2020 Planning thread - a.k.a pre-season misplaced confidence and collective insanity

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else feel as though that defenders are the most variable? Last year it was a bit of a mixed bag and a lot of the premium defenders were inconsistent at times. Crisp was good, but like some have alluded to you always felt unsure, Lloyd was solid but he fell off a cliff at the end, Whitfield isn't available any more, Laird couldn't be trusted etc.

It'll be interesting to see if Williams gets a run through the GWS midfield again with Cogs and the rest of the injured brigade back, and if Houli continues to seagull. Seems to be more questions than answers and I can't really settle on a defense I like. Might be willing to undercut my defense and focus on putting in players who will strengthen my other positions (ruck, mid, forward) whom I know what I'll be getting from them. Anyone got a similar problem and are willing to talk me out of a speculative mid price defensive line?

Houston, Doc, Blakely, Roberton + two rookies is my backline....

At least I’m not the only one struggling with my forward line

Currently running with

Whitfield
Petracca
Greenwood
C Jones
Georgiades
Budarick
Budarick quarter by quarter scoring was interesting.
22, 33,. 6, 4.
Came out of the blocks. Played 108mins so not exactly rested.
6kicks, 8h, 3m, 4t 1G.

More handballs than kicks, and a 10pt half are typical fantasy nightmares.

22, 33,. 6, 4.
6kicks, 8h, 3m, 4t 1G.

True but atm he is looking one of the best options which means we may be stuck with 40s every other week

22, 33,. 6, 4.
6kicks, 8h, 3m, 4t 1G.

Yeah it’s not great but not really
Any other rookie options atm

Because of the s**t options we have, i downgraded M3 (Gaff) to accommodate with the higher priced rookies.

My forwards atm

Whitfield, D.Smith??(Kinda dont want him), Wingard, Greenwood, Bonar, Jones .... (King and Rankine on the bench and preferably never on field)

Not confident on Budarick on the field lads, thats if he gets a game round 1

I'm about to pull the trigger and get him in, only problem is one of Macrae and Dunkley will have to come out.
Unfortunately that would be my dilemma as well. Only other fully priced premium I could remove is Grundy, and I'm not doing that.
Yep, at this stage I'm running with midprice madness in defence.
I reckon have a go at predicting the top 6 - 8 defenders and pick the ones with the most upside. The exception being if you think one may be required for captaincy. Given this year's list, that is probably unlikely.
Yeah that's the positive affirmation I needed so I don't feel alone if the strategy goes south. Agree on the thinking for the forward line. A lot with upside whereas the defenders don't seem to have that forward line 'potential' that you touched on.
I don't think there are any rules. The last few winners have started mid pricers; and some pretty bad ones at that.

I put this on here a while ago: it is what I consider to be the ultimate starting team last year. I do it after each year and there are always plenty of midpricers. Each season by round 8 the scoring is higher than the then leader without a single trade factored in. In 2018 it was 600 points clear without altering one player, rookies the lot.

2019 Ultimate Team Rds 1 -8.png
Numbers at the bottom are: Grundy's (C) points, team value, Fantasy points by Rd 8 and salary cap remaining

Unfortunately that would be my dilemma as well. Only other fully priced premium I could remove is Grundy, and I'm not doing that.

I reckon have a go at predicting the top 6 - 8 defenders and pick the ones with the most upside. The exception being if you think one may be required for captaincy. Given this year's list, that is probably unlikely.

I don't think there are any rules. The last few winners have started mid pricers; and some pretty bad ones at that.

I put this on here a while ago: it is what I consider to be the ultimate starting team last year. I do it after each year and there are always plenty of midpricers. Each season by round 8 the scoring is higher than the then leader without a single trade factored in. In 2018 it was 600 points clear without altering one player, rookies the lot.

View attachment 831017
Numbers at the bottom are: Grundy's (C) points, team value, Fantasy points by Rd 8 and salary cap remaining

This is very helpful post.

Edit: pressed post by accident. But yes, gives a good idea for initial team composition!

Last edited:
Think of the utility as an extra position of your choice, but you are confined to the actual positions of the player you select.

e.g. if you have say Brandon Starcevich as your utility he is DEF/MID, so you would be able to substitute him into your DEF or MIDS any week, or use him as an emergency for those positions.

That's my understanding at least.
Correct. And the substituted player then moves to the Utility position

I’m noticing a lot of people are running Whitfield, Wingard, Greenwood at F1-3, it’s a good ploy but they all have the round 14 bye which could hurt at that time. Factor in most are starting a Bulldogs mid and Titch who both have that bye round as well and you’re already up to 5 premos with the same bye

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m noticing a lot of people are running Whitfield, Wingard, Greenwood at F1-3, it’s a good ploy but they all have the round 14 bye which could hurt at that time. Factor in most are starting a Bulldogs mid and Titch who both have that bye round as well and you’re already up to 5 premos with the same bye

Ive actually never even considered my bye structure at all. But ive just had a look at it, and im impressed with it ahah.
Rnd12:6
Rnd13:8
Rnd14:8

So defs manageable with that till we get closer and we have 20+ trades to get it right before Round 12 starts!

PAFC27 thought your call in the podcast about the 3rd/4th year breakout shifting to 2nd year really interesting. Would love to hear more on this.

Would mean players like Walsh, ROB, B.Smith, Rozee all should be looked at more closely.
The junior system has become so much more advanced. A majority of the top draft prospects are all playing with and against eachother from U/14s onwards with generally an AFL standard coach. For example, an ex AFL player straight out the game often steps into a development role to start building a coaching resume - often at state league or development squad level. We've got young kids being exposed to an AFL regime so much earlier with much better facilities and careful consideration like load management in place. Draftees are coming in fitter, stronger, more skilled and ready to play - just this year we had Jay Rantall knock off the time trial king Tom Phillips at Collingwood. A common roadblock for potential is that the role they exceed in isn't there or their body isn't ready for it yet - and we see this when highly touted junior midfielders start as a small forward or more outside mid. There's no doubting this will still be the case and it often does take 3-4 years at AFL level for them to find their feet...but I think with draftees being more equipped than ever for the real stuff that the door will be left open for top notch talent to excel faster. Clayton Oliver is the poster boy for this in my opinion

does anyone have a link to the Bushfire relief game AF stats? The afl website is a dumpster fire.

The AFL app has all the stats from the game. Just go to match centre and go to competition and go to state of origin. Should get to it
cc94d7b98460294ac92e60d218097108.jpg

its no longer up.... For whatever reason the afl have already pulled the games match centre from their official app and website. No longer able to see anything other than highlight videos and match report.
Go in to match centre and up the top where you select marsh series or season proper, you can select State of Origin

Because of the s**t options we have, i downgraded M3 (Gaff) to accommodate with the higher priced rookies.

My forwards atm

Whitfield, D.Smith??(Kinda dont want him), Wingard, Greenwood, Bonar, Jones .... (King and Rankine on the bench and preferably never on field)

Not confident on Budarick on the field lads, thats if he gets a game round 1
Budarick will outscored Bonar.. heard it hear first (on a $perpoint basis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back