2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a free hit for the AFL. Massive ratings, attendance & revenue for a stinker of a game every year.
I have always thought it was the only time both Carlton and Richmond fans could have hope for the season.

At the end of the game one club loses and realises they aren't up to it, by the end of round one the winner sees that other clubs are pretty good too, and by round two the winner of Carlton and Richmond experiences their own coup de grace.

Has there been a more uninspiring captain than Marc Murphy? The bloke seems to have succeeded based on his under 16 form and still riding those waves. Average player and worse leader.
Mundy 10x better as captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last nights game was as boring as bat s**t, no intensity or pressure . Those who like these uninspiring shootouts and judge all games by whether a 100 pts are scored would have been in their net balling element.
To be fair both team field a pretty young team , I will be concern if mid season they still play the same brand of footy . I also though no third man up actually pretty good for both team ruckmen fair and square

I have a strong preference for contested football but only when it is paired by at least some level of skill - ie not just contested because it is just win the ball and bomb it forward, rinse and repeat. I don't personally like watching the teams that kick it around like a game of "keepy-off" and I don't get the AFL's obsession with trying to kill any and all congestion. Congestion is where some of the best moments in the game happen - a player charging out of a pack with the ball, someone launching for a speccy over a pack, a small forward snapping a goal whilst surrounded by defenders, a player weaving their magic through a group of players. On the flip side fast transition from the back line through to a goal on a fast lead is pretty exciting to watch but the best ones almost always have at least one moment of brilliance where someone wins a contested possession, that allows it to happen. Without the contests it's a bit like watching a slow game of netball on a massive court.

I didn't mind last night's game but probably only because it was the first game of the season which means footy is back. I very much doubt I would have sat through it if it were mid season.

I have a strong preference for contested football but only when it is paired by at least some level of skill - ie not just contested because it is just win the ball and bomb it forward, rinse and repeat. I don't personally like watching the teams that kick it around like a game of "keepy-off" and I don't get the AFL's obsession with trying to kill any and all congestion. Congestion is where some of the best moments in the game happen - a player charging out of a pack with the ball, someone launching for a speccy over a pack, a small forward snapping a goal whilst surrounded by defenders, a player weaving their magic through a group of players. On the flip side fast transition from the back line through to a goal on a fast lead is pretty exciting to watch but the best ones almost always have at least one moment of brilliance where someone wins a contested possession, that allows it to happen. Without the contests it's a bit like watching a slow game of netball on a massive court.

I didn't mind last night's game but probably only because it was the first game of the season which means footy is back. I very much doubt I would have sat through it if it were mid season.

Isn't that half of freo's game? Get the lead and then just kick it back and forth along half-back. Eventually kicking it to Dawson, who turns over the ball and the lead with it?

Isn't that half of freo's game? Get the lead and then just kick it back and forth along half-back. Eventually kicking it to Dawson, who turns over the ball and the lead with it?
Exactly, and I hate it. I also hate the work hard to win the ball and then just bomb it in hope strategy. Awful to watch! What I think works best is run and skills coming out of the back half, contested winners in the centre and some 'magic' players in the front half (and maybe a couple of quality KPFs). We have some of that formula at least.

Ross got the best out of him.

That's one way of looking at it.

Another way of looking it is that we just kept picking him despite him being complete s**t for 2 years.

Personally not surprised at all that Mayne couldn't get a game there. Never really known what anybody sees in him, I guess Collingwood had to find that out the hard way.

Another way of looking it is that we just kept picking him despite him being complete s**t for 2 years.

Personally not surprised at all that Mayne couldn't get a game there. Never really known what anybody sees in him, I guess Collingwood had to find that out the hard way.
His output is a lot better than Tab.

I wonder if Collingwood not picking him will cause any moments of reflection at Fremantle about their selection strategies...eg "He cant have gone that far backward in one off season...so maybe he was poor all along and we shouldn't have picked him...who else are we picking that others wouldn't?"

I wonder if Collingwood not picking him will cause any moments of reflection at Fremantle about their selection strategies...eg "He cant have gone that far backward in one off season...so maybe he was poor all along and we shouldn't have picked him...who else are we picking that others wouldn't?"

We were picking him before we had the likes of Kirsten and McCarthy. Take those two blokes out, and as Meima states above, Mayne would be in front of Tabs (deservedly so), so likely we'd still be picking him if we had him.

Kirsten and McCarthy basically replace Pav and Yarran so the only pressure on Mayne, if he was still with us, is whether Griffin pays off as a Hale-type ruck-forward (fingers crossed he does) or whether Apeness can get on the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back