Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is making an appearance here also, and probably getting more useful as the season draws to a close and this discussion ramps up

Melbourne would demand pick 7 and Holmes for Oliver from Geelong.

A club like North Melbourne would probably be in the best position to recruit him with a bevy of picks and cap space and a real need to improve quickly.
If Oliver didn’t have a ridiculously long contract attached to him I would do that deal.

Not so fast there PO.
Clarko as coach- enhances their future.
They have many concessions and great picks, as well as a building list.
They have an awesome KF and some great mids/hbf /rising stars already.
Not quite the basket case they have been.
Clarko is yesterdays man. The players know this, they have only been able to convince b-graders to join them recently.

For me Duursma and Watson are passes. If they dropped to us I’d be disappointed if we picked either of them. But each to their own
I could understand the possibility of passing on Watson... but I couldn't see passing on Duursma happening.

I'm also assuming if one of Watson or Duursma was available at our current selection that all the other top-rated kids would be already off the table, so unless we took a smokey or live traded the pick I just couldn't see it happening.

I'd love Duursma to fall to us but can't see it happening.

Still reckon Caddy is the one avail come our pick... But I could see us live trading up with the Dees or GWS if they were happy with us doing it to take Sanders (if Sanders is around one or two picks before us, which isn't an impossibility).

Agree, wtf Vdubs?

Wasn't it literally two years ago the joint was reviewed for having a racist culture? Losing both their president and coach in the process?

That's without mentioning the countless sex, alcohol and/or drug related crimes over the last 10 years? Hell they had Crisp do it this year!!

You can't even say they're winners either, it's still only 3 since 1990. All with huge gaps inbetween.

They're far from the greatest club in our own sport, let alone the country or wide world.

As a side note, it's stuff like this that's why nobody gets along in here. We tear down our own club and prop up everybody else.

Newsflash, they're not that good.
No need to jump at shadows again, Nobody is tearing down our club. I was quoting what was said on SEN about Collingwood, and neglected to insert the " ".

Additionally,
They have a massive membership in this country, ? the largest.
They look after their troubled ones.

I could understand the possibility of passing on Watson... but I couldn't see passing on Duursma happening.

I'm also assuming if one of Watson or Duursma was available at our current selection that all the other top-rated kids would be already off the table, so unless we took a smokey or live traded the pick I just couldn't see it happening.

I'd love Duursma to fall to us but can't see it happening.

Still reckon Caddy is the one avail come our pick... But I could see us live trading up with the Dees or GWS if they were happy with us doing it to take Sanders (if Sanders is around one or two picks before us, which isn't an impossibility).
Agreed, Duursma would complement us perfectly for mine.

Bruhn & Clark as the grunt, giving it out to Duursma & Holmes as the class . He's got a lot of Rozee about him, and we'd basically be copying their setup.

Unless he tanks the combine or interviews though, we're no chance at getting him.

Agree that Watson or Caddy will be the sliders if there is to be one. It'll take someone like Wilson climbing post combine which seems to happen every year, as clubs forget about football and focus on athletic traits.

Watson is brilliant
Yep, maybe so...
I'd take Croft if available before him or even Caddy.
But like I've said previously we should trade back for an extra pick.
Or move up for Riley Sanders as he'd play from Round 1.
FWIW If we/some on here rank Clark so highly, then this bloke is a bigger & better version. GUN.

Bruhn & Clark as the grunt, giving it out to Duursma & Holmes as the class . He's got a lot of Rozee about him, and we'd basically be copying their setup.

Unless he tanks the combine or interviews though, we're no chance at getting him.

Agree that Watson or Caddy will be the sliders if there is to be one. It'll take someone like Wilson climbing post combine which seems to happen every year, as clubs forget about football and focus on athletic traits.
It's getting confusing as to which Duursma posters are referring to.
The Port Duursma is the only one I have seen, and he would be great for us.
The potential draftee Duursma, I know nothing about him, but he is getting good reviews.

I'm sure they had some good players back in the Norm Smith era but modern times, say 90s onwards, they wouldn't have a lot. Stynes, Neitz, Lyon at a stretch if you say his full potential was cut down by injury. Then you basically are at Gawn, Petracca, Oliver.
Fair to say that Melbourne's team of the 20th century was dominated by players from their 6-flag golden era in the 50s and 60s.

Probably the one you missed though is Robbie Flower. He was a superstar in a very poor team in the 70s and 80s.

Other gun players for them before the current team might include Greg Wells, Todd Viney, Greg Healy and Brian Wilson (who like Shane Woewodin won a Brownlow playing for Melbourne, which is one more Brownlow than any of Gawn, Oliver or Petracca have won).

Some stars of the game also played for the Dees even though they made their names elsewhere like Gerard Healy (Sydney), Peter Moore (Collingwood - also won a Brownlow playing for the Dees), Carl Ditterich (St Kilda) and Kelvin Templeton (Footscray).

I do love the look of Wilson.

He not only gets the ball but also hits the scoreboard and has real speed/agility.

I guess my mental is that he just hasn't been rated in the top bunch... but he could be as good as them in the long run.

