Position 2023 Fantasy Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate this line.

Doc :padlock:
Dawson, Daicos & Cumming in the maybe pile. (I'll need one at least
Yeo :padlock:
Day better than the $300k guys but is he $200k better?
$300k guys :drunk: Grim
Rookies - Ginbey, Cowan, Chesser, Wilmot :padlock:, McVee maybe too.

Thinking of going 3 of those rookies on field and running the gauntlet lol
Then I only need 1 guy between Doc & Yeo and 2 mid rooks and can get a 4th premo mid like Jelly instead of a second budget defender.

2 guys between Doc & Yeo seems to equal Worpel at M4, Callaghan M5 and 3 mid rooks.

To an extent I agree with the poster.

If you are picking someone like Dawson at his price, then you are planning to hold onto him all year long, therefore his week to week price fluctuations really shouldn't matter. Same with those selecting Docherty (he won't ever leave D1, with the exception of his bye round).

Value simply becomes a bonus incentive to pick a premium, and a way of splitting those 50/50 calls. If you believe they are comfortable Top 6/8 in their line then they are a good premium selection. If you also believe they have the potential to outscore what they are priced at, then the selection becomes a no-brainer.
As others (including me) have said, ultimately you're picking someone because of their 'value'. There are numerous factors to 'value', the primary one being a players likely scoring output compared to their price. However there are other types of 'value', job security value for mid pricer and rookies, captaincy value for the absolute top line scorers, value over replacement value for guys who are far and away ahead of their line and value if you think they're going to be a 'keeper' and won't need to trade them. For me, the 'keeper' part is the least impactful value consideration other than tertiary value factors such as uniqueness, as yes while they may be a keeper, our limited cash means we can only select so many keepers. It's likely that you can find another player out there who will also be a keeper but has values in other facets. In the Dawson example it's probably something like grabbing Rozee / Gulden in the forward line who could likely equally be keepers but also tick all the other boxes like dollar value upside etc.

As others (including me) have said, ultimately you're picking someone because of their 'value'. There are numerous factors to 'value', the primary one being a players likely scoring output compared to their price. However there are other types of 'value', job security value for mid pricer and rookies, captaincy value for the absolute top line scorers, value over replacement value for guys who are far and away ahead of their line and value if you think they're going to be a 'keeper' and won't need to trade them. For me, the 'keeper' part is the least impactful value consideration other than tertiary value factors such as uniqueness, as yes while they may be a keeper, our limited cash means we can only select so many keepers. It's likely that you can find another player out there who will also be a keeper but has values in other facets. In the Dawson example it's probably something like grabbing Rozee / Gulden in the forward line who could likely equally be keepers but also tick all the other boxes like value upside etc.
Great post
Only disagreement is on keepers
If you can nail 1-2 extra non midfield keepers you are ahead and means you can upgrade mids quicker
Unlikely an underpriced guy will be top 8-10 mid so aim to get a full mid asap then can pick off the top guns.

If you are picking someone like Dawson at his price, then you are planning to hold onto him all year long, therefore his week to week price fluctuations really shouldn't matter. Same with those selecting Docherty (he won't ever leave D1, with the exception of his bye round).

Value simply becomes a bonus incentive to pick a premium, and a way of splitting those 50/50 calls. If you believe they are comfortable Top 6/8 in their line then they are a good premium selection. If you also believe they have the potential to outscore what they are priced at, then the selection becomes a no-brainer.
Still can’t be going with too many of them though. I’ve capped it at a maximum of one per line where I’m happy to take a small loss early or breakeven purely because I think their consistency in 115+ scores is too hard to turn down and it’ll be too hard to get them in during the year. Laird/Doc/Dunks.

Everyone else has to be improving on their price. I think Selby mentioned in one of his earlier podcasts that he only had 2 starting players that didn’t return a profit last year. I think if you’re considering Dawson it has to be in place of Docherty which I don’t think I can gamble on

The biggest worry is that Ridley plays as a key defender. As a 3rd tall that zones off like he did a few years ago, he'd average 85+ quite comfortably. It's more that our key defenders are s**t so he has to play that 1st/2nd kpd role.
As long as Laverde and Zerk play, they should play more of a lockdown role? Not saying they are world beaters but surely Ridley can play as the floater in front of those?

Except, you can't have everyone you want without building your team's value.

First para is spot on.

