Review Dees v the Blood-Stained angels: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Fritsch would be frustrated. Getting great service in the first half with kicks inside 50 then then we go kick in high to Gawn and BB mode.

Agree we weren't far off though.
Was bizarre. We moved the ball fast in the first quarter to nullify their interceptors and cause mismatches, and then we just stopped.

Honestly, can't be too upset after a game like that. The Swans brought it all night and set a standard that every team would struggle to beat. Credit to them for an incredible performance.

I think we'll win next week, and this will be a huge learning experience for our boys. Their attitude when the tide was against us was poor. Sydney are hungry as sin, they won't give up after a barrage of goals. They just reset and go again. Our players weren't equipped to deal with that, but I reckon for the rest of the finals we will be. Goody will be ropable behind the scenes, even if his presser (which I won't be watching) is the usual stuff.

Good:
  • Oliver - clutch goals and amazing in and under with Trac injured and Viney poor
  • May - masterclass defensively. Shame the Swans decided to stop kicking it to Buddy, it was our main source of rebound
  • Fritsch - was clearly proppy but still performed
  • A few role players did pretty well. Hunt, Harmes and Spargo all did a good job in my eyes.

Bad:
  • Salem, 3 touches after QT. Completely negated.
  • Brayshaw hasn't looked that poor for years. You'd hope he was unwell like Hibberd because he just looked slow and sluggish.
  • Lever - speaking of slow and sluggish. How much damn time do you think you have on the ball?
  • Papley - amazing player, absolute prick.
  • Harmes' forearm on Lloyd. Just unnecessary.
  • Hibberd - like against the Pies, he looked old and slow. Need him for CC next week but don't think he gets a gig in '23.
  • Kozzy - when he's off, he's really off. Where was the manic pressure? KPF's didn't help him which saves him from the ugly.
  • Jackson - dumb ruck craft all night
  • Gawn - just generally poor

Fugly:
  • The attitude. We genuinely seem to just expect other teams to roll over for us, and when they don't we get mouthy and drop our heads at the same time. ******* grind it out like the Swans. 2021 was out the box, you don't just get to win finals because you're more talented.
  • Brown - moved like an absolute truck and didn't do anything to stop either McCartin. I genuinely think he'll hang them up. He can barely run.
  • Neal-Bullen. Taking on tackles when he's no chance to break them and missing 20 metre squaring kicks is all he's good for these days. I've had enough. Chandler, Bedford and Laurie all deserved chances as a pressure HF but Goodwin stuck with him all year for him to make the same skill errors as always.
  • Melksham. It's over, mate. You work so hard to get back in the team and you do that when it really counts. There's no world that he plays next week. Didn't compete for three quarters, and then has three absolute gimmes when we're three goals down and he shits the bed over and over. I just can't imagine how he could have been any worse.

Strong analysis. Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good to see people finally catching on to how bad ANB is.

Trys hard but seriously underdeveloped for a 26 yr old.

Too often, overruns the footy, misses tackles, gets rag rolled, misses targets, loses his feet, can't break a tackle to save himself. Also very poor mark above his head. Basically the complete opposite to a Swans player. Does not have one single key strength.

He looks ok when we beat up on teams but seriously not up to it in clutch games.

The only thing to say in his favour is his role is a bit convoluted by the coaching staff.

As far as tonight goes though he wasn't alone in the mediocrity stakes.

Big ANB fan but yeah, he was absolute shite tonight, I too like Tulip 's summary, thought he pretty much nailed it all.

We still very much need some classy ball users in this side.I dont know how you dont play Bowey next week, get him in there somewhere.

Big picture we need to make it a top priority in the draft, FA and trade week

Big ANB fan but yeah, he was absolute shite tonight, I too like Tulip 's summary, thought he pretty ,much nailed it all.

We still very much need some classy ball users in this side.I dont know how you dont play Bowey next week, get him in there somewhere.
Salem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I'd be looking at trading Salem. Has become a totally liability this year.

Poor Bowey didn't do a lot wrong against Brissy but he would feel pretty annoyed.

Papley is a smug prick but he's also someone I enjoy watching and would kill to have someone of his ilk and arrogance in our team..

Big ANB fan but yeah, he was absolute shite tonight, I too like Tulip 's summary, thought he pretty ,much nailed it all.

I'd even consider Bowey up forward tbh. He's tenacious and can use the footy well under pressure. Against Brisbane though the small forwards will probably lift.

If we are to have any hope in 2022 though I think we need to get a semi-fit McDonald in the side. Even if he is underdone I think we need to consider playing him against Brisbane. It might hurt us in that game but it's big picture, rolling the dice stuff here.

I'd even consider Bowey up forward tbh. He's tenacious and can use the footy well under pressure. Against Brisbane though the small forwards will probably lift.

If we are to have any hope in 2022 though I think we need to get a semi-fit McDonald in the side. Even if he is underdone I think we need to consider playing him against Brisbane. It might hurt us in that game but it's big picture, rolling the dice stuff here.

Would rather see us swing for the fences with JVR than bring 1/4 fit TMac back.

Papley is a smug prick but he's also someone I enjoy watching and would kill to have someone of his ilk and arrogance in our team..

