2019 New Zealand vs England (5 T20Is, 2 Tests)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Why don't they stick with the match day coverage during the lunch break instead of cutting away to a filler program?

corbies

Spec Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Newcastle
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, WHam, Cronulla
Bowling first looks a strange decision given the conditions in the 1st session. I think the stats show winning the toss and bowling first has actually seen Test teams lose more matches than they've won in the last 10 or so years.

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Bowling first looks a strange decision given the conditions in the 1st session. I think the stats show winning the toss and bowling first has actually seen Test teams lose more matches than they've won in the last 10 or so years.
I've never looked into the stats, but it seems to backfire more often than not.

BarryMorgan

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Despite some admittedly fearsome spells during the Ashes, anyone think people might’ve jumped the gun on calling Archer the next big thing in English cricket? Has one wicket in his past 60 something test overs.

FRUMPY

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Despite some admittedly fearsome spells during the Ashes, anyone think people might’ve jumped the gun on calling Archer the next big thing in English cricket? Has one wicket in his past 60 something test overs.
Depends if he decides to bowl fast or go through the motions. Even during the ashes he went through the motions, especially when pitch didnt suit him (or until smith came to bat)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snarls Barkley

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, West Ham
Stokes again. What has happened to him. He’d probably be the guy I’d choose to catch a ball if my life was on the line. Not anymore

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
He’s in his 6th Test and took 20 wickets in 4 tests during the most high intensity series on the planet.

Geez no one gets cut much slack these days.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
A good recovery from Latham and Taylor after losing a couple of early wickets, hopefully Raval gets replaced for the series here as he's a walking wicket.

Stokes again. What has happened to him. He’d probably be the guy I’d choose to catch a ball if my life was on the line. Not anymore
Just helping out his countrymen.

Snarls Barkley

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, West Ham
A good recovery from Latham and Taylor after losing a couple of early wickets, hopefully Raval gets replaced for the series here as he's a walking wicket.

Just helping out his countrymen.
Haha where was that patriotism is the WC final?

BarryMorgan

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He’s in his 6th Test and took 20 wickets in 4 tests during the most high intensity series on the planet.

Good point - there just seems to be a massive difference when he’s cranking it up and when he’s just going through the motions.

SSwans2011

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, Crystal Palace

I agree to an extent, but let's not forget how brittle the Australian battting attack was.

The first innings of the first Test proved that it was pretty fragile even without Archer bowling to it.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree to an extent, but let's not forget how brittle the Australian battting attack was.

The first innings of the first Test proved that it was pretty fragile even without Archer bowling to it.
Absolutely it was.

But it’s as though people were expecting MORE from him and he’s been a tremendous let down.

If a batsman started his career with a couple of centuries and 400 runs in an ashes series and then had a quiet first test overseas no one would say a word.

SSwans2011

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, Crystal Palace
Absolutely it was.

But it’s as though people were expecting MORE from him and he’s been a tremendous let down.

If a batsman started his career with a couple of centuries and 400 runs in an ashes series and then had a quiet first test overseas no one would say a word.
I'm not sure if people were expecting more from him, just arguing his Ashes performance wasn't exactly as shocking as it was made to be.

He had a great series, but it did take place on wickets very friendly towards bowlers against a very, very weak batting line-up.

As for batsmen, Handscomb had a similar debut series to what you described to what you described (399 runs) and people weren't going nearly as OTT about that. I'm not sure the Ashes justifies that discrepancy in the response.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Latham > Warner

We just need to find another opener to replace Raval and we will have a formidable top 6.

I'd bring back Rutherford for the Australian tour, he's far from perfect either but he couldn't be any worse than Raval.

RohitSharma

Club Legend
Feb 17, 2015
Bandra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United and Barcelona
Latham > Warner

We just need to find another opener to replace Raval and we will have a formidable top 6.

I'd bring back Rutherford for the Australian tour, he's far from perfect either but he couldn't be any worse than Raval.
Don't be a racist mate

Top Bottom