Traded 17. Esava Ratugolea (2017 -2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of nice grabs from Sav in the opening minutes of this video.

Bit of class from E Rat, Cuncio, Hyphen, Jones and Buzza in that clip. Lang too...

GO Catters

A couple of nice grabs from Sav in the opening minutes of this video.

You're right, nice grabs. He (Sav) also seems to work well with Buzz, an awareness of where the other is and pin pointing the kick.

Liked what I seen from Cunico & Jones in this vid, thanks 4 sharing.

Last edited:
Early rising star odds for 2019:

Esava Ratugolea (Geelong) $13 TAB

After seven games, Geelong forward Esava Ratugolea had seven goals to his name from 14 shots and was proving a headache for opposition defenders. How many goals would he have ended up kicking had he not broken his ankle? The big Cat has recovered from last year’s blow and is back in training, eyeing a Round 1 return. There is no doubt Geelong’s forward line looked better when Ratugolea was in it, boasting a 6-2 record in those eight games. Magpie Jaidyn Stephenson won last season’s Rising Star after kicking 38 goals. If Ratugolea can get into the 40-45 region, he will be in the mix.

After seven games, Geelong forward Esava Ratugolea had seven goals to his name from 14 shots and was proving a headache for opposition defenders. How many goals would he have ended up kicking had he not broken his ankle? The big Cat has recovered from last year’s blow and is back in training, eyeing a Round 1 return. There is no doubt Geelong’s forward line looked better when Ratugolea was in it, boasting a 6-2 record in those eight games. Magpie Jaidyn Stephenson won last season’s Rising Star after kicking 38 goals. If Ratugolea can get into the 40-45 region, he will be in the mix.
If he can kick 40-45 he'll be in the mix. :drunk:

If he kicks that many he's a monty.

If he can kick 40-45 he'll be in the mix. :drunk:

If he kicks that many he's a monty.

He could also end up our leading goal kicker if he kicks 40 - 45; takes the pressure of Hawkins where he can then play further up the ground where he tends to have a good impact on matches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just half of that would be a good start

Yes....this board needs to be careful not to overrate Sav.....he's got a way to go before he's a 45 goal forward IMO...

Like him a lot though...
To be fair, 45 isn't from anyone on this board and I think most would look at that number as a fairly insane suggestion.

I had no idea Stephenson kicked that many goals in his first year, that's amazing.

Coaching great Leigh Matthews has urged Geelong coach Chris Scott to persist with playing Esava Ratugolea in the ruck.

How Geelong uses the versatile big man as part of their ruck setup remains one of the key questions heading into the second half of the season, with Matthews hoping to see more of him as a ruckman.

“Part of the coaching art is when to persevere and when to make a change,” he said on Sportsday.

“I think he can improve that little bit with the experience of a couple more months of rucking.

“That’s a persevere (option) for me.”

Read the whole article at the link below.

The move which Matthews believes makes Geelong a “much better team” (sen.com.au)

Mathews doesn't have to urge Chris Scott to persevere with Esava.....Scott has made it quite clear that if it was solely his choice, Esava would play every game.

So have no doubt...Esava will be on the team sheet every week, barring injury and "management" decisions.

He will drift forward under instruction, but i suspect play mainly in the ruck.

Personally I think thats the optimal usage of Esava's skills right now.

If he can deliver even a modicum of decent set shot ability he'll be some weapon.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back