Traded 17. Esava Ratugolea (2017 -2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea Turbo...me too. In the highlights, every set shot went virtually over the umpires hat.

So his set shots look ok.

His first shot in the below video is interesting at best:

Had one game in the champs where he had one kick, one handball at 0% DE. But he has some very nice attributes.

Highlights are obviously the best of his work and not always a true reflection of the player

That said a few of those marks on the wings with him flying in the from the side are really impressive.. and one he plucked like a dry footy in the clear rain against the Falcons is enough to get me a little excited.
Clearly raw.. clearly something there

A: If Blitz can learn to play footy in two years.........
B: Kicking prowess is important, but Nic Nat is a s**t kick and most people think is a reasonable player.
C: He Doesn't seem to be carrying any injury history, and that's nice.
D: Id rather take a risk on player who could be anything at pick 43, then spend it on a safer less dynamic option(who is unlikely to play many games anyway based on historical trends).

I like the pick. But hey, I'm no expert and even the experts are really just guessing so fingers crossed, hopefully we picked up a keeper or two out of this years draft.

Maybe he is raw enough to do that but I dread the thought of spending picks on someone you have to rebuild something as important as kicking. How often does it work. They can improve but rarely does a bad kick become a good one. I look at this kid and see a player who will be kicking for goal with dread in his guts. They can get away with it as a kid but with the attention and focus they get in the big time.. it can be damaging.. ask Mooney , Richardson ... Kent Kingsley could have been an a grade player if he could have kicked accurately.
I know he has had big goal haul number in games... perhaps he has the potential to get better. Plenty of time to see as I feel he is a multi year project player.
Richo kicked 800 goals. Just sayin'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good with this hands. :thumbsu:

I probably see more upside in this guy than Buzza based on the limited footage. This guy is quick and can leap, he also is a better contested mark.

John Butcher can take a mark. Can't kick can't learn to kick. However some kids have been playing football forever instinctively and some like Buzza are still learning. I think the purely instinctive players don't really change. No idea where Esava sits in this.

Big men are a lottery. No doubt about that. At least he looks proper big and fun to watch.
John Butcher's kicking issues were between his ears, in front of goal. He was a really good field kick and kicked 31.11 in his first 20 games of AFL - then got the yips, permanantly. I'm surprised they didn't trial him in the backline with his marking ability and athleticism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back