List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & FA Targets Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we don't make finals & dont look like improving towards top 4 next year then there's no point two 34 year olds continuing. Joey & Roo will clear up even more cap space. How the hell are we gonna get to 105% cap? Pretty sure we have to pay that much next year.
Hope you're wearing you Kevlar vest when you post that s**t ;)

All the talk seems to be that clubs ask these prominent ones for final decisions right about now though, so that they can plan their list strategy going forward, and some decisions recently were apparently made before the last year at their previous club even started. Eg. Buddy Franklin.

These agreements may be non binding, but if you give a club your word and they plan their list build around you being there, it would be a hell of a prick of a thing to do to go back on your word and completely stuff that club (and multi-million-dollar organisation) around.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting for a second that wins are the "be all and end all". If that's what you think I'm suggesting for instance then you've completely missed the point I'm making (as you're accusing Defacto of doing to you) and you must also think I came down in the last shower!

I am extraordinary aware that all sorts of things would go into it, but one of, if not the major thing in someone's eyes, would be where we're at as a team and where we're heading, and if they were, like I said earlier, 51/49 about coming to us a few weeks ago, (when we looked like we might be really starting to take the next step) our major downturn in form since may have made the 2% difference to their view of us that tips the scales from 51/49 our way, to 49/51 against. Just as they're about to make their final call (if they're about to make their final call- which is a hypothetical).

2% is so far from the "be all and end all", but it may still be all that's needed, in some cases.

Gary Ablett said that in his last year at Geelong he was changing his mind from one week to the next as to whether to stay or go and I'm pretty sure i read in that Freeman article the other day that Nathan hardly slept for two weeks as he weighed up his options.

So we're not talking here about robots who are able to make a clinical decision, we're talking about young guys who have a huge life-changing decision to make and it could be causing them a lot of stress. So it might only take one small thing at a crucial time to tip them away from a particular club, if it's a genuine line-ball call. If they're 80/20 then a 2% change is clearly not going to tip the scales against a club, on the other hand and I've never suggested it would.

agree with this. there is going to be so many things that go into what club a free agent chooses, but i think on-field success is going to be a large part of the players decision. you just dont see sort after Free Agents go to clubs that are not finalists. its extremely rare

All the talk seems to be that clubs ask these prominent ones for final decisions right about now though, so that they can plan their list strategy going forward, and some decisions recently were apparently made before the last year at their previous club even started. Eg. Buddy Franklin.

These agreements may be non binding, but if you give a club your word and they plan their list build around you being there, it would be a hell of a prick of a thing to do to go back on your word and completely stuff that club (and multi-million-dollar organisation) around.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting for a second that wins are the "be all and end all". If that's what you think I'm suggesting for instance then you've completely missed the point I'm making (as you're accusing Defacto of doing to you) and you must also think I came down in the last shower!

I am extraordinary aware that all sorts of things would go into it, but one of, if not the major thing in someone's eyes, would be where we're at as a team and where we're heading, and if they were, like I said earlier, 51/49 about coming to us a few weeks ago, (when we looked like we might be really starting to take the next step) our major downturn in form since may have made the 2% difference that tips the scales from 51/49 our way to 49/51 against, just as they're about to make their final call (if they're about to make their final call- which is a hypothetical).

2% is so far from the "be all and end all", but it may still be all that's needed, in some cases.

Gary Ablett said that in his last year at Geelong he was changing his mind from one week to the next as to whether to stay or go and I'm pretty sure i read in that Freeman article the other day that Nathan hardly slept for two weeks as he weighed up his options.

So we're not talking here about robots who are able to make a clinical decision, we're talking about young guys who have a huge life-changing decision to make and it could be causing them a lot of stress. So it might only take one small thing at a crucial time to tip them away from a particular club, if it's a genuine line-ball call. If they're 80/20 then a 2% change is clearly not going to tip the scales against a club, on the other hand and I've never suggested it would

I agree with you. I was merely pointing out that the last 3 weeks don't necessarily mean that a player would change their mind mid stream.

