Preview 2019 Goodbye (To 2020) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

PORT ADELAIDE

Results:
Defeated Brisbane Lions 98-77, defeated Western Bulldogs 95-85

Port Adelaide will be sweating on the fitness of key forward Charlie Dixon and No. 1 ruckman Scott Lycett after they both suffered injuries on Saturday. Neither injury looked serious, but the clock is ticking ahead of Round 1. The Power stormed home in outback South Australia in the final Marsh Community Series game, with Jarrod Lienert kicking the last two goals of the game to win it. Travis Boak and Sam Powell-Pepper both banked strong performances on the eve of the real stuff, while Todd Marshall impressed inside 50, kicking two goals from seven marks. First round pick Mitch Georgiades looms as a Round 1 bolter after two eye-catching efforts in the pre-season. The young forward didn’t play at all in 2019 due to a quad issue, but looks capable of playing plenty of senior football this year.
Grade: B

Tough markers. It’s a solid B, haven’t done a lot wrong.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tough markers. It’s a solid B, haven’t done a lot wrong.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep was going to comment similarly. Both opponents were touted as top 4 contenders, and we beat both "away", at times looking convincing. Toss in a win here against the others and I reckon it's an A-.

Yeah I definitely thought B was a tough grade. Port couldn't have done much more this preseason. When you're rotating the field a lot with an extended bench, you're going to have some better and worse patches of play, but on the whole Port played hard and didn't give up much, and got both wins against top 8 teams fielding pretty decent teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the last 5 years I don't know how even the most ardent of Port supporters has a modicum of confidence in winning a showdown
Hinkley is still the coach right? We could make the Crows look like a top 4 side.

After the last 5 years I don't know how even the most ardent of Port supporters has a modicum of confidence in winning a showdown

Maybe it’s the fact that we smashed them the last time we played them, and we only lost by 20 with half our team missing the previous game?

Heard Rory on the news blabbering and bumbling his way through trying to convince everyone that Crows supporters have a lot to look forward to this year.

How he doesn't understand what these new young kids are talking about these days.

source.gif

Maybe it’s the fact that we smashed them the last time we played them, and we only lost by 20 with half our team missing the previous game?
We smashed them round 2 2014, then got soundly beaten in the return leg. And the 3-7 record against them in the last 5 years speaks for itself.

How he doesn't understand what these new young kids are talking about these days.

source.gif
I am still trying to work out a few things with our young players.
1583882333802.png

What's this hand signal about, then pointing to their face.
Some are doing a type of foot shuffle dance after a goal. William's did it in the U23 game.
Looks like the young players are enjoying their time at Port.

Last edited:
I am still trying to work out a few thing with our young players.
View attachment 837351

What's this hand signal about, then pointing to their face.
Some are doing a type of foot shuffle dance after a goal. William's did it in the U23 game.
Looks like the young players are enjoying their time at Port.
The rubbing the face was a dig at a coach saying they aren't old enough to shave yet and they are this good.

Where does outback South Australia start? In that SBS slow train program on The Ghan it seemed to be just after the train got past Two Wells.
WWT's country zone starts somewhere just north of Two Wells as their metro zone is joined to their city zone. I wrote about it in either the academy thread or father son thread a couple of weeks ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back