Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is making an appearance here also, and probably getting more useful as the season draws to a close and this discussion ramps up

Piggy Oliver staying at dees .
Thanks for wasting our time .

point break GIF

My personal assessment of our list only (understand opinions differ):

View attachment 1823834

View attachment 1823832

Based on this, I'd be looking for a KPD and ruckman in the trade period/free agency. A huge chunk of our list is in the midfield, at the draft (with later picks) we should look at beefing up KPD and forward stocks.
You a Nate Caddy fan?

A Caddy/Charlie Edwards combo would be very exciting for mine.

View attachment 1823834

View attachment 1823832

Based on this, I'd be looking for a KPD and ruckman in the trade period/free agency. A huge chunk of our list is in the midfield, at the draft (with later picks) we should look at beefing up KPD and forward stocks.

I like your table, it's great work spelling out the groupings and I more or less agree with where players are rated.

I look at it though and come to a diametrically opposed conclusion by taking into account their ages.

The mids we have on the elite tier need more elite mids to do a baton pass to and we need a key forward coming through.

The defenders we have are find but we do need a backup kpd. Ruckmen, sure we're short but I think the MC would just ruck Neale, SDK or Conway regardless of whether they're up to it.

Same table completely different interpretation. Thanks for the good work

View attachment 1823834

View attachment 1823832

Could subtract the number required in each position from the totals to assess surplus depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone heard of Stringer being linked to Geelong? Been rumoured on TR multiple times...

Yep - 4th Sept

FB rumour that Stringer toured the club today - been a couple of years since we last heard that, so sounds about right to start it again

View attachment 1823834

View attachment 1823832

Big year for Stengle coming up to prove he wasn't a one season wonder. The injury held him back this year but he was playing poorly when he got hurt.

Based on 23 season we don't have an A grade midfielder.

Big year for Stengle coming up to prove he wasn't a one season wonder. The injury held him back this year but he was playing poorly when he got hurt.

Based on 23 season we don't have an A grade midfielder.
If we're basing everything off the season just gone then we might as well trade everybody.

I believe they've earned enough credits in the bank to have a mulligan. If we see it again in 2024, then we've got real problems.

There's no point criticizing individuals (particularly young/inexperienced ones) when EVERYBODY was off. The fish rots from the head.

I agree with this assessment. One key defender or ruck goes down with injury and its trouble with a knock on effect in other areas of the ground. Our midfields not perfect but at least we have some youth and depth there. If we don't bring in a ruck and a key defender, its probable our season will be screwed.

If we're basing everything off the season just gone then we might as well trade everybody.

I believe they've earned enough credits in the bank to have a mulligan. If we see it again in 2024, then we've got real problems.

There's no point criticizing individuals (particularly young/inexperienced ones) when EVERYBODY was off. The fish rots from the head.
People also forget that as far as small forwards: 2 combined goals/assists per game is a very good record. Having two smalls (Close + Stengle) contributing that AND having the most creative half forward in the league (Miers) shows we have the tools up forward. Especially once you throw in the 4 marking targets.

What Stengle and Close need to do is get more of the footy up the field and lift their defensive running. They're far from lost causes though.

Dangerfield is going to be able to play A grade games still, over the course of the season I find it difficult to have Danger and Duncan reversing the downward trend and having A grade seasons turning 33 / 34. Guthrie is a mulligan with the injury and might be able to.

Stengle's year, when he was fit, wasn't as big a drop off on his 2022 season as much as people think. Last year before the bye he had 23 goals, this year out of those 12 games he missed four through injury, and only played 36% TOG in another. He still managed 10 goals from 7.3 games.

After the by he kicked goals in 10/11 games to finish with 17 goals, compared to last year's post-bye total of 23 goals. A drop off, but not dramatic.

Dangerfield is going to be able to play A grade games still, over the course of the season I find it difficult to have Danger and Duncan reversing the downward trend and having A grade seasons turning 33 / 34. Guthrie is a mulligan with the injury and might be able to.
I've been a big Duncan fan over many years. That said, I saw some signs last season that make me worried about how quickly the cliff has approached. Out of our ageing players, I have him as one who I'd seriously doubt can deliver a solid batch of A Grade games. He's never been blessed with pace, but I'm more concerned about what role he can actually play.

He can't run through the midfield or play on a wing as the game is just too quick for him and he's easily exposed. There was a time when you could play someone like that off half back but that's now a slingshot run and carry type role, and where most clubs start their attack from.

Dangerfield and Guthrie still have enough explosiveness away from contests (Danger in shorter busts), and Blicavs is an elite runner with ridiculous aerobic capacity, but out of that older crop of players, I'm not sure what Duncan delivers? Sometimes the end comes quickly for some players, and as much as I've loved him as a player, I think I can easily see him falling outside best 22 throughout next year. Perhaps he plays a bit more footy in a sub role.

It's a young mans game as we so often hear........and there's not many spots you can hide blokes on a footy field in today's style of footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back