If you were looking at potential suitors and their respective futures starting today, then yes it wouldn't look good.

That said, if a decision has been made then it's likely to be beyond the point of no return.

Recall the conversation I had with Trout a few years? That's what he was alluding to when it comes to player movement.

Another example us Treloar. I know a mate of his and his main ambition was to play on the big stage in front of big crowds and Collingwood were his best shot. So no other club stood a real chance of getting him. He passed up the opportunity of instant flag success for what he preferred.

Just like Danger was probably only ever going to Geelong.

Many factors. :)

how much would we have to pay for lever and do you think he'd be worth it? I really like the idea of shoring up our backline. Cant swing carlisle forward if we have no structure without him. Goddard could come good but until then? use our pick on Lever and other and a later pick on Kelly? Dreaming?

how much would we have to pay for lever and do you think he'd be worth it? I really like the idea of shoring up our backline. Cant swing carlisle forward if we have no structure without him. Goddard could come good but until then? use our pick on Lever and other and a later pick on Kelly? Dreaming?
I rate Lever very highly, would cost a bit though.

Kelly & Lever would be a pretty good haul.

But how are you going to get two contracted players in the same trade period? To my mind a uncontracted player no draft picks required, and a contracted player is possible,

With all the hype of our draft pics available this year as well as cash if we cannot lure some quality players at seasons end we will never be a sought after club . Those senior players mentioned should retire this year sadly Riewoldt included . Montagna should be retired a week earlier so roo gets the limelight all for himself . After that if we dont improve slowly the talent we have acquired will one by one ask to be traded and the ship will have sailed . The next 12 weeks are crucial to the next 10 years . Scary stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shouldve post: 4 years ago when Dunstan was drafted I thought Trent Dumont his SA team mate would have been a better option due to his running capacities. Dumont is now playing very solid midfield minutes with North and looks a future AFL player - where is Dunstan now Trout? SLOW only gets SLOWER at AFL level.

Being a likeable solid citizen doesnt win football matches.

If Bruce's form doesnt warrant a recall Saints upgrade Marshall and play him.

Shouldve post: 4 years ago when Dunstan was drafted I thought Trent Dumont his SA team mate would have been a better option due to his running capacities. Dumont is now playing very solid midfield minutes with North and looks a future AFL player - where is Dunstan now Trout? SLOW only gets SLOWER at AFL level.

Yeah , I want a chop stick stabbing , wall punching campaigner :D

This is petty point scoring at its worst. I'm sure there are plenty of other instances where Trout and the team have picked a player who has turned out better than your preference.

True mobile KPF - Josh Battle (already on list)

Inside/Outside mid - Josh Kelly, Dustin Martin

Run & Carry x2 - Lachie Whitfield & 2017 draftee

Ruck - get the all the above right & I'm not sure you really need an awesome ruckman. Look at the recent grand finalists - McEvoy, Hale, Boyd, Roughead, Tippett, Naismith - not one above average ruckman there. Only genuine star ruckmen have been on the losing side in Nic Nat (2015) & Sandi (2013)

If this, or similar is achieved, Longer becomes the best ruckman in thr comp. All of the sudden his HOTA are being used efficiently and resulting in scores.

This is petty point scoring at its worst. I'm sure there are plenty of other instances where Trout and the team have picked a player who has turned out better than your preference.

Its not point scoring Trout continually boasted how well he did in that draft. He also pushes drafting quality individuals being selected over others. Im just suggesting that he didnt get them all right and he needed to consider other footballing traits over personalities.

Its not point scoring Trout continually boasted how well he did in that draft. He also pushes drafting quality individuals being selected over others. Im just suggesting that he didnt get them all right and he needed to consider other footballing traits over personalities.

Unless you know something I don't I'm not sure where he has done this...

So you're saying Trout drafted Dunstan cause he was a good bloke? You surely can't actually believe such dribble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back