2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the dogs as well. As an independent observer they do get a good run with the umps. 31 frees to 18 tonight.

Wasn't there a game (2015 I think?) where they had something like 27 frees to our 4. Since then I've kept bit of an eye on that and they certainly get the rub of the green (using Rosco's words).

The last 5 games.

106-62 so an average of 21.2-frees to the dogs and 12.4 to us.

18-22 (Pav's last game)
14-6 (Etihad Rd 1 2016)
25-11 (Etihad, 2015 - Fyfe won us this, umps still reported him for a trip)
19-4 (Etihad, 2014, 4 free kicks, four, FOUR, not 14)
27-19 (Rd 2, 2013, 7 players gave at least 2 free kicks away).

I just love how they keep the ball alive. They never try to lock it up and cause a stoppage the way we do. The ball is in constant motion.

Stoppage based games are boring to watch as well. The AFL has changed the rules to try and kill of that game plan, which makes Ross Lyon's persistence with it all the more bamboozling.

Thing is we used to do something like this under Ross Lyon. If only for a quarter or two to build up a big lead and then coast to the siren in defensive mode while the opposition chipped way unsuccessfully. Now we can't string 3 consecutive marks and kicks together.

I'm not sure we did that deliberately. If we did, then we should be ashamed for not going for the throat when we were given the opportunity.

The deliberate out of bounds & punching over the goal line rules, are going haywire.

I always believe in umpiring in the "spirit of the game". Forget the technicalities.

Last night there was a scrimmage, player grabs ball in the middle of a pack and hacks it downfield. The ball goes over the boundary line and is called deliberate. Fair go, a hacked kick from a pack is not deliberate.

Inside the 10 metre square with an opponent on your tail, punching the ball through, is being judged deliberate. The rule was NOT brought in for this type of defensive tactic.

I can't stand how they're paying the slightest of infringements on key forwards. Defenders can do f*** all these days. Suppose that's why the +1 is so popular now

I can't stand how they're paying the slightest of infringements on key forwards. Defenders can do f*** all these days. Suppose that's why the +1 is so popular now

well I believe it is just a small piece picture regarding rule changes and tweaking over the years
The AFL wants more goals / scoring per game = more TV ads after each goal = more bucks..
the game is being manipulated and I am more than a little pissed off with it all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back