List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about Geelong bringing in Isaac Smith and Shaun Higgins, both of whom will both be 33 next year. Dad’s Army. Has there ever been an older team? It reeks of desperation.

If you were a talented young player there, and they have shelved you, then you’d want to get out of there.

Jordan Clark has 2 years left on his contract and is rotting playing scratch matches. He’s from WA but Trade Radio said he wants to stay in Victoria.

Is he worth looking at? Every time I’ve watched him play he has been very impressive.

Absolutely would target him. Clark looks the goods. Also has there been confirmation on Higgins to Geelong or is it just widely assumed he’ll go there. I know it’s Geelong but I still find it hard to believe they’d bring both Smith and Higgins in this off season.

How about Geelong bringing in Isaac Smith and Shaun Higgins, both of whom will both be 33 next year. Dad’s Army. Has there ever been an older team? It reeks of desperation.

If you were a talented young player there, and they have shelved you, then you’d want to get out of there.

Jordan Clark has 2 years left on his contract and is rotting playing scratch matches. He’s from WA but Trade Radio said he wants to stay in Victoria.

Is he worth looking at? Every time I’ve watched him play he has been very impressive.

If they don't snatch a flag out of this it is going to look extremely bad, hopefully there's a monstrous cliff fast approaching that team.

So my trade radio summary for those not able to listen.

Mo Hope and her partner are having a baby she may be worried about the safety of her car as she is eating the all new McDonalds Chicken Parmi whilst driving.

And some Essendon tragic who may or may not give a stuff about St Kilda is justifying Band 1 compo for Essendon for Daniher based on potential which has nothing to do with the calculation. Thought he was going to say it was Mabo or the vibe.

I heard someone call in and very articulately explained to them how free agency actual works.
They cut him off.
Apparently compensation is determined by a few people sitting round going ...."ohhhh yeah jo daniher...i reckon he's worth about ......"

Some poor guy on SEN is trying to explain that North is a destination club.
Is his name Luke McDonald?

I watched the 2009 St Kilda season DVD the other week when it popped up as suggested on YouTube. We really were a ridiculous team.

Regularly thumping teams by 15 goals.
Having 4+ mids racking up 30-35 touches most weeks.
Riewoldt unstoppable.
Didn’t lose a game until round 20.
We only lost 3 games for the year for a combined margin of 19 points.

3 games. That’s it. Roo missed after the siren against the Dons and lost by 2. The next week Roo launched a 55 metre bomb to tie the game being 6 points down with less than a minute left and a North player just got there and touched it and lost by 5. And then the big dance, Hawkin’s poster called a goal, Rooke kicking a goal after the siren which I don’t really count... lost by 12 but anything could’ve happened in that centre square moment...

Has any other team in history gone as close to a completely undefeated season as we did that year?

25 games for only 3 losses totalling 19 points fmd. We would’ve cleaned up the past 5 grand finals if that team was running out today.

Yeah but they cheated.

I'm hearing its not cumulative.
Of course with 3 picks at the start of the 2nd round they could probably find someone to sell them a first rounder.

I think it is important that we all familiarise ourselves with the official rules before speculating

AFL Rules said:
.17.6 Compensation
(a) Where in a particular year one or more Free Agent(s) under Rule 17.1(a) and
Rule 17.2(b) and/or Restricted Free Agent(s) move from a Club’s Playing List
(the first mentioned Club) to the Playing List of one or more other Clubs pursuant
to the operation of Rule 17.4 or 17.5, the first mentioned Club may be entitled to
a compensatory selection(s) in the next occurring National Draft Selection
Meeting as follows:
(i) any compensatory selection(s) shall be allocated in accordance with
guidelines determined by the AFL;
(ii) National Draft Selections will be allocated to one of five places:
(A) First round;
(B) End of First Round;
(C) Second Round;
(D) End of Second Round;
(E) Third Round;
(iii) a National Draft Selection allocated under Rule 17.6(a)(ii)(A), (C) or (E)
shall be taken by the Club immediately after the Club’s selection in that
Round (as determined by Rule 6.2(b));

The guidelines made publicly available state:

AFL Guidelines said:
Compensation
A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.

