Prediction 2017 Round 1 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Cannot have Bewick, Bastinac, C Beames, Green ,times have changed thank God.
In their defence, do think Bewick and Bastinac were quite serviceable when they played. Not outstanding performances but definitely played their roles.

back 6-
Darcy Gardner, Jack Frost, Tom Cutler.
Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Ryan Harwood.

ruck/mids-
Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams, Rhys Matheison.
Mitch Robinson, Nick Robertson, Dayne Zorko.

fwd 6-
Sam Mayes, Eric Hipwood, Josh Walker.
Lewis Taylor/Ben Ainsworth*, Josh Schache, Rohan Bewick.

bench-
Marco Paparone, Ben Keays, Tom Rockliff, Allen Christensen. emergencies- Ryan Bastinac, Tom Bell, Daniel McStay.

* nearly certain we take Ainsworth at 3, too much speculation on our other top 22 picks to hypothesize.

here is afl.coms best starting 22 for us in 2017-

B: Tom Cutler, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner
HB: Marco Paparone, Daniel McStay, Sam Mayes
C: Daniel Rich, Mitch Robinson, Allen Christensen
HF: Dayne Zorko, Josh Schache, Lewis Taylor
F: Michael Close, Eric Hipwood, Tom Bell
R: Stefan Martin, Tom Rockliff, Dayne Beams
INT: Rhys Mathieson, Ryan Bastinac, Rohan Bewick, Ryan Lester
EMERG: Ben Keays, Jack Frost, Josh Walker

Star onballer Dayne Beams was limited to two games this year after knee tendinitis and will make the Lions better when he returns. Frost was traded in and handed a three-year deal but it's telling that he spent the second half of 2016 in the VFL despite Collingwood not being blessed with key defensive options. Versatile midfielder Jacob Allison will likely be drafted as an academy selection.

NOT CONSIDERED: Nil - Dinny Navaratnam

Where's Whiting? He usually has a much better idea about this stuff.

I can't believe how unfair the criticism Bundy cops is. A quality footballer who can play as a small forward, a small defender and through the midfield doesn't have a place in our best 22? Give me a break. He isn't without his weaknesses(He can fade in and out of games and his defensive running is poor), however, I thought his role in the back half covered his deficiencies quite well because it kept him involved in the game and he doesn't have to run defensively like he does playing as a half forward or in the midfield. On top of that he offers some run out of the back half, he is a good ball user and when we have stoppages in the back half he is capable of winning the contested footy/clearances. He was actually looking quite fit and lean this season as well before breaking his collar bone. He is honestly one of our better players.
Have to agree. For a little fella he goes in exceptionally hard (see broken collarbone) Liked him rebounding of the bacline although not sure how defensive he can be running back

I think Bastinac will be a big part of Fagans plans. He wants us to learn how to handball our way out of congestion which is a skill Bastinac is probably best at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frost will be in the team. but that guys team is pretty good. for one thing unlike most Melbourne media he has clearly seen us play before and knows which ends of the ground different players have been played in the last 12 months (eg. the half back line)

I think Bastinac will be a big part of Fagans plans. He wants us to learn how to handball our way out of congestion which is a skill Bastinac is probably best at.
Cant win his own ball,and hie possession count is low given his alleged midfield status too evident why North unloaded him.

Cant win his own ball,and hie possession count is low given his alleged midfield status too evident why North unloaded him.

Averaged 9 contested possessions and 3.6 clearances. Solid numbers is a totally dysfunctional team. Top 5 at our club for averages of both. He does just fine. Plus he uses it well on the outside.

Does need to find more of the footy though.

Actually they were best 22 for the majority of the season, Bastinac left North Melbourne because he couldn't get games anymore. Yes I have casboult, Pavlich both get games ahead of our keys. Keays was pretty poor all year and you're kidding on Gardiner. I think he'll be a player but hopeless last year.

Bastinac would be infinitely better when surrounded by better players and Keays was deployed to play a defensive role and apart from his pretty woeful goalkicking, I thought he did quite well

Couple of thoughts....

