Banter 2017 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah both great wins. Just that in both games Rugg& Bews were both playing, we had at least one less tall defender, 2nd game we also had one less ruck.
I was surprised scotty stood fat with the tall back line other then those couple of occasions. It was like he dug himself a hole with it, despite the success of the two smalls down back

Bews, Lonergan, Kolodjashnij
Thurlow, Henderson, Tuohy
Duncan, J. Selwood, Menegola
Cockatoo, Taylor, Gregson
McCarthy, Hawkins, Menzel
Smith, Dangerfield, Guthrie
Interchange from: Stanley, S. Selwood, Cowan, Blicavs, Ruggles, Motlop, Lang, Mackie

But if Clark finds form:

Bews, Lonergan, Henderson
Thurlow, Taylor, Tuohy
Duncan, J. Selwood, Menegola
Cockatoo, Clark, Gregson
McCarthy, Hawkins, Menzel
Smith, Dangerfield, Guthrie
Interchange from: S. Selwood, Cowan, Blicavs, Kolodjashnij, Stanley, Ruggles, Motlop, Lang, Mackie

Ah *, I don't know.

How would our Forward line structure look if Porkins gets rubbed out for a week or two by the tribunal? I would take the assumption Clark & Black still not ready or available for selection.

And If you do move in Taylor and/or Henderson up forward who are the players that you bring into the backline as the taller defenders?

How would our Forward line structure look if Porkins gets rubbed out for a week or two by the tribunal? I would take the assumption Clark & Black still not ready or available for selection.

And If you do move in Taylor and/or Henderson up forward who are the players that you bring into the backline as the taller defenders?
Might have to do something creative like Stanley at CHF and Menzel at FF.

If Taylor was to go forward, then Hendo, Lonners and Kolo as the tall defenders.

It happened this year already. Stanley played as a decoy CHF and Menzel played at fullforward

That is mean Pussy.

B: Ruggles Lonergan Kolodajsni
HB: Thurlow Henderson Guthrie
C: Cockatoo Menegola Touhy
HF: Menzel Taylor Duncan
F: McCarthy Hawkins Gregson
R: Stanley Dangerfield Selwood
I: Blixcavs Cowan Motlop S Selwood

Em: Bews Lang Mackie

- Taylor is no centre half forward but I don't think anyone else is either

Might have to do something creative like Stanley at CHF and Menzel at FF.

If Taylor was to go forward, then Hendo, Lonners and Kolo as the tall defenders.

So basically you are saying in the forward line you would play another mid size or small size foward. So for example you would have something looking like this?

Motlop Stanley Cockatoo
McCarthy Menzel Gregson

So basically you are saying in the forward line you would play another mid size or small size foward. So for example you would have something looking like this?

Motlop Stanley Cockatoo
McCarthy Menzel Gregson
Yeah something like that. Even with Hawkins in the team, I think our best option with the players we have is to go mobile around him. Especially need pacey guys on the flanks who can lead up hard and run the other way. Hawk at CHF and Menzel at FF would be ballsy. Bartel and Caddy out for say Gregson and Cockatoo helps already. The other four mainstays from this year should stay - a better collection of pure forwards than say 2013-2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah something like that. Even with Hawkins in the team, I think our best option with the players we have is to go mobile around him. Especially need pacey guys on the flanks who can lead up hard and run the other way. Hawk at CHF and Menzel at FF would be ballsy. Bartel and Caddy out for say Gregson and Cockatoo helps already. The other four mainstays from this year should stay - a better collection of pure forwards than say 2013-2015.

Makes sense to me.
I kind of like the potential pace we can inject into that forward line as well with a few blokes on our list.
Hate the Hawks but it's a bit similar to a structure they played most of this season as Gunston as FF.

Where is Mackie going to play? It has to be wing or fwd imo. He can help out down back but he needs to provide something different or doesn't play at all imo.