What does it all mean? Essentially, the AFL can make it up as they go along. They plug the variables into the formula that dictated the compensation, however, if it is thought to be too high or too low, they can amend it.

Nowhere does it state how the formula accounts for multiple player movements. However as the guidelines refer to compensation being based on the "net" losses, I would suggest that it must be a cumulative issue. The only precedence we have for a club losing multiple players was back in the old system, Melbourne were given two 3rd round picks, however even if it were in the current system, it would neither confirm, not deny the cumulative effect.

So, that's the rules and precedence out of the way. The following will be purely my speculation.

The fact that the Draft Value Index (DVI) was updated at the same time as the free agency process was updated, to me suggests that there is a likely relationship.

The highest draft pick available under the FA system is pick 2 which has a DVI of approximately 2500 (rounded). To me, this suggests that the maximum number the formula can spot out for a single player is 2500. To get that, you would need to be in the 99th percentile for salary and 25 years old.

I believe that each player coming in and coming out gets a score using thisula. A clubs compensation will be calculated based on the net outcome of their FA movement.

There are other questions at hand:
- Is the banding a set DVI price or would Adelaide need the formula to provide a higher score than Richmond?
- Are clubs told what the formula is ahead of time to allow them to make informed decisions

I think Adelaide losing a few players works in our advantage, not only because it increases the net loss during FA movements, but also because it gives the AFL an excuse for why a player like Crouch attracted top banding. It doesn't make it look like the system was gamed.

Adelaide will not match, I'm very confident of this.

We will sign him as a FA. If we get him for $600k and they miss out on band 1 then I would expect we trade them Dunstan for unders. If we have to raise our bid to guarantee bid 1, then we trade them salary dump for overs (DMac please).

But I am confident that the AFL will confirm our bid will give Adelaide band 1 compo thanks to the assist from GC signing Atkins.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

I’m going to enjoy nothing more than seeing their group of floppy, ageing flogs go shuffling into the sunset without the ultimate success
D3977EEA-C011-4CC3-B9CD-9AF0B5BF0BE5.gif

It’s sensational, afl is just getting funnier by the day.

I think I’ll put on golden gordon for a laugh, geelong must think their collecting swap cards.

Absolutely would target him. Clark looks the goods. Also has there been confirmation on Higgins to Geelong or is it just widely assumed he’ll go there. I know it’s Geelong but I still find it hard to believe they’d bring both Smith and Higgins in this off season.

Apparently Higgins is a done deal. It will be one of those deals done late.

Geelong will have about eleven players in their best 22 over 30 years of age, and a number over 27. Their kids won’t get a game. No way would Clark be best served staying there.

Next year Geelong have moved all of their chips into the centre of the pot. Then over the cliff they go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that even basic free agent comp structure is clear as mud (e.g. singular vs cumulative) just shows what a rabble the AFL is. it's one of the most amateurish run sports i've ever seen. bunch of clowns that just make sht up as they go

couldnt agree more

how about the trading of future picks where geelong broke the rules, enquired with the AFL and they were basically like "ohhh * we didnt consider that i guess you can do it?!?"

I will honestly buy a North Melbourne membership next season if they hire Banger. The bloke deserves a gig, and sadly, I think this is his only shot. The industry has determined he is not up to it so would love to see him prove them wrong by succeeding in the job that nobody wanted (not at our expense of course).
I’ll buy an interstate membership AND a polo 👕

Here's our mate buttons in 2018 on how awesome mitch mcgovern is:

Given he's under contract and a good player with a high ceiling he's worth between 10-15.

get it done SOS. and fellow Carlton fans please be more realistic from now on

He's very good at talking to his 'fellow carlton fans'
Haha, what a sad case.

Seriously when are people gonna get their head out of the sand about players doing coke? EVERYONE DOES COKE. Bloody hell doesn’t make you a bad person. Some players just get caught.
Everyone doesn't do Coke , what a stupid thing to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back