Would like to see both Taylor and Bell given more midfield minutes this year.

Bell as he is a serious unit and has played some of his best football in the past in and around clearance situations. Would rather see him spending more time in a genuine midfield role and perhaps moving forward for much less minutes, rather than spending huge chunks of the game forward of the ball and floating in and out of games.

Taylor needs to get more involved and was drafted as a high production midfielder. When he is confident he is a one touch player with the ability to secure and give off the footy at lightening speed. Like Bell I just think he is wasted up forward. Further his lack of defensive pressure/ tackling makes him a bit of a liability.

Would also hope to see Paparone return to a defensive wing position, which he played quite well in 2015.

Couple of thoughts....

Bell as he is a serious unit and has played some of his best football in the past in and around clearance situations. Would rather see him spending more time in a genuine midfield role and perhaps moving forward for much less minutes, rather than spending huge chunks of the game forward of the ball and floating in and out of games.

Taylor needs to get more involved and was drafted as a high production midfielder. When he is confident he is a one touch player with the ability to secure and give off the footy at lightening speed. Like Bell I just think he is wasted up forward. Further his lack of defensive pressure/ tackling makes him a bit of a liability.

Would also hope to see Paparone return to a defensive wing position, which he played quite well in 2015.

I think given that Bell is one of the worst kicks in the AFL we don't want him getting much of the footy. He also doesn't win much contested footy. Apart from his fitness, his goal sense is his only redeeming attribute. He's capable of a couple of goals a game and can put on some good defensive pressure.

If we have to play him in the seniors I think it has to be forward.

Couple of thoughts....

Would like to think that Taylor's value will improve when he knows that the players will be where they should be for his kicks so he doesn't have to run in circles waiting. I prefer Bell on the halforward so he can snag a few goals. his kicks only seem to go straight when kicking for goals. Disposal poor otherwise.

FB: Harwood McStay Gardiner
HB: Cutler Andrews Robertson
C: Zorko Bell Rich
HF: Mayes Hipwood Lester
FF: Rocky Schache Close
R: Martin Beams Robbo
Bench: Taylor Bastinac Paperone Bewick

Emergency: Mathieson Frost Walker

FB: Harwood McStay Gardiner
HB: Cutler Andrews Robertson
C: Zorko Bell Rich
HF: Mayes Hipwood Lester
FF: Rocky Schache Close
R: Martin Beams Robbo
Bench: Taylor Bastinac Paperone Bewick

Emergency: Mathieson Frost Walker
Nice work. But man that is one slow looking forward line.

My best 22.

DEFENCE
KPD: Frost & McStay
Floating defenders: Andrews, Paparone
Utility defender: Gardiner
Rebounding: Cutler & Mayes

MIDFIELD
Ball winners: Rockcliff, Mathieson, Keays
Ball users/Scoring: Zorko, Rich, DBeams
Shut down: Robinson
Big bodied utilities: Robertson & Jansen
Ruckman: Martin

FORWARD
KP Forwards: Schache, Close Hipwood.
Small Forwards: Ainsworth, Christensen

Emergency
Bastinac, Harwood, Lester Gardiner

My best 22.

DEFENCE
KPD: Frost & McStay
Floating defenders: Andrews, Paparone
Utility defender: Gardiner
Rebounding: Cutler & Mayes

MIDFIELD
Ball winners: Rockcliff, Mathieson, Keays
Ball users/Scoring: Zorko, Rich, DBeams
Shut down: Robinson
Big bodied utilities: Robertson & Jansen
Ruckman: Martin

FORWARD
KP Forwards: Schache, Close Hipwood.
Small Forwards: Ainsworth, Christensen

Emergency
Bastinac, Harwood, Lester Gardiner
Nice job, but I think Harzy if fit will be providing rebound off the back, Gardiner is in twice, obviously flicking Mayes between HBF and HFF, Paps will probably go to a wing role. But who knows interesting to see who Fagan rates and who he doesnt, make or break year for Lester.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back