Toast 2014 National Draft, pick #31 - welcome to Hawthorn Daniel Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

:p:p:p

Absolutely the worst team mugshot ever...
MORABITO%20Anthony_main2.JPG

Echoing my comments from the autopsy. Do those angry posters who were writing him off 6-8 weeks ago (remember reading he was the worst player to ever play for us?) want to come in here and admit they were unbelievably wrong?

Mate, haven't seen any of those posters since we beat the crows. They're probably hanging out and hoping for a loss so they can post their crap again.
Keep winning and that will keep the board positive.:):thumbsu::rainbow:

Scott Pendlebury - 21 D (11K, 10HB), 71.4% DE, 3 CL, 3 TKL, 1 1%er

Daniel Howe - 26 D (13K, 13HB), 88.5% DE, 8 CL, 8 TKL, 5 1%er

Stopping Sloane was one thing. Stopping Pendlebury AND getting his own is on another level.

As an admitted Howe 'doubter', I really hope he can build off these last 2 games and really grab these midfield minutes by the balls.

Any coincidence that since he has moved to the midfield our clearances have improved?

Any coincidence that since he has moved to the midfield our clearances have improved?

Also funny how Mitchell seems suddenly more 'impactful' when he has some in form, confident mates around him to dish it off to...

The only problem this week is which GWS mid do you even send him to? They aren't short of top line centre square players.

Love how he is learning to run to the right spots courtesy of running with Sloane and Pendles. I just hope he is given a license to hunt more of his own footy, I think Shiels is a victim of playing too long in the negating role.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Looking at yesterday's stats, you would be forgiven if you thought Pendles was tagging him...

Spoke with someone from Dan's family on Friday night and they said the biggest difference for him this year is that he knows come Thursday that he will be named in the side.

He is playing like a man who knows he belongs at this level now.
If people could indulge me for a second, I did say a long time ago that the only thing holding him back was not feeling like it was "his team", and that when it did happen that he would take the game on.

If people could indulge me for a second, I did say a long time ago that the only thing holding him back was not feeling like it was "his team", and that when it did happen that he would take the game on.

He just needed a run of games and no injuries. The talent was always on display.

If only JOR could get 8 or 10 games unimpeded.

Also funny how Mitchell seems suddenly more 'impactful' when he has some in form, confident mates around him to dish it off to...

The only problem this week is which GWS mid do you even send him to? They aren't short of top line centre square players.
We let him run loose and force them to tag him. simple.

I remember his debut game in tassie where he racked up 10+ possies in a quarter after getting subbed in. He backed it up the next few games. This guy has an uncanny ability to get to the right spots which combined with his size is going to be a huge asset. Loving his work at the moment and yes that pies game I was super impressed with his 1%ters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just needed a run of games and no injuries. The talent was always on display.

If only JOR could get 8 or 10 games unimpeded.
While that's an aspect of it there is alot of psychology behind where you see yourself in relation to the team. Not going for the ball or doing something on instinct because you're second guessing yourself as you don't want to get in someone like Jordan Lewis or Sam Mitchell's way. Now they've vacated he has the freedom to play as if it's his team.

This isn't to say Lewis or Mitchell would be saying "stay out of my way kid" or anything. It's just a mentality thing. Like not feeling like a "real adult" until you've moved out of home or got a full time career.

Lorraine McFly is still as hot as she was in 1985. No time machine required.

Always had a massive Lea Thompson thing growing up - used to watch that lame sitcom she was in only for her.

Has always been able to win the easy ball. Could get to the right spots, hit up short leads. In the last month he's started to win the hard ball.

I'm a believer now. Give him another full season to learn and gain confidence and I reckon he will be primed to hit 2019 with force.

Back To The Future is on - bit of a resemblance to a young Crispin Glover.

View attachment 392774
You are my density.

I've seen better pick up lines. For example, "F**k me if I'm wrong, but is your name Kevin?" Chances are he's going to be wrong.

So over the last month I think we would have all noticed that Daniel Howe's big body has made a difference in the midfield. Since the Adelaide game he has been given more license to go through the centre often tagging one of the oppositions best midfielders to draw him to the ball. I thought this was a big reason for Hawthorn's recent turnaround in form. So I decided to check if his was just optics, or whether there actually has been a marked difference in our ability to win contested possessions and clearances over the last four rounds.

What you're seeing below is how much better or worse Hawthorn's contested possession/clearance differential was that round, compared to the opposition's average for the season. Basically higher numbers = good, lower numbers = bad.

Adjusted CP diff.png

Adjusted CL diff.png

And as expected, over the last four rounds there has been substantial improvement in both departments. I think having that big body in the contest can also have flow on effects in these areas even when Daniel himself isn't winning the ball; the ability to block out opponents, reach/stature preventing handballs over the top etc.

Other posters have pointed to a change in our set up at stoppages (where players are positioned relative to the contest, how many players are committing to winning the ball/tackle) which could definitely be having an impact also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back