If we could split and get Wilson + another pick in the 20's it could be ok... But I just don't think Wilson will be around long after our #7 so we'd probably need to split with Dons or the Crows for that to happen.

No need to jump at shadows again, Nobody is tearing down our club. I was quoting what was said on SEN about Collingwood, and neglected to insert the " ".

Additionally,
They have a massive membership in this country, ? the largest.
They look after their troubled ones.
It's still a ridiculous comment. They're not even close.

You can say they look after their troubled ones. A truly great club wouldn't even let the trouble start in the first place. A lot of these acts aren't even victimless crimes.

Mishaps happen everywhere, but the facts are Collingwood are the ones where it KEEPS happening. That's a trend, and it means in some degree that behaviour is allowed within the club.

How many have there been over the last few years? JDG, Howe, Thomas, Keefe, Swan, Johnson, Cloke, Crisp, Sidebottom, Buckley, Didak, Lumumba, Ginnivan, McGuire, Stephenson, Sier, Elliot, Murray.

Whether it's actually true or not, people talk about our club having a 'No dickheads' policy....From that list it seems like Collingwood have a 'Dickheads only' policy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? Best mid and best utility in Sanders and Curtin. Their pick 14 and 19 will be in talls or whatever they see they need.
I think the lack of positional flexibility with Sanders, and the fact that all the clubs ahead of are pretty set for his position, means that Sanders goes at 4 to whoever trades for it.

If he makes it past that then I think it could be welcome to Geelong Riley

Yep, maybe so...
I'd take Croft if available before him or even Caddy.
But like I've said previously we should trade back for an extra pick.
Or move up for Riley Sanders as he'd play from Round 1.
FWIW If we/some on here rank Clark so highly, then this bloke is a bigger & better version. GUN.
I could see any of this happening.

What we do is wide open this year... our pick is right in the zone where we could go either way or just use it.

Trade up for Sanders.
Split to get Wilson + another player in the 20's.
Actually use the pick.
Trade the pick for an experienced player.

Anything could happen and it makes it very interesting.

I could see any of this happening.

What we do is wide open this year... our pick is right in the zone where we could go either way or just use it.

Trade up for Sanders.
Split to get Wilson + another player in the 20's.
Actually use the pick.
Trade the pick for an experienced player.

Anything could happen and it makes it very interesting.
You might be in luck, Wilson feels very 'Wells' IMO.

We don't typically go the big bodied, single position grunt types. We like classy players who can play multiple positions and it helps them play early.

Wilson could start on a forward flank/wing and as he bulks up over the years play a bit more inside like a Rozee or Josh Kelly.

I wouldn't mind splitting to get a Wilson/George Stevens combo. Good Yin/Yang types who can develop and become a duo who cover each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Was it Rory Lobb last year that was no chance of getting traded, Dockers wouldn't entertain it... Then last day it was done..

My point being, what happens now isn't always what has happensled when the final whistle blows, noises might be made about a certain player being off limits, but it's an ever moving landscape and clubs adjust on the fly..
I'm not saying we will get Bailey Smith or anyone, but for anyone who rides this thread with a roller coaster of emotions over every single titbit posted... Perhaps just take things cool and calm until they happen or the clock runs out

I think the lack of positional flexibility with Sanders, and the fact that all the clubs ahead of are pretty set for his position, means that Sanders goes at 4 to whoever trades for it.

If he makes it past that then I think it could be welcome to Geelong Riley
This is what I was thinking too. And if Sanders is as good as people say he is, and a perfect fit for what we need, then he's likely to be more value to us than the combination of whatever is available at 7 and whatever we get back for Esava.

Which is why i think we should demand the best possible pick we can get from Port for Esava (ideally in the 20-25 range) and then trade that along with #7 to Gold Coast in return for #4.

Gold Coast are after points, and #7+#23 = 2,459 points while #4 is only worth 2,034 points. Even better, find a 3rd club interested in pick #7 with some later picks to trade, and load GCS up with even more points. Win-win-win.

Was it Rory Lobb last year that was no chance of getting traded, Dockers wouldn't entertain it... Then last day it was done..

My point being, what happens now isn't always what has happensled when the final whistle blows, noises might be made about a certain player being off limits, but it's an ever moving landscape and clubs adjust on the fly..
I'm not saying we will get Bailey Smith or anyone, but for anyone who rides this thread with a roller coaster of emotions over every single titbit posted... Perhaps just take things cool and calm until they happen or the clock runs out
Good points.

It's all done for show too, whatever news we're getting fed isn't going to be news to the club. They'd know where we stand on what deals we think we can do.

Might as well not pay attention until the last two days tbh. It's all just spitballing until then.

Good points.

It's all done for show too, whatever news we're getting fed isn't going to be news to the club. They'd know where we stand on what deals we think we can do.

Might as well not pay attention until the last two days tbh. It's all just spitballing until then.
Don't get me wrong, the speculation is fun and part of it...
I just don't think there is much point getting too excited or disappointed until something actually happens

Last edited:
If we take Harmes we're just keeping one of our young fellows out of the team; anyway he's a B-grader.
There is no law that says we have to play every player that we recruit.

there is also a Little matter of injuries that always seems to play a part in these things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back