Cripps/Walsh, LDU/JHF etc?

Last edited:

Meanwhile midfield continues to be light on for

That’s where trade week comes into play. All I’m saying is if the recruiting guys think the mids this year are vanilla then grab best available talent. We will have plenty of time to grab mids going forward.
Maybe there is a mid thats worth grabbing at pick 2 and we are all happy after draft night

What about their KPP? I don't see Larkey as the one to lead a top four forward line and their KPD really suck.
If I were North, I'd wait another year. I don't think this is the draft to spend a top 5 pick on a KPF let alone #1 pick. I'd be going Sheezel or Tstatas. If they get a front end PP, then Sheezel and Tsatas, or take a punt on a KPF if they get a back end PP.

Larkey is pretty good. They need 1 more gun KPF. Either back end PP, or wait until next year. They will still be bottom 4-ish next year. And Zurhaar - he'll be consistently dangerous if North rise up the ladder. He's the classic "million bucks in a top 4 team" player.

Essendon with a bid at 18 on Davey?

If Keeler was there at our 2nd we would be thinking pretty hard about him. Would be a nice 2nd ruck / forward with English in 3 years.
Essendon don’t need to bid on Davey that early unless they want to match another teams bid ..
Essendon will wait till 3 Rd or 4 th Rd if they have the choice..

** Ok I’m coming from a long way back following this thread , playing catch-up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back