The back half needs Thurlow and Touhy desperately to provide run. Henderson and Kolo to lock down key forwards. Bews and Ruggles nose to the ground.

Blicavs is the interesting one, on a wing i reckon with Cowan the other.

On ballers consisting of Smith, Danderfield, Selwood x 2, Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola.

Scoring power from Hawkins, Menzel, Motlop, Cockatoo.

Small fwds Gregson and McCarthy.

Forward Ruckman Stanley.

Where is Mackie going to play? It has to be wing or fwd imo. He can help out down back but he needs to provide something different or doesn't play at all imo.

The back half needs Thurlow and Touhy desperately to provide run. Henderson and Kolo to lock down key forwards. Bews and Ruggles nose to the ground.

Blicavs is the interesting one, on a wing i reckon with Cowan the other.

On ballers consisting of Smith, Danderfield, Selwood x 2, Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola.

Scoring power from Hawkins, Menzel, Motlop, Cockatoo.

Small fwds Gregson and McCarthy.

Forward Ruckman Stanley.

Mackie? VFL

Blicavs? 2nd ruck or VFL

Leaves the depth side as:

B: Ruggles Gardner xxx
HB: Cunico xxx O'Connor
C: Lang GHS Cowan
HF: Murdoch Black Gregson
F: Parsons Buzza Waybill
R: Clark? Luxford? xxx

Got some work to do at the draft.

I think a few of those will be regular starters in our best 22.

FB Kestrel, Ruggles, Baby Chat
HB Mackie, Desiree, King Edward
C Selwood, Danger, Menegola
HF Atlantic, Coliban, Unwashed
F Brushed, Menzel, Kipfler
I/R Eureka, Dutch Cream, Golden Delight, Red rascal

I am not against DFA's although don't like Everitt to me he has failed at 3 clubs. Henderson is different as still was a decent player this year and fills a specific need as a running HBF. I am also not against getting a depth ruck as a DFA if Clark gets punted. We don't have a lot of senior list spots though (compared to the rookie list which we have largely cleared out). We have 34 on the senior list I imagine we will run at 38 again with the two extra rookies. 38 40 42 and need to be live selections and Tom Stewart probably has to be taken at 64 if we want him and we might need to take Sam Simpson in the ND if he gets bid on so that would mean entering the draft with no more than 33 on the senior list. So either Clark or Luxford (possibly both might go) but if Ruggles gets elevated spots are tight.

Whereas later on as rookies we could add some mature guys and I like the idea of adding geelong vfl guys who are familiar with the club and its systems I think that helps their chances of succeeding early on like Ruggles has.

Agree on your draft predictions. Cockatoo should play every game next year (and I think will) as he shows the right attitude, Lang seems to coast sometimes so I want to make him work harder but if he puts in the work he needs to play a lot of games next year.
Be worth taking Everitt just so he doesn't pop up again and kick his biggest tally for the year against us and help his side win

Struggling with this a bit

B: Jed Bews - Lachlan Henderson - Harry Taylor
HB: Jackson Thurlow - Jake Kolodjashnij - Zach Touhy
C: Cam Guthrie - Joel Selwood - Mitch Duncan
HF: Steven Motlop - Rhys Stanley - Sam Menengola
F: Lincoln McCarthy - Tom Hawkins - Daniel Menzel
Ruck: Zac Smith - Patrick Dangerfield - Nakia Cockatoo
Inter: Andrew Mackie - Scott Selwood - Mark Blicavs - Darcy Lang

Em: Tom Ruggles - Josh Cowan - Tom Lonergan

I'm not filled with alot of hope leading into 2017 to be honest. Our depth looks appalling, out mid-tier players look to have stagnated, and our overall best 22 doesn't look as strong as it did in 2016. I think we'll sneak in to the 8, only just.

He's a beautiful kick for goal, I could see him playing up forward a bit. A few posters have left him out of the side all together, but Scott will definitely have him in there somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back