Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

I have no idea, but if one qualifies and one does not, I suspect so.

Not exactly privy to contracts within the Swans
That just... cannot be the case.

If it is then to paraphrase an earlier debate I had with someone, I actually would pack Hayward's bags and drive him to the airport myself.

If it is then to paraphrase an earlier debate I had with someone, I actually would pack Hayward's bags and drive him to the airport myself.
Luke Skywalker GIF by Star Wars

the dude your opinion GIF

It's not as bad as you think probably does the team things that no one sees more than others. Every club has a weird one inside the top 25

Stunned to hear the versatile forward happy to sacrifice his attacking game to make defensive contributions and was fastest to 50 goals since Buddy has got a decent contract.

Surely "maybe having the ball isn't better than not having it" man is right and Hayward is actually not a good player.

I am still adjusting to the idea players are paid more than £3 and a shilling a week.

A fixed Pleasant Sunday Morning raffle to help a player with a newborn and the arvo at the Middle Park Hotel chewing pigs trotters and drinking discount booze liberated from the docks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also backending and frontending other players contracts might have an effect on who is in the top 25%.
Exactly.

To quote the AFL;
The top 25 per cent of players on a club's list (top 9-10 paid players) are based on the guaranteed contract values in the relevant contract year (including ASAs).

That's a pretty bad take.

Someone suggested that part of the reason Hayward doesn't always kick straight is because of the amount of running he does and hes exhausted.
How good was Haywards 1st goal on the weekend (Swans 2 goals down very early, so a crucial goal), a banana from 45m out. He was breathing hard! Watching on tv, I hadn't spotted him, but seeing how hard he was breathing, strongly suggests just how hard he was working for the team.
Shame c88 you dont get to watch any live games, otherwise your opinion of Hayward might change. Maybe a blessing in disguise as you cant drive him to the airport because you're on the other side of the planet

Now I know why Hayward's kicking is so inconsistent, must be the bundles of cash in his pockets.

said completely in jest
I know it was said in jest. But half forward for a medium is IMO one of the hardest positions to shine in.
Talls take the marks. Smalls get the crumbs. Mids compete with you for the other goals. Mids get more of the ball and you get less.
Your stats don't look good compared to the mids. It is a graveyard. Cunningham was once one and was dropped. Heeney was once one and now everyone wants him to play mids.

I know it was said in jest. But half forward for a medium is IMO one of the hardest positions to shine in.
Talls take the marks. Smalls get the crumbs. Mids compete with you for the other goals. Mids get more of the ball and you get less.
Your stats don't look good compared to the mids. It is a graveyard. Cunningham was once one and was dropped. Heeney was once one and now everyone wants him to play mids.
I'm on the Hayward bandwagon. He's been very consistent in the role and does great work around the ground as well. Has an odd game where the pitch forks come out, but his 2024 form is shaping to be equal to or better than his 2022 form. Which was really consistent.

Hayward plays a more demanding role than Florent but has not been as good. Florent has finished top 10 in our B&F 3 or 4 years straight (getting slightly higher each time). Has Hayward ever finished top 10?

Anyway, despite that, I rate them both and put them both in our middle tier best 22/3 players (e.g. that 11-18 range). But neither is indispensable and Gulden, Logan & Rowy are higher priority re-signings.

Brief mention on the "Tradies" (Mitch Cleary and Sam McClure) podcast St Kilda are chasing Ollie (again) - apparently they have a "war chest" and his name was mentioned amongst others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back