News 2018 Pre-season, huff, puff, houses-trained-down and NEWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Which event is that? It could be the one I'm headed to.
Well as far as I know he's only booked for one function mate as it goes for 4 hours.. Danger and Sel there as well

Must have been a weekend off b4 jlt1 for everyone. The wags yesterday. Saw a great video of TH and a few of the boys on his insta story boozed from last night.
Gap week is it

So.....How is the Little Champs hammy mate?
Good news please.:)
Gotta be honest. It never got mentioned... gaz said he has done 95% of pre season though.

But Sel did say Kelly was a good supercoach pick as he will be playing a lot of senior footy

Im curious at the relative silence on Menzel thus far -

Seems to be fully fit and played well in slap and tickle games: but no press or talk of where he is at and how he is feeling.

I think with good delivery into F50 with all eyes on the resting mid that goes there, he can be a real winner this year.

He's got fantastic hands and a great kick from 45-50.

Want to see how he goes. He might get that 2 year deal at the end of 18 he's looking for after all.

GO Catters

Gotta be honest. It never got mentioned... gaz said he has done 95% of pre season though.

But Sel did say Kelly was a good supercoach pick as he will be playing a lot of senior footy

Umm 23 year old in a team with a history of playing mature players straight away (stokes podsiadly menegola ruggles stewart etc) is going to play a lot of senior footy early on? Gee Sel thanks for telling us something we would never have known

Did you ask Sel how his brother's recovery is tracking mate?

Seems to be fully fit and played well in slap and tickle games: but no press or talk of where he is at and how he is feeling.

I think with good delivery into F50 with all eyes on the resting mid that goes there, he can be a real winner this year.

Want to see how he goes. He might get that 2 year deal at the end of 18 he's looking for after all.

GO Catters

I think Menzel playing along side small forwards will take the heat off his lack of defensive pressure
Goals win games and he knows how to kick them better than any other player on our list.

Also stronger believe if Gregson is fit he’s in our best 18 purely because of his pressure and speed

GO Catters

Reading between the lines here but there's this inherent tension with Menzel. I think he will always be of the mind that he's overcome shocking injuries and he's a pretty solid player. However, when you break it down to the stats he averages 12 disposals and less than 2 goals and 2 tackles a game. He is one injury away from being done. People (myself included) are blinded by his flashiness and story. The stats show that he's just a good player and the club being responsible need to treat him that way. Be that in the media or with average contract offers. He's not worth much more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menzel is a class player ... and a 40 goal forward with elite hands in the marking contest.

He'll play round 1.
I hope so and I love him - just trying to scrub off some of the rose tint on those glasses we all wear (in response to Daz' question).

GO Catters
agree. think he could kick 40 plus goals this year and be rated an elite forward by champion data.

agree. think he could kick 40 plus goals this year and be rated an elite forward by champion data.
could GAF about CD rankings.

Just want him to play well and help us win games.

GO Catters

GO Catters
I'm not so curious... there are plenty of players we haven't heard much about .

Let's see what happens the next fortnight and go from there.

GO Catters
I'm like that with cocky dazbroncos.....there has been nothing about the path w his injury from last yr, the progression and the now?! Wtf give us something on the most exciting kid we have

GO Catters

No news is good news in preseason, its either nothing puff pieces or injuries and you don't really want to read either.

I hope so and I love him - just trying to scrub off some of the rose tint on those glasses we all wear (in response to Daz' question).

I think the lack of pressure thing last season stemmed from the fact the rest of the teams in the top 4 had small forwards to were tackling machines and we didn't have any. Hawks glory years, look at Gunstans role. Sits forward, clean hands, kicks the goals his teammates can't.
That is Menz role. He isn't a tackling machine. He doesn't do a Pods and break packs. But he takes clean marks and kicks goals when we need to build on pressure or steady the ship. And if we had Gregson and Linc last season to add some goals and a whole lot of tackling pressure, you would have read nothing on Menzels lack of pressure last season.

GO Catters
I like how there is now no mention of Menz during a pre-season these days. Used to be "Dan Menzel's return from injury is progressing well with him completing a full week on the track" or similar. Now he is just one of 44

Menzel on paper is excellent. 40 goals a years, good hands.

But taking a view of a forward line, where does he fit in? He lacks defensive pressure, agility to play as a small forward. If he plays as one of our talls he will have his hands full against a bigger defender. Doesnt have that height to play as a chf and his body probably wont allow him to play as a lead up forward.

The coaches will have a battler on their hands as i dont see him and dangerfield/ablett working well in the same forward as he does his best work one on one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back