But the value system only allows for a few good premium selections (keepers), and maybe there is just a couple of these on the Def, Mid and Fwd lines that the Salary cap will allow.

It is generally considered we can throw a blanket over 6 or so defenders after Docherty (stunned he is only at 37% ownership). So as you say, choose the best scorer of that next 6 (is it really Dawson - is what people are saying), or, if you look beyond that six with the most likelihood of some value growth, that is where a significant number of other people are going perhaps and trying to find some more value growth.

I hate this line.

Then I only need 1 guy between Doc & Yeo and 2 mid rooks and can get a 4th premo mid like Jelly instead of a second budget defender.

2 guys between Doc & Yeo seems to equal Worpel at M4, Callaghan M5 and 3 mid rooks.

It's a trickier one than the Fwds that is for sure. That is because there is no obvious 2nd banana. And you can't have them all - yet. That is the challenge. To have enough third, fourth and perhaps a banana skin, to eventually trade three into two. Evidence is everything, but what can be trusted on one praccy and past seasons.

On the best evidence available, you take Constable on trust more than history because he allows you better decisions at D2 - D4. Yeo, on evidence, looks one of those better decisions at D4, leaving D2-D3.

I think you have it covered better than you might realise!

I hate this line.

Cum with me

I hate this line.

Just on Day - I rate him clearly worth the $200k step up from the $300k guys. As you said, they’re garbage. I’m confident Day can go 80 and that would be a big win given his job security and what a terrible line that is.

Just on Day - I rate him clearly worth the $200k step up from the $300k guys. As you said, they’re garbage. I’m confident Day can go 80 and that would be a big win given his job security and what a terrible line that is.
Not sure I trust him to do an 80. More likely 70-75 for mine. Constable I think is obviously the best value for price but probably only plays once or twice. Day probably beats Jones by the 24 required.

It’s a tough one. My biggest concern is Worpel looks s**t at M4 and how do I rectify that lol

My biggest concern is Worpel looks s**t at M4 and how do I rectify that lol
Scared Dont Look GIF by Pablo

Not sure I trust him to do an 80. More likely 70-75 for mine.
Yes but I’m a far better judge than you, how dare you question me like that. If I say he’s averaging 140, then he’s averaging 140 😠

Constable I think is obviously the best value for price but probably only plays once or twice. Day probably beats Jones by the 24 required.
Yeah agree with all of that 100%

t’s a tough one. My biggest concern is Worpel looks s**t at M4 and how do I rectify that lol
Move your D2 down to Day and then plonk all that cash on top of Worpel (or whoever you have behind him at M5… Callaghan?). Since Day is going to average 170 I would think that’s fairly straightforward no? 😊

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but I’m a far better judge than you, how dare you question me like that. If I say he’s averaging 140, then he’s averaging 140 😠

Yeah agree with all of that 100%

Move your D2 down to Day and then plonk all that cash on top of Worpel (or whoever you have behind him at M5… Callaghan?). Since Day is going to average 170 I would think that’s fairly straightforward no? 😊
It is Callaghan at M5. How are you able to view my team? Ffs is nothing sacred anymore? 😞

If you already have Will Day, who else do you go for ?
Bowes likely to get a game ?

Can’t believe I’m even considering this, but with Yeo out, desperate times call for desperate measures. but I’m thinking about putting in the other D. Moore (of the Darcy variety) he’s been our main kick in taker this preseason, and at a tick under $500k it would give me cash to stack the bench. I’m quite reluctant to change some of my other picks so it might be the best balance…. It’s risky too as it would be a mega ultra super PoD

Well this will end up mixing up most defensive lines. I’m now considering some very left field POD options because options are dire
Do you go his WC role replacement? If he was back in the mix for full time midfield it may mean Chesser or someone is fieldable? Or perhaps opens the door for a Duggan or Hunt to score more off halfback?

Do you go his WC role replacement? If he was back in the mix for full time midfield it may mean Chesser or someone is fieldable? Or perhaps opens the door for a Duggan or Hunt to score more off halfback?
You’d definitely think it benefits the other Eagles backs, I’m guessing the way they’ve been talking about Hunt’s speed he could be the guy

Not overthinking this... Yeo straight to McGovern (priced 69) who should make a few bucks for when Yeo comes back.

Winning because it means I avoid rearranging my whole team to find more $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back