100%... to quote Dwayne, hes is "the firestarter" (genuinely)

Good - Not a bad effort but the team looked intimidated playing at home .
- We get another chance , I hope they don't think all they have to do is turn up .
Bad - So many fumbles , miss directed kicks and handballs . Credit to the Swans , they were good .
Ugly - Could someone explain to Goodwin , if we don't evolve , we are standing still . We are close but appear to being left behind.
- Some players out there think they are better than they are .
- What is our Forward plan? What the hell is supposed to happen down there ?

Could someone explain to Goodwin , if we don't evolve , we are standing still . We are close but appear to being left behind.

such an accurate summary, great line mate.

I'm going to go with the others with being positive. Honestly felt like an almost night, just a feI i umw tweaks away. We had some pretty good momentum as well through the night but we just couldn't sustain it as long as Sydney did. We also gifted Sydney with easy goals while not taking our chances. Some of those chances in the last were gold take them and the game was on. As soon as Sydney scored that first one we were shot. Sydney just needed to grind it out from there.

Though I'm trying to stay positive it's still hard to ignore the negatives. Our Hollywood handball game was hard to watch. Sydney seem to be able to consistently find and out by boot. Would it hurt to just find a short target by kick it rather than handball in circles.

Our team defence seems way off, Sydney kicked 10 goals through the second and 3rd that's way too much. No team was doing that last year. Hickey's goal in the 3rd was disgusting. Swans players loose everywhere eventually resulting to an unmarked Hickey 15 metres out. Gawn get your head in the game.

Mid forward connexion pox again.

Fugly:
  • The attitude. We genuinely seem to just expect other teams to roll over for us, and when they don't we get mouthy and drop our heads at the same time. ******* grind it out like the Swans. 2021 was out the box, you don't just get to win finals because you're more talented.

Agree with alot of what you said except this. Are we more talented than the swans? Even their fringe players kick the ball better than our guns.

I just think this side has peaked and others have reached our level.

Would rather see us swing for the fences with JVR than bring 1/4 fit TMac back.
I'm open to that too.

Having said that, TMac doesn't have to be 100% to make an impact. He might be rough against Brissie but it's a game under his belt. If we somehow miraculously make the GF he has two games under his belt. If he can get to 80% that could be worth it. BBB was very limited tonight. TMacs strength isnt fitness and dominance, its making a contest and playing an unconventional style of footy.

We just have to be bold one way or the other. TMac or JVR, don't care.

I'm going to go with the others with being positive. Honestly felt like an almost night, just a feI i umw tweaks away. We had some pretty good momentum as well through the night but we just couldn't sustain it as long as Sydney did. We also gifted Sydney with easy goals while not taking our chances. Some of those chances in the last were gold take them and the game was on. As soon as Sydney scored that first one we were shot. Sydney just needed to grind it out from there.

Though I'm trying to stay positive it's still hard to ignore the negatives. Our Hollywood handball game was hard to watch. Sydney seem to be able to consistently find and out by boot. Would it hurt to just find a short target by kick it rather than handball in circles.

Our team defence seems way off, Sydney kicked 10 goals through the second and 3rd that's way too much. No team was doing that last year. Hickey's goal in the 3rd was disgusting. Swans players loose everywhere eventually resulting to an unmarked Hickey 15 metres out. Gawn get your head in the game.

Mid forward connexion pox again.
the gap in skill level is undeniable. Forward pressure maybe we can make up if Kossie and co turn up hot but if we run into the Swans in the GF we have to accept the fact that their players are in a different stratosphere when it comes to disposal and cleanliness

Danster's Positive Post:

- We've got the double chance and we're playing Brisbane. And whilst beating Brisbane next week won't tell us anything about how we're truly doing, it gives us a big chance to get our sh!t sorted before we come up against a true flag threat, hopefully the week after. I'm confident we beat Brisbane.

- Back to the game, we lost by 4 goals and played well beneath our best. If it wasn't for some brain fades and some horrendous umpiring then the game would've been much closer. If not in our favour.

- The intensity of the players are there. It didn't drop off. The effort of the players is the main thing that can't be questioned.

- Melbournes issues are so clear that we can comfortably put all of our efforts into improving this. It's forward of centre. It's not only not having the personnel up forward but it's also the way we move the ball into the forward line. Now, I'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible. Brown isn't up to it, the evidence has more than stacked up. We have the evidence to make a change for the good. Yes, I've been banging on about Ben Brown all season. But tonight was maybe the confirmation that maybe the coaches needed.

- Petracca was injured, hopefully he'll be better by next week. And if not, we can rest him and roll the dice. There's no point resting him forward. Due to his goal kicking woes he can't be played in the fwd line. So let's roll the dice and if he can't play a full game in the midfield then it's a good opportunity to rest him.

- Sydney are a good team. We didn't lose to a bad team. They're a team with some of the most dangerous small forwards in the comp (Papley and Heeney).

- I also think Harmes will get off.

- I sat right near Nathan dogga Brown on level 4. He brought his son kynan. Looks like a father/son on the way next year and a dees fan.

Good: Have a look at the diabolical disposal efficiencies below, from mostly important players. It was a bad on the night, but the good is surely the only way collectively is up for next week.

4D87DF97-BD0A-4E21-BCDD-BB292FEDE7D1.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back